1. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 21:19
    Originally posted by King Tiger
    Interesting that this was the only thing you responded to on my post-I even alleged it was a small sample that I looked at-not your pool. And what facts are those-that you talk a lot, speak a lot of nonsense, deny games from good players (like data fly and myself) and then come on saying you only intend to play master level players???

This is becoming ...[text shortened]... t you are trying to take us for fools on here when the evidence is plain who the fool really is.
    Hey I'm just a new guy here trying to sort out all the factors that make up this really swell website. OK so this website is mostly casual players having a good time....super ! I've only been asking some honest questions and I do appreciate the responses....
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 22:08
    It's my understanding that few countries even have "Master" titles, they don't have titles below IM of FM. (If I mistaken please correct me at any juncture)
    USCF as I understand it is 2000-2200 gets a CM title, 2200-2500 gets an NM title, I believe 2500 is a GM title for the USCF (Not sure about the last bit)
    Below 2000 are the A players etc.
    So really since this rating pool is international and casual there is no need for titles or norms, unless your name is Norm. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm about positive I asked the same thing either here or elsewhere some 10 years ago. So I see where the OP was coming from.

Having played both King Tiger and woadman I can say without fear of retribution that they are both well above my playing level, and I enjoyed playing them as well as other top players here.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 01:37
    Originally posted by woadman
    So it's OK for to be assigned a rating, but not told what the rating represents? Most all the players here want to know what "class" they are playing in. I need to know , so that I'll be playing only Masters..
    So it's OK for to be assigned a rating, but not told what the rating represents?

Yep.

Most all the players here want to know what "class" they are playing in.

Then why are you the first person I have heard ask for this in 10+ years on this site?

I need to know , so that I'll be playing only Masters..

So this is really just about elitism. Got it.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 12:432 edits
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    It's my understanding that few countries even have "Master" titles, they don't have titles below IM of FM. (If I mistaken please correct me at any juncture)
    USCF as I understand it is 2000-2200 gets a CM title, 2200-2500 gets an NM title, I believe 2500 is a GM title for the USCF (Not sure about the last bit)
    Below 2000 are the A players etc.
    So reall ...[text shortened]... both well above my playing level, and I enjoyed playing them as well as other top players here.
    As far as I know, the 2000 to 2199 USCF rating is called 'expert' not recognized as master. Only 2200+ is master. And in Russia, you have to have 2300 to even be called a 'candidate master' and full master at 2400 which in the US is IM, International master.

Maybe that has changed, the expert name, I see CM being used, perhaps that means the same as in Russia but a few hundred points lower, Candidate Master.

That still means a Russian CM can kick butt over a US CM.
  5. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 15:19
    I'd like to see a title for "number of units of alcohol consumed per move" or something like that ๐Ÿ˜€

Bet I'll be near page 1 on that list!

...Other than that, yeah titles are irrelevant for the most part... unless you're playing professionally.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 15:22
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    As far as I know, the 2000 to 2199 USCF rating is called 'expert' not recognized as master. Only 2200+ is master. And in Russia, you have to have 2300 to even be called a 'candidate master' and full master at 2400 which in the US is IM, International master.

Maybe that has changed, the expert name, I see CM being used, perhaps that means the same as in R ...[text shortened]... red points lower, Candidate Master.

That still means a Russian CM can kick butt over a US CM.
    As the title implies, IM = international master, and is so everywhere there are FIDE events - not just in the US.

An IM does not have to maintain 2400+ to keep the title. They need only make the 3 norms [3 good performances in strong tourneys of sufficient length] and maintain a certain minimum rating during that time. The title is theirs for life after that.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 16:301 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    As the title implies, IM = international master, and is so everywhere there are FIDE events - not just in the US.

An IM does not have to maintain 2400+ to keep the title. They need only make the 3 norms [3 good performances in strong tourneys of sufficient length] and maintain a certain minimum rating during that time. The title is theirs for life after that.
    Yeah, I think IM's have to make 50% in a recognized tourny and GM's have to make 75% in the same type tourny and do that 3 times to get their titles.

So an IM could get it by just drawing all his or her games, which will not get you to GM status..
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 22:59
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Yeah, I think IM's have to make 50% in a recognized tourny and GM's have to make 75% in the same type tourny and do that 3 times to get their titles.

So an IM could get it by just drawing all his or her games, which will not get you to GM status..
    It's not as simple as that, the norms require particular performances, the actual method of calculation is pretty complicated. For a GM norm you need a performance of 2,600 in a tournament with at least 9 games against opponents whose average rating is no lower than 2380. The rating requirement only needs to be hit once.

https://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?view=article&id=174
  9. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 23:47

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 23:54
    Originally posted by woadman
    What I am asking is not FIDE or OTB but RHP title. Russ needs to define what the ratings mean since he has assigned ratings to the players. I would like to know what class category opponent I'm playing H-E-R-E on RedHotPawn website. Or Chess-at-Work or ImmortalGame. This is a great website, but Perhaps--Russ has dropped the ball !
    RHP does not have to define what a rating means, beyond explaining how they are calculated.

If you understand the formula and also understand the free nature of game pairings here on the site, they you know every nuance of what the ratings mean.

it appears that you want someone else to ascribe some sort of value to your performance beyond what the ratings represent. The only meaningful way to do that is to play OTB- you are not going to get it here.
  11. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '15 12:50
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Notice that King Tiger claims an old 2138 OTB rating, and has a rating of 2338 here, fitting closely into my formula. To get a fide estimate you need to knock 200 off the rating from this site.
    RHP -200 fits for my country ELO rating (OTB). My FIDE rating is about 100 points down on my rating here, but that is based on a very small number of tournaments.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jan '15 12:05
    Originally posted by gezza
    RHP -200 fits for my country ELO rating (OTB). My FIDE rating is about 100 points down on my rating here, but that is based on a very small number of tournaments.
    My USCF rating is about 1750 and my RHP is close, close to 1700. I guess for fish like me, it's a different story.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    12 Jan '15 16:021 edit
    I wouldn't take class boundaries very seriously here. The rating system is only relative anyway, not absolute; it is designed to give a player a rough idea where he stands with respect to other players here (I use "he" in the sense in which "man" embraces "woman"๐Ÿ˜‰ ).

So, woa!, get 20 games under your belt, drop the p(rovisional) prefix, and you'll know where you stand here. The class won't matter. Just keep challenging stronger and stronger players until you run out of them.
  14. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    15 Jan '15 14:10
    I have an idea... (a 1400 RHP rating idea)...

Yahoo... put colors according with the rating...
    blue 1200-1400
    green 1400-1600
    red 1600-1800
    brown 1800-2000

etc, etc....

We can try the colors as a Titles or player classes....

And every one will be happy
  15. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 20:252 edits
    Originally posted by Schlecter
    I have an idea... (a 1400 RHP rating idea)...

Yahoo... put colors according with the rating...
    blue 1200-1400
    green 1400-1600
    red 1600-1800
    brown 1800-2000

etc, etc....

We can try the colors as a Titles or player classes....

And every one will be happy
    I don't know if it is wise to have the blue and green players next to each other in the classifications- that has caused problems in the past.

It wouldn't be appropriate for me to elucidate further on the socio-political, economic and religious context of their differences, but I will just say that they have a colorful history.

We should also avoid putting the red and black players next to each other on the ratings chart- Let's just say that they also have a very checkered past, and leave it at that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree