Rating system

Rating system

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
23 Jan 09

Is it just me or does the rating system seem a little random at times? Are the points you gain/lose proportional to the rating gap between the two players?

State of Confusion

Lancashire

Moves
23 Jan 09

Credit crunch.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
23 Jan 09

Originally posted by jb70
Credit crunch.
Very good.

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
23 Jan 09

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Is it just me or does the rating system seem a little random at times? Are the points you gain/lose proportional to the rating gap between the two players?
FAQ

F

Moves
23 Jan 09

Originally posted by Proper Knob
It only seems random when you are provisional player. Else it make perfectly sense.
It's not mathematically propotional, but never random.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
23 Jan 09

Originally posted by adramforall
FAQ
Thanks.

c
Grammar Nazi

Auschwitz

Moves
23 Jan 09
1 edit

Yes its mathematically proportinal.

If you win a game against someone rated withing 25 points of you, your rating goes up sixteen points. If you lose, it goes down 16 points. For every 25 points your opponent is rated higher than you, you get an extra point.

You cannot gain or lose more than 32 points per game.

For example:
Player A is rated 1391.
Player B is rated 1523

If player A wins, He will gain 21 points, while Player B will lose 21 points.

If player B wins, he will gain 11 points, while Player A will lose 11 points.

This system works for anyone under 2100 points.

For players with a rating of 2100 to 2400, the same system is used, except that you use 12 points instead of 16 for a game where players are within 25 points of eachother, and an addition point for every 25 points. You cannot gain or lose more than 24 points per game.

For players above 2400, you do the same calculations but you only gain or lose 8 points for a game where players are within 25 points of eachother, and you cannot gain or lose more than 16 points per game.

I know the FAQ says something similar to this, but its a little confusing, and I find this easier to understand.

l

Moves
23 Jan 09

If you want to see what you stand to gain or lose from any individual game you should use Firefox, get Greasemonkey, and install the ouroboros scripts which will show you this, and much more besides

F

Moves
23 Jan 09

Originally posted by clandarkfire
If you lose, it goes down 16 points. For every 25 points your opponent is rated higher than you, you get an extra point.
Not exactly, but good enough as a rule of thumb.

e4

Moves
24 Jan 09

So is the reason why some guys drag out their obviously lost games.
They are hoping their opponents grades go up.

Or are the grade taken from when the game starts?

L
Stick your hands up

Your bum

Moves
24 Jan 09

It's from when the game ends.

L
Stick your hands up

Your bum

Moves
24 Jan 09

Originally posted by clandarkfire
Yes its mathematically proportinal.

If you win a game against someone rated withing 25 points of you, your rating goes up sixteen points. If you lose, it goes down 16 points. For every 25 points your opponent is rated higher than you, you get an extra point.

You cannot gain or lose more than 32 points per game.

For example:
Player A is rated ...[text shortened]... ays something similar to this, but its a little confusing, and I find this easier to understand.
...and the light dawns. Cheers 🙂