1. Joined
    17 Dec '02
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 13:52
    Which books about chess do you recommend for entertainment/pleasure? At the end of the day, sometimes I don't want to study chess, but I'd like to read about it. Something along the lines of great matches or people? Any good books out there on Fischer vs. Spassky '72?
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 13:58
    The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal is incredibly amusing. The background he gives not only to his moves, the psychology of the games and his life experiences make it a great read even if you don't play through the games.
  3. Joined
    12 Aug '04
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 14:05
    Originally posted by zebano
    The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal is incredibly amusing. The background he gives not only to his moves, the psychology of the games and his life experiences make it a great read even if you don't play through the games.
    Really, a great reading.

I also like the Eduard Gufeld's book, which I've read in spanish, "Mi Mona Lisa en Ajedrez", or something like it.

I've searched the google for the english title, and got into "The Search for Mona Lisa". Not sure if it's the same book. But, if it is, I strongly recommend as a very pleasant reading.
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 14:25
    The Immortal Game by David Shenk
  5. Big D
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 14:33
    Child of Change: The Autobiography of Garry Kasparov
    Karpov on Karpov, by Anatoly Karpov
    Chess is My Life, by Victor Korchnoi
    The Defense, by Vladimir Nabakov
  6. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 15:05
    Bareev's recent book:-

From London to Elista.

It's choc full of analysis of all the games from Kramnik's World Title matches against Kasparov, Leko and Topalov.

I haven't played through any of that, though. Much more interesting to me is Bareev's behind the scenes account of being Kramnik's second.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree