1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Jan '11 23:34
    I'm thinking about entering but don't like time pressure especially because I am sometimes away and will be out of contact on vacation for a month, in a few months. Do people with experience of it find the the zero timeout/60 day time bank to create time pressure? How many levels of play are usual (groups of 9 or so, with winners advancing to the next level)? I'll probably not make it very far, but when does the championship usually end?
  2. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '11 23:46
    > Do people with experience of it find the the zero timeout/60 day time bank to create time pressure?

A little, but that's still two months even assuming your opponent moves immediately. I considered not entering for the same reason, but then thought I might as well play as it's fun. If I run out of time and lose a few games, what's the harm.

> How many levels of play are usual (groups of 9 or so, with winners advancing to the next level)?

Not sure what you mean by 'level'. Within a group of 9 you'll probably have ratings ranging from 2k+ to 1400 ish. I think there were 3 or 4 rounds last year.

> I'll probably not make it very far, but when does the championship usually end?

No idea, I've never made it very far :-)
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    26 Jan '11 23:47
    You could review last years:
    Tournament 8986
  4. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    27 Jan '11 00:30
    Originally posted by JS357
    I'm thinking about entering but don't like time pressure especially because I am sometimes away and will be out of contact on vacation for a month, in a few months. Do people with experience of it find the the zero timeout/60 day time bank to create time pressure? How many levels of play are usual (groups of 9 or so, with winners advancing to the next level)? I'll probably not make it very far, but when does the championship usually end?
    If you are going to lose a month on vacation then the timebank may become an issue for you. However this will still leave you with around 30 days, one move a day still gives you 30 moves.

Your tournament ends when you are unable to progress further. At your rating level assuming, you get a few 1900+ players in your group, likely to be within 3-4 months of the tournament starting.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Jan '11 04:57
    Originally posted by adramforall
    If you are going to lose a month on vacation then the timebank may become an issue for you. However this will still leave you with around 30 days, one move a day still gives you 30 moves.

Your tournament ends when you are unable to progress further. At your rating level assuming, you get a few 1900+ players in your group, likely to be within 3-4 months of the tournament starting.
    OK Thanks.
  6. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    27 Jan '11 09:11
    Sixty day timebank is ample time. Very few players, if any, lose on time. You're allowed vacation time within that too
  7. Subscriberjankrb
    Conductor
    Zwolle
    Moves
    27 Jan '11 10:39
    Any thoughts about the startingdate?
  8. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    27 Jan '11 13:25
    Start date after 'due process' has been completed, and (I hope) some credibility restored
  9. Joined
    23 Apr '09
    Moves
    27 Jan '11 15:14
    Very interesting .
  10. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    27 Jan '11 22:40
    Originally posted by atticus2
    Sixty day timebank is ample time. Very few players, if any, lose on time. You're allowed vacation time within that too
    Hmmyess .. I had one game last year that lasted 84 moves. I was down to my last 3 days, and had to resort to setting up conditional moves for every possible move I could think of, and moving at 1 am after my opponent had stopped moving.

I can't play at work, so that only leaves 4 hours or so of playing time per day, plus weekends. If my opponent had been in the US, I'd have had no chance as he would have been moving in the middle of the night, so I'd have lost 20 hours per move. I could get up early to play before work .. but that seems a little excessive.

I agree that 60 days should be enough, but it's not ample if the time zones don't match.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree