1. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 03:36
    As Black, I like the Sicilian opening. But I find one of the most common responses after my 1. .... c5 is 2. Bc4. I have consulted lots of books about the Sicilian opening, and none of them offer any suggestions about a continuation of this line. I usually go for 2 ....e6. What do others like? Any recommendations?
  2. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 03:39
    I also play 2..e6, which makes sense. In these structures, I don't think the light squared bishop belongs on that square. It runs right into the obvious ..e6 and ..d5 plan, making the bishop looking silly. Keep in mind though that if you don't play ..e6 sicilians, you have to find something to do after 3. Nf3, looking to play 4. d4. 😀
  3. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 05:451 edit
    I usually play 2. ...Nc6 because
    -it's my usual move in the Open and Closed Sicilian
    -more often than not, the 2. Bc4 guy will play 3. Qh5. I personally welcome that and do not wish to discourage it with 2. ...e6. But yes, e6 is generally played as my 3rd move

you don't find 2. Bc4 in a book because it's inferior and begs equality for black.
  4. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 07:13
    Originally posted by B Money
    As Black, I like the Sicilian opening. But I find one of the most common responses after my 1. .... c5 is 2. Bc4. I have consulted lots of books about the Sicilian opening, and none of them offer any suggestions about a continuation of this line. I usually go for 2 ....e6. What do others like? Any recommendations?
    2.Bc4 is really harmless on which black can reply like in Paulsen system 2...e6 and 3...a6
  5. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 08:061 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 08:102 edits
    Originally posted by B Money
    At best 2.Bc4? is a loss of tempo, at worst it shows no understanding of opening principles & as you suggest is a common response in the Sicilian.
    It seems to be popular with -1500 players.
    SeeThread 62441

My initial idea was:
    1.e4...c5
    2.Bc4?...Nf6 thinking
    3.Nc3...e6
    4.Nf3...d5
    then the forced
    5.exd5...exd5
    6.Bb5+...Bd7
    7.Bxd7+...N(b)xd7
    & black has a big lead in development & a great position

white to move

but I have come to thinking 2...Nf6 is too freeing for white, for instance they can play a simple 3.d3 or maverick 3.e5!? as hereGame 3156832
    Now I believe the straightforward 2...e6 then 3...Nf6 & 4...d5 is best & can be played against virtually anything white throws at you.

With anything like accurate play from black 2.Bc4? in the Sicilian gives black either a lead in development or a free hand in the center or sometimes both!

On gamesexplorer black wins around 60% after 1.e4...c5 2.Bc4?
    I think that accurately reflects the value of the move!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree