1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Oct '10 15:01
    If a guy claims vacation during a game and it goes a couple of weeks, then you check his profile and find out he is making moves on other boards but still claiming vacation on yours and a few more, is there a rule about that?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Oct '10 16:30
    no.

In the past i have set my vacation setting and while away had a quick peek and played easy/obvious moves in some games but left the complicated ones until I get home.
  3. Subscriberjankrb
    Conductor
    Zwolle
    Moves
    11 Oct '10 16:54
    No.

When I was on holiday I found an internetcafé where I made a few moves in easy games. That's not forbidden.
  4. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    11 Oct '10 23:14
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    If a guy claims vacation during a game and it goes a couple of weeks, then you check his profile and find out he is making moves on other boards but still claiming vacation on yours and a few more, is there a rule about that?
    Yes, the rule is he is allowed to do as he pleases while on vacation.

His time is still being eaten away so when he does eventually come off vacation he will have less time to make his moves in your games.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    12 Oct '10 13:29
    it seems fishy, and most sites prevent it. Even so, I understand making moves in easy games while dragging on those in which you are outclassed.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Oct '10 14:51
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    it seems fishy, and most sites prevent it. Even so, I understand making moves in easy games while dragging on those in which you are outclassed.
    Well I don't do that. If I see I am in a clear loss, I just click resign. I don't drag them on needlessly. Individual style I guess.
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 02:39
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well I don't do that. If I see I am in a clear loss, I just click resign. I don't drag them on needlessly. Individual style I guess.
    I'm not talking about a clear loss, but a game that requires extra effort because your opponent is highly skilled. Extra time spent can equalize in some cases.
  8. Joined
    07 Apr '10
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 05:03
    the amount of vacation you get is limited anyway. If someone has nothing better to do than strategize how they use their vacation days to some how get an advantage, more power to them.
  9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 10:43
    I usually use my vacation setting when I am playing in an OTB tournament over a long weekend.

Even though I have the vacation setting on, I usually sign on over breakfast at home before I go to a tournament, and I will make "easy moves" if they are available to be made- usually forced moves or recaptures, or if we're still in the opening and I know what I am going to play.

As I see it, playing those "easy moves" is considerate to the other players in those games, but does no harm to the players of the rest of the games where our positions are more complicated, and I will need more time to figure out what to do.

Paul
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 12:56
    The intention of the 'Vacation Period' was from the beginning to allow people to go to a well deserved vacation, perhaps to a place where there was no internet connection. But people want to do whatever they decide during their 'Vacation Period', why not play some chess?

I propose that we rename 'Vacation Period' to 'Immunity Period', because that is exactly what it is.
    A period when you are in absolute immunity from timeouts. Perhaps you are on a vacation to a place where there is no internet connection, sitting in jail for a limited period of time, preparing for a exam at university, on honeymoon, or whatever it is you're doing that makes you unable to play chess. Doesn't matter what you're doing, noone have to know it. Perhaps you're just low on time and have too much game load at hand. Doesn't matter.

So I suggest we call it "Immunity Period", or at least think of it as such.
  11. Standard memberWhiteknuckle
    High Priest–Low Cult
    Sudan, TX USA
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 17:16
    I've read the other postings but I cannot find a page on Vacation policy. I have a tournament player taking Vacation 10 minutes before timeout. His bank is used up so he takes Vacation. What can be done to keep players, like this one, from simply taking Vacation in place of the time bank? It appears that Vacation is better named Manual Time Bank. It offers no consideration for the opposing player or players in a tournament.

I suggest Vacation should be restructured to provide options the other player would agree to before playing. These could include a known future Vacation time, and a standard, one time, Emergency Vacation time. During Vacation, the player would be forbidden to move. The waiting player would, as it is now, have the choice of taking a win or letting the Vacationer do his thing.

This would help individual gamers and particularly tournaments.

Whiteknuckle
  12. Joined
    07 Apr '10
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 18:12
    Originally posted by Whiteknuckle
    I've read the other postings but I cannot find a page on Vacation policy. I have a tournament player taking Vacation 10 minutes before timeout. His bank is used up so he takes Vacation. What can be done to keep players, like this one, from simply taking Vacation in place of the time bank? It appears that Vacation is better named Manual Time Bank. It off ...[text shortened]... o his thing.

Whiteknuckle
    Have you considered that he's legitimately busy? Maybe he just had a new baby? Maybe his mum is in hospital.

Vacation already has a limit-max two weeks per year. That's good enough. I just used a week of vacation and it was really helpful-if I couldn't play my 1 day ladder timeout game because the hotel wi-fi didn't work I didn't have to stress. Having to arrange permission with your opponents would be a real hassle-especially in larger tournaments. You never know when a round will start or how quickly a game will progress.
  13. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 19:02
    Originally posted by Whiteknuckle
    I've read the other postings but I cannot find a page on Vacation policy. I have a tournament player taking Vacation 10 minutes before timeout. His bank is used up so he takes Vacation. What can be done to keep players, like this one, from simply taking Vacation in place of the time bank? It appears that Vacation is better named Manual Time Bank. It off ...[text shortened]... o his thing.

Whiteknuckle
    I would say do away with vacation time all together and play to the time controls you agreed to in the games when they started.
  14. Joined
    10 Nov '06
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 19:33
    Originally posted by adramforall
    I would say do away with vacation time all together and play to the time controls you agreed to in the games when they started.
    The time controls I agreed to at the start of my games included an option to take vacation
  15. Standard memberWhiteknuckle
    High Priest–Low Cult
    Sudan, TX USA
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 21:502 edits
    Yo Darax,

Where do I find the rules on Vacation?

If my mum is sick, I email the dude and say "Look here sport, my mum's sick and I need 5 days to figure out an answer to your fork-how about it?"

There would be a radio button to agree or disagree which would then be the adjusted rule for that game.

Whiteknukle

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree