1. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 13:45
    You ever been tempted to say this?
    My solution is to take the longest, most painful road to victory possible. I will promote all my pawns to minor pieces, being careful not to allow a stalemate, well most of the time. 😞
  2. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 13:53
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    No. It's rude.

No reason why anybody should resign if they don't want to. Mate ends the game not the belief of one side that the game should be over.
  3. e4
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 14:061 edit
    I bet everybody has been tempted to say that, or words
    to that effect.

He's right, it is rude, but so is playing on in a totally lost position
    v a good player. (OTB it is anyway) on here.....

.....I've seen some incredible things on here.........play on.

PS: if bored you can amuse yourself by promoting your pawns to minor
    piece and put them back on their 'home' squares.
    See if you can get a full set of men all on their original squares.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 14:13
    Why not? Play as long as you want. It's not rude.

Well, perhaps this is an exception: When only one game is blocking the round of a tournament to proceed, and this person is playing slowly...
  5. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 14:15
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Why not? Play as long as you want. It's not rude.
    to clarify ... telling somebody they should resign is rude.

Playing on as long as you want - providing you're keeping to the agreed time control and not breaking any laws of chess - is not rude.

I agree with GP about OTB manners but here it's different.
  6. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 14:17
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Well, perhaps this is an exception: When only one game is blocking the round of a tournament to proceed, and this person is playing slowly...
    I'm in that situation as it happens. A tournament I'm in has been waiting on the result of one game for what seems like months. The guy is about to be rook and pawn (his opponent) against nothing (him).

No reason why he should resign if he doesn't want to though. there's an easy solution if you don't lik waiting a long time - don't enter tournaments that hvae a one move per week (or longer) time control.
  7. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 14:21
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    My solution is to take the longest, most painful road to victory possible. I will promote all my pawns to minor pieces, being careful not to allow a stalemate, well most of the time. 😞
    if you can make it instructional then it is worth the time, for example, mating with 3 or 4 Ns or even B & N if you dare.
  8. e4
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 14:28
    On here one can play on and on if one wants to.

OTB v a good player if you play on and on till you are mated the
    chances are the good guy will NOT go over the game with you.
    Infact I know they won't.

You have lost a great chance to improve. After game analysis with
    a strong player fresh from the game is very enlightening.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 14:50
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    to clarify ... telling somebody they should resign is rude.

Playing on as long as you want - providing you're keeping to the agreed time control and not breaking any laws of chess - is not rude.

I agree with GP about OTB manners but here it's different.
    We agree. Continuing isn't, telling is.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 14:53
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    I'm in that situation as it happens. A tournament I'm in has been waiting on the result of one game for what seems like months. The guy is about to be rook and pawn (his opponent) against nothing (him).

No reason why he should resign if he doesn't want to though. there's an easy solution if you don't lik waiting a long time - don't enter tournaments that hvae a one move per week (or longer) time control.
    Of course. But when one game only, with a clear outcome (like queen vs a lone king), is hindering the next round to start, well...
    But telling him to hurry? Rude!
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 15:01
    it's just a flesh wound!
  12. Joined
    11 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 15:02
    Whether or not it's rude to ask somebody to resign an obviously hopeless position, I find the not uncommon practice of suddenly decreasing one's move frequency from several times daily, to the minimum required by the time control, purely as a response to the recognition of imminent defeat, to be distinctly obnoxious, even scrofulous. As in many other life scenarios I often see it as a duty to remind perpetrators of such childish idiocy that their behavior is 'not cool', after all, if nobody tells them, how're they to know how screwed their moral compass is?
  13. Planet Earth , Mwy
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 15:38
    Continuing to play in any chess game when it appears to be lost is perfectly acceptable and is not considered rude. Many apparently 'lost' games have been won or drawn in such circumstances,however asking an opponent to resign is rude and should be avoided so long as no game rules have been broken. Clearly a player with only a King facing an opponent with overwhelming superior material is not usually considered likely to win,but it is for the opponent to prove they are capable of delivering checkmate in such a position.Time pressure and other considerations are good enough reasons to resign such'lost' games,but nobody should ask an opponent to resign. This is simple bad manners, as it is also quite unecessary!😀
  14. Joined
    12 Aug '04
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 16:142 edits
    Originally posted by WeeDSteM
    Whether or not it's rude to ask somebody to resign an obviously hopeless position, I find the not uncommon practice of suddenly decreasing one's move frequency from several times daily, to the minimum required by the time control, purely as a response to the recognition of imminent defeat, to be distinctly obnoxious, even scrofulous. As in many other life s ', after all, if nobody tells them, how're they to know how screwed their moral compass is?
    However one should never forget that the decreasing move frequency may be caused to difficulty in play in an inferior position.

But obviously there are players on this site that like to prolong indefinitely a lost position in hope that the adversary might eventualy timeout.
  15. Joined
    30 Mar '09
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 16:15
    Not really on topic but similar.Was playing 2 games against someone,let him remain anonymous,he got poor positions rather quick and then I got this message:

"you made so stubborn moves. what i do is i forfeit all my games and for your games i let the clock run our in a day. tomorrow i will come on as a new player. i need to get a good start. good game nothing personal. just figure you should get the least amount of points of my rating and get them in 24 hours.

gg"

I got 'punished' for being so stubborn to make moves???The comical factor does exceed the rudeness/weirdness factor,imo. 🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree