1. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    19 Jan '15 16:44
    There was a chess computer competition just held ...winner was Komodo 8. I don't know what hardware it was running under...but, like you say, any of these can beat any human player. Fritz, Rybka, Houdini, Stockade, Komodo...

Has anyone asked Ulf T how he shot to the top of rating list in 8 months after being much lower for 6 years ?
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    19 Jan '15 19:13
    Originally posted by woadman
    There was a chess computer competition just held ...winner was Komodo 8. I don't know what hardware it was running under...but, like you say, any of these can beat any human player. Fritz, Rybka, Houdini, Stockade, Komodo...

Has anyone asked Ulf T how he shot to the top of rating list in 8 months after being much lower for 6 years ?
    He finally learned how the hosey thing moved. 😕
  3. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    19 Jan '15 21:45
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    He finally learned how the hosey thing moved. 😕
    Hosey ? You mean he was water cannon ?
  4. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 00:16
    So, we can put next to our RHP nickname the Chess Engine that we use to play....
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 00:19
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    Hosey ? You mean he was water cannon ?
    Don't be a dick. 😛
  6. Joined
    03 Jun '03
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 16:28
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think that comp put out about 200 million positions per second, and you can get that out of a tablet now
    This is not so! A modern PC perhaps achieves 10% of that number. But the software has definitely become smarter and manages to calculate even further ahead by using smarter algorithms, the "heuristic", as they say.

But the rest of your post and the gist of it still stands of course.
  7. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 17:15
    Originally posted by deejee
    This is not so! A modern PC perhaps achieves 10% of that number. But the software has definitely become smarter and manages to calculate even further ahead by using smarter algorithms, the "heuristic", as they say.

But the rest of your post and the gist of it still stands of course.
    Some of the chess programs say they can work in 64 "cores" or multiple processors. Who has a computer like that ? I went to DELL and they dont have anything above 4 cores. My computer is an I7 Intel processor & I have a total of 4 cores. One must be reserved to operate the system, so that leaves 3 cores. Maybe some other company sells hardware with more CPUs..probably cost $10,000 or more !
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 18:45
    Some of the chess programs say they can work in 64 "cores" or multiple processors. Who has a computer like that ? I went to DELL and they dont have anything above 4 cores. My computer is an I7 Intel processor & I have a total of 4 cores. One must be reserved to operate the system, so that leaves 3 cores. Maybe some other company sells hardware with more CPUs..probably cost $10,000 or more !
    Still preparing to challenge those page 1 players, I see. 😀
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 18:51
    How did Ulf T go straight to the top of the ratings I wonder? Perhaps he'd like to contribute to this thread with an explanation of how his new coach and/or chess training books have led to this unbelievable rise.

Or could it be something else.....?
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 19:23
    I've read a post that claims everyone on page 1 & 2 are computer cheaters.
    If you ask me, the person most likely to be a computer cheater is the very person making that claim.
  11. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 20:32
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    If you ask me, the person most likely to be a computer cheater is the very person making that claim.
    Nobody is asking you chump.
  12. Joined
    15 Aug '12
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 20:392 edits
    How about you stop throwing insults around woadman to players who have been here 8 years. I've had many ask me that-I believe you are an adolescent computer user. You going to call me a chump too? I guess since I believe you are a kid I ought to take it easy on you.

Off the subject of woadman.

Per Ulf T, I have actually messaged him twice over the past several months asking him for an 'explanation'. No response. He totally wrecked my friend kingaroo in their games. kingaroo is no patzer being 2300+ on here. Ulf T has played nearly 600 moves to date-that is 30 moves a day. Remarkable stamina.
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 20:55
    I refer the honourable gentleman to point 3(d) of this site's Terms of Service.
  14. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 22:02
    Originally posted by King Tiger
    How about you stop throwing insults around woadman to players who have been here 8 years. I've had many ask me that-I believe you are an adolescent computer user. You going to call me a chump too? I guess since I believe you are a kid I ought to take it easy on you.

Off the subject of woadman.

Per Ulf T, I have actually messaged him twice over the ...[text shortened]... + on here. Ulf T has played nearly 600 moves to date-that is 30 moves a day. Remarkable stamina.
    I have also personally messaged Ulf T , with the same result.
  15. Joined
    05 Nov '08
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 00:24
    Originally posted by Tintin1963
    How did Ulf T go straight to the top of the ratings I wonder? Perhaps he'd like to contribute to this thread with an explanation of how his new coach and/or chess training books have led to this unbelievable rise.

Or could it be something else.....?
    he must have discovered the analysis board

;-)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree