Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 28 Dec '07 20:40
    does anyone have seggestions on how to play aganst this line
  2. Standard member Kepler
    Demon Duck
    28 Dec '07 20:47
    Originally posted by wormer
    does anyone have seggestions on how to play aganst this line
    One possibility would be 3. Nf3 when you have transposed to an e6 Sicilian. A habitual French player may not be too happy with such a position.
  3. 28 Dec '07 21:54
    Originally posted by Kepler
    One possibility would be 3. Nf3 when you have transposed to an e6 Sicilian. A habitual French player may not be too happy with such a position.
    the problem with this is that its alot of therory
  4. Standard member Kepler
    Demon Duck
    28 Dec '07 22:19
    Originally posted by wormer
    the problem with this is that its alot of therory
    That's true of many openings, even the standard French lines have a fair amount of theory. It may be that black is out avoid theory by playing c5 instead of d5 so dropping him into a Sicilian may cause him severe pain. An alternative would be to play 2. d3 instead of 2. d4 and then go for a King's Indian Attack. KIA is effective against the French and often comes as a surprise.
  5. 28 Dec '07 22:31
    Originally posted by Kepler
    That's true of many openings, even the standard French lines have a fair amount of theory. It may be that black is out avoid theory by playing c5 instead of d5 so dropping him into a Sicilian may cause him severe pain. An alternative would be to play 2. d3 instead of 2. d4 and then go for a King's Indian Attack. KIA is effective against the French and often comes as a surprise.
    this would lead to a closed a game. Its true Fisher was succesfull with it, but what about 2.Nc3 if 2...c5 then 3.f4
  6. Standard member Kepler
    Demon Duck
    28 Dec '07 22:38
    Originally posted by wormer
    this would lead to a closed a game. Its true Fisher was succesfull with it, but what about 2.Nc3 if 2...c5 then 3.f4
    That's another perfectly good way to proceed. A bit more theory maybe but it all depends on what sort of position you like I guess. For some time I played 1. e4 and then 2. f4 no matter what black played in reply. It was surprisingly successful, mainly because my opponents were confused by it.
  7. 29 Dec '07 01:18
    if 2...Be7 than what? 3.Nf3?c5
  8. 29 Dec '07 03:18
    The "theoretical" move as I recall is 3 d5. The benoni-like positions you get are supposed to be good for white, but I don't know the lines. I think you play Nc3 without c4 and develop quickly.
  9. 29 Dec '07 08:45
    1 e4 e6 2 d4 c5 is called the Franco-Benoni Defense. The most serious attempt for White to obtain a clear opening advantage is considered to be 3 d5.
  10. Standard member JonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    29 Dec '07 09:04
    I've played this a couple of times with White (and thought about playing it with Black for a while but decided it's just good for White).

    The previous posters are totally right.

    3. d5 is a definite edge for White. White should probably refrain from playing c4 at an early stage and instead play Ng1-f3-d2-c4 and follow up with Bf4 to pressure d6 (where Black will almost certainly put a pawn).

    The difference between this and a regular Benoni is that after ... exd5 White can take back with the e-pawn not the c-pawn. This leaves an open e-file rather than a semi-open file with White having a pawn on e4. In that case Black gets much of his play by hitting against the centre but in the Franco-Benoni there's nothing to hit.
  11. 29 Dec '07 09:54
    3. d5 is the move which will capitalise on this move order transposition. The name of Blacks setup (I think) is called the Franco-Sicilian if my memory serves me correctly.
  12. 29 Dec '07 11:18
    I'm trying the wing gambit (1.e4...e6 2.Nf3...d5 3.e5...c5 4.b4...cxb4 5.d4) against the French as suggested by Nigel Davies.

    I have to say, not looking so great in my one G.I.P
  13. 29 Dec '07 15:07
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    I'm trying the wing gambit (1.e4...e6 2.Nf3...d5 3.e5...c5 4.b4...cxb4 5.d4) against the French as suggested by Nigel Davies.

    I have to say, not looking so great in my one G.I.P
    the wing gambit normally leads to an advantage for black
  14. 29 Dec '07 15:10
    I think the best for white is 3.d5 exd5 4.exd5 d6 5.Bd3 6.c4 7.Nc3 8.h3 9.Nf3 etc....
  15. Standard member JonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    29 Dec '07 17:44
    Originally posted by wormer
    I think the best for white is 3.d5 exd5 4.exd5 d6 5.Bd3 6.c4 7.Nc3 8.h3 9.Nf3 etc....
    Why do you want the Bishop on d3? It's not clear to me it necessarily belongs there ... and without doubt it's better to refrain from c4 and save that square for the King's Knight.

    Having said that your line may also lead to some kind of advantage for White ... it's that kind of opening.