1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 04:53
    From my other thread, it looks like a lot of people are interested so I will give this another try. I will go over a master game explaining the moves as best I can and I will post some puzzles inbetween for you guys to solve. Note that I don't like discussing the opening and variations to much. Once all of you try it and send my your answers, I will post the solution and continue with the game. To me that seems fair. I spend time helping you guys, and you guys spend a couple minutes solving the puzzles.

So here is the list of people interested:

1. RahimK
    2. Kevin Mcfarland
    3. Falco Lombardi
    4. pizzintea
    5. Shinidoki
    6. Loki74
    7. chesskid001
    8. MoneyMaker
    9.corvus
    10.typen
    11.huckleberryhound
    12.HandyAndy
    13.briancron

Alright, so when I post the puzzle, I want each of you to PM with your solution. This way you can't read what someone else wrote. Once all of you do this I will continue the game. Also rememeber as a non-sub I can only send 10 PM's per 24 hours so I won't get back to everyone. Do all the puzzles in your head and don't use physical boards or chess engines. They will be easy puzzles.

And now the game:
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 04:54
    1. e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.b4

This is the Evans gambit. It was very popular around 1800-1970 but not as much today. I used to enjoy playing it. White’s plans to control the center with pawns on e4 and d4. However, there are 3 pieces defending d4 so white offers black a wing pawn to distract the bishop from controlling d4.

4…Bxc5 5.c3

With a gain of tempo, White is ready to play d4 now.

5…Bc5 6.d4 exd4 7.cxd4 Bb6

Now white has control off the center with his pawn on d4 and e4. White is ready to castle and has more room for his pieces.

8.0-0 Na5

Usually black plays d6 here, closing the a3-f8 diagonal which allows his king to castle 0-0.

9.Bd3

The knight was attacking the bishop. The bishop retreats and white retains the bishop pair. 2 bishops are very powerful and it’s generally a good idea to keep both bishops. Now the black knight is out of play in the corner. Notice that black moves his knight twice when he should be developing and getting his king to safety.

9…d5 10.exd5 Qxd5

Black fights for control of the center.

11.Ba3

This is one of the key points of this opening. By giving up the b4 pawn, White can put his bishop on the a3-c1 diagonal easily. Why is this important? Well see how the bishop cut through the dark diagonal squares all the way to blacks king? How is black suppose to castle now? In this opening you often see black playing d6 instead of d5 to shut down this diagonal and allow the black king to castle kingside.

11…Be6 12.Nc3 Qd7

The bishop moved to e6 to block protect the king from any checks along the e-file. Now White is ready to attack. He has a great led in development and blacks king is still stuck in the center. White needs to attack quickly before black can recover.

How should White proceed?

All of you guys on the list, PM with your solution. Once everyone does this, I will continue with the game. Remember to do this in your head, no resources allowed and even if you are wrong, I don’t care as long as you tried. Don't worry, It’s simple 🙂

Good luck, Rahim K
  3. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 05:49
    Originally posted by RahimK
    1. e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.b4

This is the Evans gambit. It was very popular around 1800-1970 but not as much today. I used to enjoy playing it. White’s plans to control the center with pawns on e4 and d4. However, there are 3 pieces defending d4 so white offers black a wing pawn to distract the bishop from controlling d4.

4…Bxc5 5.c3

With a gain ...[text shortened]... are wrong, I don’t care as long as you tried. Don't worry, It’s simple 🙂

Good luck, Rahim K
    Although white's ahead in development, but that isolated d pawn is not so attractive, and can soon become a liability that white has to defend for a long time. Black can't castle kingside, but he can still castle to the queenside. Although white's b file is half open, I think it's still Ok for black to castle queenside and at the same time piling up on white's d-pawn. Pinning that e6 bishop with say Re1 or Qe2 is not so useful in my opinion.

White's pieces are not so harmoniously connected with one another. Things can go wrong very fast. If black castles queenside and then does something like Bg4, maybe things can become ugly real quick. Hmmm... interesting position. I must think about it.... easy you say?
  4. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 05:511 edit
    I'll answer in about 10 hours 🙂
  5. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 06:041 edit
    OK, so black would probably want to castle queenside. So 13. Ne5 looks appealing because it can indirectly stop black from castling. It's not exactly attacking the king by trying to mate him, but by preventing him from escaping to the corner.

Hmm... perhaps that was a lousy idea after all. 13. ... Qxd4
  6. Sydney
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 06:40
    Originally posted by ckoh1965
    OK, so black would probably want to castle queenside. So 13. Ne5 looks appealing because it can indirectly stop black from castling. It's not exactly attacking the king by trying to mate him, but by preventing him from escaping to the corner.

Hmm... perhaps that was a lousy idea after all. 13. ... Qxd4
    Give the guys on RahimK's list at least a day to work on it before posting on the problem. Maybe RahimK can tell us when all the PMs are in so the rest of us can have a go at it in the forum before he reveals the answer 😉
  7. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 06:48
    Originally posted by idioms
    Give the guys on RahimK's list at least a day to work on it before posting on the problem. Maybe RahimK can tell us when all the PMs are in so the rest of us can have a go at it in the forum before he reveals the answer 😉
    Oh sorry bout that.... will now PM Rahim for the answer.
  8. Launceston
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 07:41
    I only joined redhotpawn last night so I didn't get time to sign up for these lessons. Having said that, I'm 99.9% I know the right answer but I won't give away the secret. What set me off on the right path was the advice "White needs to attack quickly"
  9. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 08:38
    Originally posted by prenshaw84
    I only joined redhotpawn last night so I didn't get time to sign up for these lessons. Having said that, I'm 99.9% I know the right answer but I won't give away the secret. What set me off on the right path was the advice "White needs to attack quickly"
    Why not just PM Rahim with your answer.
  10. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 09:06
    I know you said that you don't want to spend time on the opening but don't you think 11Ba3 was premature since black wasn't threatening to castle kingside with his knight still on g8, both 11.Re1+ and 11.Nc3 look better. I'm also pretty sure I got the solution.
  11. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 12:25
    my awnser sent!
  12. Stormwind City
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 18:20
    alright i sent in mine as well 🙂
  13. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 19:49
    Alright I added some more people to the list and I'm just waiting to hear back from 7 more players and we can continue.

Puzzle 1
    Kevin Mcfarland
    Falco Lombardi
    pizzintea
    Shinidoki 1
    Loki74 1
    chesskid001
    MoneyMaker 1
    corvus
    typen 1
    huckleberryhound
    HandyAndy 1
    briancron
    ckon1965 1
    prenshaw84 1
    omulcusobolani 1
    vipiu 1

I'm giving particpation points 🙂 Just like kindergarden hey? Then the winners will get some sort of a prize. So far I got the following ideas:

online Lecture, opening analysis (like an opening tree), 20 puzzles from my lamaza training.

I got a few right answers so far. Some were wrong and other were to detailed and wrong but I don't care as long as you tried.
  14. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 19:512 edits
    I was wrong?

Hmmm, In that case now's the time to start the 'real cheating'

CRAFTY! get your ass over here!

Edit: --- ahhh.....I see what I did now.
  15. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 19:58
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    I was wrong?

Hmmm, In that case now's the time to start the 'real cheating'

CRAFTY! get your ass over here!

Edit: --- ahhh.....I see what I did now.
    I didn't say that. I said some were wrong, some were right. I don't care if it's write a wrong.

BTW, computer engines often disagree with old master games. The point of this is not for me to show the best moves, it's just to show the idea behind the moves and why they worked even if they are the second best move.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree