18 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '06 21:08
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Then you got yourself a problem.

Here's advice which should get you on way:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=39309&page=2

Half way down page 2

And then for planning last page of that thread. You can leave the planning stuff till after, for now concentrate on the page 2 stuff.
    Thanx for the thread link thingyπŸ˜€
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Apr '06 21:13
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Then you got yourself a problem.

Here's advice which should get you on way:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=39309&page=2

Half way down page 2

And then for planning last page of that thread. You can leave the planning stuff till after, for now concentrate on the page 2 stuff.
    any good at helping people stay at 1500 or maybe get up to 1600 RahimK? πŸ™‚
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '06 22:03
    Perhaps I can help you.....

I started playing when I was 16......

after 2 years of absolutly NO STUDY, no books, no after/pre game analysis no nothing - i'm 1500 here and at FICS; 1700 {standard}

... mind you, A lot of that time was wasted (by playing at MSN gaming zone {teen room} and Yahoo....I joined FICS dec 2005 {I think}

further more, it wasn't until I joined FICS i started to play games longer than 8 min....
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    09 Apr '06 04:00
    Originally posted by trevor33
    follow the same advice but tactics are more important now. Read the planning section also, last page of the thread. That's all the planning links I could find. Read a chess book if your into that. I have my booklist on my blog. Address under my profile.
  5. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    09 Apr '06 05:18
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Learn about tactics here...
    http://www.chesstactics.org/

Practice tactics here...
    http://chess.emrald.net/

D
    Thanks for the sites, D
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    09 Apr '06 10:51
    Originally posted by trevor33
    the key is probably to stop dropping pieces. at least for me it was. -I got to around 1550 almost straight away, but no matter how much I learned about the game, it just didn't show in my performance. and I lost just as many games to 1300's as I did to 1600's. I was 4-5 months stuck in a plateau, no matter how hard I tried. but a short while ago I started doing systematic blunder checking, and have dropped only one piece in 30 games since. consequently my rating is going up like a balloon. before I hung a piece maybe every third game.

the moral of the story is: find out your weakest point, and work on it. usually for under 1600's it's seems to be dropping pieces.
  7. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    09 Apr '06 11:22
    Originally posted by LanndonKane
    I've been playing chess for 8 years, but ive started to play much more since last December 2005. How long, on average, does it take for your rating to increase 300 points, just by playing games (no books or lessons).
    It is not important how long you have played chess. It is also not that important to study all the books (at lower levels). I think best is to build up an opening repertoire that fits to your character (e.g aggressive vs positional) and then test it preferentially against opponents that are slightly stronger in chess. When you fail at certain points in those openings, try to find out why (i.e. analyse the games and consult books/databases) and do the better moves the next time. Also play occasionally against opponents that are a bit lower rated than you, just that you do not lose too often, which will help to keep your motivation high. That should work.
  8. back in business
    Moves
    09 Apr '06 13:43
    Originally posted by wormwood
    the key is probably to stop dropping pieces. at least for me it was. -I got to around 1550 almost straight away, but no matter how much I learned about the game, it just didn't show in my performance. and I lost just as many games to 1300's as I did to 1600's. I was 4-5 months stuck in a plateau, no matter how hard I tried. but a short while ago I started d ...[text shortened]... r weakest point, and work on it. usually for under 1600's it's seems to be dropping pieces.
    you cshould really start playing in national tournaments...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree