1. Joined
    18 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 21:271 edit
    Is the idea with this type of opening to lock up the middle, because that seems to happen often. I am new to chess and this is the only opening I have used. The responses I get from black are nothing like the GM games I have looked at... so they are not much help to me yet. I have been lucky with a few games, but I feel like I am always playing from behind. I chose this opening so i wouldnt have to learn book lines... maybe that wasnt a very good reason🙂 Does anyone here play this type of openging much?

Of course It may just be that I dont play very well yet...
  2. Joined
    01 Aug '04
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 23:27
    The KIA (as used by GMs) is generally a quiet, positional opening that postpones the battle until the middlegame. It can lead to some interesting strategic battles. However, it's probably not the best choice for you as a beginner because you haven't developed the positional skills to handle the opening well. You would probably do best playing 1.e4 as recommended by most advanced players as the place to start with openings.

Good luck!
    Scott
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 01:35
    Originally posted by lepomis
    Is the idea with this type of opening to lock up the middle, because that seems to happen often. I am new to chess and this is the only opening I have used. The responses I get from black are nothing like the GM games I have looked at... so they are not much help to me yet. I have been lucky with a few games, but I feel like I am always playing from behin ...[text shortened]... e play this type of openging much?

Of course It may just be that I dont play very well yet...
    The King's Indian Attack isn't particualrly ambitioius, but it is an excellent opening if your goal in the opening merely to enter a playable middlegame.

I think that your growth as a player will be faster if you play 1 e4, which often creates early tactical opportunites (for both sides!). At my level (1800 USCF) and below, most games are decided by tactical lapses by the loser.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 02:28
    The KIA is the best opening for beginners because it's basic setup cannot be stopped and it can be played if you're Black as well against any of White's choices of openings.
  5. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 03:11
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The KIA is the best opening for beginners because it's basic setup cannot be stopped and it can be played if you're Black as well against any of White's choices of openings.
    I don't agree. Learn the basics first which means starting with the oldest and most honourable of them all - e4 and most notably the Ruy Lopez. Only then start looking for other repertoires. But then I'm a traditionalist 8-)
  6. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 03:42
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    I don't agree. Learn the basics first which means starting with the oldest and most honourable of them all - e4 and most notably the Ruy Lopez. Only then start looking for other repertoires. But then I'm a traditionalist 8-)
    I most protest. Surely the Guico piano is more basic than the Roy?
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 04:22
    Originally posted by zebano
    I most protest. Surely the King's Gambit dominates all other 1.e4 e5 openings?
  8. Joined
    18 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 04:54
    Thanks for all of the replys...

I usually do start with e4 just to hold off black overrunning the middle to fast. I can get castled ok I just have to play off of what black is doing. With one exeption when ,for some reason, I played h3 early... I think in that game I will not be able to get my king to a safe spot very easy.

When you guys play Ruy Lopez or kings gambit do you follow book lines pretty closely?
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 04:59
    Originally posted by lepomis
    Thanks for all of the replys...

I usually do start with e4 just to hold off black overrunning the middle to fast. I can get castled ok I just have to play off of what black is doing. With one exeption when ,for some reason, I played h3 early... I think in that game I will not be able to get my king to a safe spot very easy.

When you guys play Ruy Lopez or kings gambit do you follow book lines pretty closely?
    With Ruy Lopez and the 3.Nf3 KG you are pretty much forced to learn book lines. With the 3.Bc4 KG, however, you do not necessarily need to learn book lines.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 09:17
    I must protest, play many different openings, the more positions you understand the better you will be at chess, all this talk about this is the best opening that is the best opening is silly its not the openings that give you a good position it's how you play the openings that give you a good position.
  11. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 09:36
    Originally posted by zebano
    I agree. Gioco Piano, 4 knights and scottish are more basic openings and easier to learn.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree