Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 10 Aug '07 13:40 / 1 edit
    So I played a speculative exchange sac starting with 12... Nxg3 planning to get the piece back with Rxe5+ (losing the exchange). I thought my opponent did well to get to a point where his rooks were connected and almost in the game. Had he not fallen for my cheap tricks, he should have then won. Could I have improved on my play, or was this sac flawed to begin with?

Edit: link to game helps...
    Game 3789527
  2. 10 Aug '07 13:41
    Originally posted by zebano
    So I played a speculative exchange sac starting with 12... Nxg3 planning to get the piece back with Rxe5+ (losing the exchange). I thought my opponent did well to get to a point where his rooks were connected and almost in the game. Had he not fallen for my cheap tricks, he should have then won. Could I have improved on my play, or was this sac flawed to begin with?
    huh?
  3. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    10 Aug '07 14:35

Game 3789527
    I think you played a very nice game, well done.
  4. 10 Aug '07 15:26
    Originally posted by Restless Soul
    huh?
    ohhh...hmm I think it was unnecessary, you where a lot better before Qh4, in fact, I like f6 in that position. I like how white played Na4 later on and walked into a mating net. I would like to see the game after Rf1 instead of Na4, black is better, but white can put up some defense.
  5. 10 Aug '07 16:00
    Perhaps 16... d4 which results in you winning a pawn?
  6. 10 Aug '07 19:27
    What did you come up with as a line if you played 14... Bxc3?
    14... Bxc3 15 bxc3 Qe4+ followed by Qxh1 and f6?
  7. 10 Aug '07 21:31

Game 3789527
    Unless I'm missing something 11 ... f6 (as suggested by Restless Soul) wins a piece.

12 Nf3 Nxc3+ and white is in awful shape and I don't see any tactics preventing ... fxe5 in a move or two if the knight doesn't move. Other knight moves don't help either
  8. 10 Aug '07 22:11
    Originally posted by Erekose
    Unless I'm missing something 11 ... f6 (as suggested by Restless Soul) wins a piece.

12 Nf3 Nxc3+ and white is in awful shape and I don't see any tactics preventing ... fxe5 in a move or two if the knight doesn't move. Other knight moves don't help either
    I think You're right. I just got so caught up in playing a "sac" for initiative that I just missed the easier win.
  9. 12 Aug '07 02:17
    14. Be2 Rxe5 Bxe5 Qxe5 0-0-0 Be6

objectivly, probably won for black, but white has some counterplay (open files against king)