Question on Fianchetto with pawns at e4 or d4

Question on Fianchetto with pawns at e4 or d4

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a

Moves
16 Jul 09
2 edits

Often I see people, grandmasters down to novices, fianchetto their bishop at g2 and have a pawn at e4 or fianchetto at b2 and have a pawn at d4. Their are times when this is seemingly done pre-planned, i.e. not forced. This sort of position seems to me as though it defies a central idea of fianchettoing your bishop which is controlling the long diagonal. What is the purpose of a fianchetto with pawns in the center?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Jul 09

Originally posted by amolv06
Often I see people, grandmasters down to novices, fianchetto their bishop at g2 and have a pawn at e4 or fianchetto at b2 and have a pawn at d4. Their are times when this is seemingly done pre-planned, i.e. not forced. This sort of position seems to me as though it defies a central idea of fianchettoing your bishop which is controlling the long diagonal. What is the purpose of a fianchetto with pawns in the center?
The fianchetto protects the Pawn and the arrangement allows for a discovered attack on the long diagonal.

V

Moves
16 Jul 09

What is the purpose of a fianchetto with pawns in the center?
Sometimes when something doesn't look so good statically - i.e. from the immediate fixed point of view - then you may want to consider it dynamically - i.e. what if the pawns were to move, etc.

For bishop on g2, pawn on e4, even if White's pawn is fixed it may still be serving a role by deterring Black from playing e.g. f5. Similarly, if White could get an outpost to d5/f5, exchanging this may lead to improving the scope of the fianchetto bishop, therefore helping support the outpost.

Sometimes a latent feature of the position limits the opponent's options if they need to avoid making the feature more active, hence it still impacts the game. Compare moves where a rook is not played to an open file but instead is played to a file where either side may try to open it in the near future. Again, dynamic possibilities rather than immediate static considerations.

a
Frustrate the Bad

Liverpool

Moves
16 Jul 09

This (Varenka's post) is generally correct - dynamic/long-term trumps static/short-term - but not entirely. Experience tells us that g2 with e4, and g7/e5, work well enough: the King's Indian Attack/Defence (KIA/KID) are good examples. But b2/d4 is less frequently observed than b7/d5, possibly because the QID is quite popular for Black.

These various set-ups need study though; they do break the 'rule' that the fianchettoed bishop should not usually be impeded by one's own pawn - for obvious reasons

N
10. O-O

Kalispell, MT

Moves
17 Jul 09

Originally posted by Varenka
Sometimes when something doesn't look so good statically - i.e. from the immediate fixed point of view - then you may want to consider it dynamically - i.e. what if the pawns were to move, etc.

For bishop on g2, pawn on e4, even if White's pawn is fixed it may still be serving a role by deterring Black from playing e.g. f5. Similarly, if White could get ...[text shortened]... n the near future. Again, dynamic possibilities rather than immediate static considerations.
rec'd.

Information which is useful to all players, and insightful! A very good way
of describing the ideas.

Good post.

-GIN

a

Moves
17 Jul 09
1 edit

Thanks for the answers! Very helpful. My opponents (and GMs) moves of this sort make some sense now in light of your posts.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
17 Jul 09

often it's only a problem if there are no breaks and the pawn gets stuck there. to break through, you generally need to somehow fix a pawn first, or it'll just advance and lock the door for good. one rock isn't enough to crack a nut if you have only soft things to put it against. you need a rock AND a hard place to crack anything hard like a defensive pawn structure.