Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 14 Aug '07 21:08
    Does this system prompt you to take a draw when making repetitive moves? How does it work on this site?
  2. 14 Aug '07 21:10
    Originally posted by lvovna
    Does this system prompt you to take a draw when making repetitive moves? How does it work on this site?
    You have to claim it, for the 3 repetition rule you have to claim it right before making your 3rd move, for the 50 move rule you must claim it right before your 50th move.
  3. Standard member Redmike
    Godless Commie
    14 Aug '07 21:10
    Originally posted by lvovna
    Does this system prompt you to take a draw when making repetitive moves? How does it work on this site?
    The rules are clear on this - you must claim the draw, so the system doesn't prompt you.

    The details are in the faq.
  4. 14 Aug '07 21:11
    thanks
  5. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    14 Aug '07 21:14
    this is just like regular board play . .the chess pieces on the board don't prompt you there either

    by the way, the position only needs to occur three times, it doesn't have to be in a row

    one other thing, and this is kind of weird, the position only has to "look" like it's the same position . .. by this, i mean that the King Rook, Bishop and Knight can be switched with the Queen Rook, Bishop and Knight . . .and although the position really isn't the same . .it actually is . .. now isn't that cool!
  6. 14 Aug '07 21:37
    Originally posted by coquette
    this is just like regular board play . .the chess pieces on the board don't prompt you there either

    by the way, the position only needs to occur three times, it doesn't have to be in a row

    one other thing, and this is kind of weird, the position only has to "look" like it's the same position . .. by this, i mean that the King Rook, Bishop and Knight c ...[text shortened]... d although the position really isn't the same . .it actually is . .. now isn't that cool!
    have you tested it?
  7. 14 Aug '07 21:38
    Originally posted by Redmike
    The rules are clear on this - you must claim the draw, so the system doesn't prompt you.

    The details are in the faq.
    Same as in a tournament game, if you snooze, you lose.
  8. 14 Aug '07 22:28
    Originally posted by coquette
    this is just like regular board play . .the chess pieces on the board

    one other thing, and this is kind of weird, the position only has to "look" like it's the same position . .. by this, i mean that the King Rook, Bishop and Knight can be switched with the Queen Rook, Bishop and Knight . . .and although the position really isn't the same . .it actually is . .. now isn't that cool!
    Interesting trick to switch the kings bishop with the queens bishop
  9. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    14 Aug '07 23:48
    Originally posted by Bull McCabe
    Interesting trick to switch the kings bishop with the queens bishop
    yeah, that's the trickiest one of all . .but that can happen with a king side pawn promotion to a bishop then switched ! ! ! ! !
  10. Standard member Dies Irae
    I Love U
    15 Aug '07 01:15
    Originally posted by coquette
    yeah, that's the trickiest one of all . .but that can happen with a king side pawn promotion to a bishop then switched ! ! ! ! !
    thats impossible

    because either you have two bishops on the board and then one of them is captured meaning the position isn't the same

    or you promote a pawn meaning the position isn't the same because pawn moves immediately negate the three repetition move
  11. 15 Aug '07 02:10
    Originally posted by Dies Irae
    thats impossible

    because either you have two bishops on the board and then one of them is captured meaning the position isn't the same

    or you promote a pawn meaning the position isn't the same because pawn moves immediately negate the three repetition move
    You simply promote a pawn to a bishop (make sure you have another bishop of the same colour). And then switch the position so that the two like coloured bishops change places. Switch them again and you`ve just repeated the position three times.
  12. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    15 Aug '07 04:10
    Originally posted by Akashic
    You simply promote a pawn to a bishop (make sure you have another bishop of the same colour). And then switch the position so that the two like coloured bishops change places. Switch them again and you`ve just repeated the position three times.
    thank you for explaining it
  13. 15 Aug '07 04:22
    Originally posted by Akashic
    You simply promote a pawn to a bishop (make sure you have another bishop of the same colour). And then switch the position so that the two like coloured bishops change places. Switch them again and you`ve just repeated the position three times.
    But then the pawn that you promoted has disappeared, so the original position could never be duplicated (actually, two pawns).
  14. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    15 Aug '07 04:48
    this is actually getting fun

    the point is, for an example, that we are referring to a king or queen bishop, that will really be defined by the diagonals that it travels. thus, once a pawn is promoted to a bishop, then it may become a second bishop of the same color. now you would have a chance to "repeat the position" as far as it "appears that you have" . . .if only one does not distinguish the pieces as individuals, but rather as a "black square bishop" or a "white square bishop"

    Now i do realize that this will not be understood, but it was just too much fun keyboarding it in!
  15. 15 Aug '07 05:36 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by HolyT
    But then the pawn that you promoted has disappeared, so the original position could never be duplicated (actually, two pawns).
    The position that will be repeated is the position that arises AFTER the pawn has been promoted.