1. Joined
    08 Sep '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '07 18:12
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    Why do you want the Bishop on d3? It's not clear to me it necessarily belongs there ... and without doubt it's better to refrain from c4 and save that square for the King's Knight.

Having said that your line may also lead to some kind of advantage for White ... it's that kind of opening.
    you play Bd3 first inorder to stop ...Bf5 I think that playing Nc3 can lead to an advantage for black as in the game Unzicker-Larsen 1970
  2. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    29 Dec '07 18:31
    Originally posted by wormer
    you play Bd3 first inorder to stop ...Bf5 I think that playing Nc3 can lead to an advantage for black as in the game Unzicker-Larsen 1970
    Well maybe ... although I'm not sure White necessarily needs to stop ...Bf5. Bd3 Blocks the queen's defence of d5 but my point is not so much that B will never belong on d3 but that it might not ... so more flexible to get on with other things and develop the bishop later.

I just had a look at the Larsen game you mention (thanks for the tip-off btw). Black wins for sure but would you really say he comes out of the opening with an advantage? Anyway, the weakness that ends up on c4 is another reason not to put the pawn there.

Anyhoo, there's always more than one way to skin a cat so perhaps it all comes down to personal preference.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    29 Dec '07 18:52
    Originally posted by wormer
    does anyone have seggestions on how to play aganst this line
    3 Nf3 is the overwhelming choice in the databases leading to standard e6 Sicilian positions.
  4. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    29 Dec '07 19:12
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    3 Nf3 is the overwhelming choice in the databases leading to standard e6 Sicilian positions.
    inspired by this comment I just did a search of my database ... and found that Kasparov played this line as Black in the 1979 Soviet Championship.

Who'd have thought?
  5. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    29 Dec '07 22:472 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    That's only because there are so many e6 Sicilian games in the database, which is irrelevant to the current position after 2... c5. This is because unlike in the Sicilian, where black plays c5 on his first move, here he allows white the option of playing 3. d5 and heading for (IMHO) an inferior Benoni type position which is better for white.

This is also a very good reason why you should never play your opening moves based on database popularity. Doing that here with 3. Nf3 just lets black off the hook by transposing into an e6 Sicilian of his choice. Paying attention to the position and the move order, however, instead of blindly following a database and you recognize that the popularity of 3. Nf3 has nothing to do with how good it would be here (thanks to the order of black's moves, which the database doesn't care about) and that white has a much better alternative.
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '07 21:52
    GM Andy Soltis wrote a book called "The Franco-Benoni Defense", in which he advocates playing 1...e6 and then 2...c5 against most White moves.

(Is there ANY opening that Solits has NOT written a book on?)
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '07 21:531 edit
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    I'll answer my own question: I don't think he has written a book on the Grob (1 g4)...YET!
  8. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    30 Dec '07 22:34
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    GM Andy Soltis wrote a book called "The Franco-Benoni Defense", in which he advocates playing 1...e6 and then 2...c5 against most White moves.

There's also a Chessbase opening CD built around this as well. Maybe its ok for black, but there just doesn't look to be a lot of counter-play for black in the 3. d5 Franco-Benoni line.
  9. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    30 Dec '07 23:13
    Originally posted by scandium
    ... Maybe its ok for black ....
    Depends how you define "OK".

If by OK we mean ... doesn't lead to a forced loss immediately then it obviously is.

If by OK we mean ... has practical chances especially against an unprepared opponent who probably won't be used to facing it then it might be.

If by OK we mean ... as objectively as good as more popular alternatives then it obviously isn't.
  10. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    30 Dec '07 23:37
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    Depends how you define "OK".

If by OK we mean ... doesn't lead to a forced loss immediately then it obviously is.

If by OK we mean ... has practical chances especially against an unprepared opponent who probably won't be used to facing it then it might be.

If by OK we mean ... as objectively as good as more popular alternatives then it obviously isn't.
    Yeah that pretty much sums up what I meant 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree