1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Sep '10 17:49
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Excuse my 1300s naiveté, but isn't that just asking for c5-c4? Might not be the most active move for black, but it doesn't look like it leaves white with much joy, either.

Richard
    White generally loves it if the Black c-pawn gets advanced to c5 in the French; all the pressure is off his d4 pawn. The Bishop also just retreats to c2 and can still snap off the Knight if it jumps to f5.
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    19 Sep '10 03:27
    Originally posted by enrico20
    Black shouldn't "eat" the pawn. It is made of plastic and is not digestible.
    They are also hard to pass...
  3. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    20 Sep '10 07:30
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    White generally loves it if the Black c-pawn gets advanced to c5 in the French; all the pressure is off his d4 pawn. The Bishop also just retreats to c2 and can still snap off the Knight if it jumps to f5.
    Agreed.

The more interesting question is why White would play Bf1-e2 on one move and then Be2-d3 on the next. It looks totally stupid but turns out not to be.

I played one game when White played

6. Be2
    7. Bd3
    and after 8. cxd4 in response to my 7. ... cxd4
    9. Bc2

and yet I ended up getting the worst of it as black.

I suspect Bxh6 must be a 'better' move but this strange bishop manouevre is a funny way to play.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree