1. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 16:24
    Players not moving in a lost or poor position is why the game is timed. I have had a few games that I wished the player would resign, but I will never tell a player to play a move or resign.
  2. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 16:34
    Originally posted by wormwood
    it's just a flesh wound!
    Flesh wounds may become infected.
  3. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 17:34
    Originally posted by WeeDSteM
    Whether or not it's rude to ask somebody to resign an obviously hopeless position, I find the not uncommon practice of suddenly decreasing one's move frequency from several times daily, to the minimum required by the time control, purely as a response to the recognition of imminent defeat, to be distinctly obnoxious ....
    Actually I agree with this too.

I've come to the conclusion that people who do this lose interest in the game because they can't win but at the same time can't bring themselves to resign it. It is, I think, a guarantee that the person won't progress beyond their current level (until such time that they change their attitude).

That said, two wrongs don't make a right - as my old dad used to say - so this doesn't justifie telling somebody they should resign.

Just play - this sort of thing hurts them more than it does you
  4. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 17:35
    Incidentally, telling somebody they should agree the game drawn is no improvement they should resign.

Either way you can end up looking like the dickhead you are if you indulge in this behaviour

e.g.
    http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com/2009/03/you-brought-two-too-many.html
  5. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 17:38
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    On here one can play on and on if one wants to.

OTB v a good player if you play on and on till you are mated the
    chances are the good guy will NOT go over the game with you.
    Infact I know they won't.

You have lost a great chance to improve. After game analysis with
    a strong player fresh from the game is very enlightening.
    I agree GP but OTB is different to email based chess I think.

Partly perhaps this is due to the incovenience factor. If you play on and on OTB you're keeping somebody away from home/pub/whatever for several hours and maybe for more than one session.

Here - well we're going to be logging on anyway aren't we? It's just a case of having to wait a bit longer for the result that's all. It's not really an inconvenience to anybody.

btw: I think another reason that culture is different here is the huge gulf in standards between RHP and OTB chess. Here I suspect many people don't realise how bad their position is and don't see why they should resign.
  6. e4
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 19:271 edit
    Quote:

"Here I suspect many people don't realise how bad their position is and don't see why they should resign."

And there it is.

RHP is 50% home and casual players, they most likely don't know
    playing on is a cause of concern. They might even consider resigning
    a 'wimps' move. You just have to play along till you mate them.

The guys who know they are beat but wait till the last day before
    time out are hoping you get fed or make a hasty move.
    Part of the game I'm afraid.

Resinging all you games at in a set order so the person who 'bugs'
    you the most get the lowest rating points.
    Brilliant!! Childish and pointless (hey a pun!), but brilliant!!
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 21:40
    I have to agree with GM Larry Evans on this one: (In chess) if it's legal, it's ethical.
  8. Joined
    19 Feb '09
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 21:53
    As a former USCF tourney player, I am here to tell you it is RUDE to resign. Of course it is rude to ask someone to resign, but it is RUDE-er to actually resign. Nothing IRKS a serious player more than some wannabe calling it quits when he's down material in the endgame and appears he's going to lose.

First off, even the great Kasparov has made his share of blunders. A game is never truly OVER until it is over. When you, dear player, resign a "seemingly" lost game, you demonstrate a total lack of discipline. You exhibit a GIVE UP attitude that IS NOT what chess is about. You prove that you are LAZY when you resign. You make it easy on your opponent by giving up. I have never resigned a game in my life and will FORCE my opponent to mate me or blunder.

I can't tell you the number of time (hundreds) where I was down 5 or 6 in the endgame and either ended up winning, drawing, or stalemating.

Heck, if the game is so totally lopsided and you and your 2 pawns have NO HOPE against your opponent's two rooks and queen, he should be able to deliver the mate in 3 moves anyway. BIG DEAL. Make him do it. You came to play CHESS, not show poor gamesmanship and give up when you're losing. "Boo hoo hoo, I'm gonna lose, I'm talking my pieces and board and going home. I resign." Poor gamesmanship at its WORST, resigning is.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 21:58
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I seldom get upset when my opponent's resign.
  10. e4
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 22:102 edits
    I've never been offended either when a player resigns.

But if Cheat1 says it's rude to resign. Then it's rude to resign.

Next time some guy resigns against I'm going to refuse the
    resignation on the grounds my opponent is being rude.

Hey Cheat - go the SIte Ideas forum and get Russ to remove the
    "I Resign" button.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 22:26
    Originally posted by cheater1
    As a former USCF tourney player, I am here to tell you it is RUDE to resign. Of course it is rude to ask someone to resign, but it is RUDE-er to actually resign. Nothing IRKS a serious player more than some wannabe calling it quits when he's down material in the endgame and appears he's going to lose.

First off, even the great Kasparov has made his share ...[text shortened]... es and board and going home. I resign." Poor gamesmanship at its WORST, resigning is.
    BS.

Kasparov resigned plenty of games. Most every top player will resign once they see they're hopelessly lost.

In fact, name a top player of your choice and I will provide examples of them resigning.

Most USCF players also resign when they're lost. The overwhelming consensus in the chess world is that it's perfectly acceptable to resign a lost position.
  12. Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 22:37
    Originally posted by cheater1

First off, even the great Kasparov has made his share ...[text shortened]... es and board and going home. I resign." Poor gamesmanship at its WORST, resigning is.
    I thought you'd never been checkmated? You said you resigned before it happened?
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 22:38
    Originally posted by Meadows
    I thought you'd never been checkmated? You said you resigned before it happened?
    LOL - excellent point. cheater1 is caught talking out his arse yet again.
  14. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 22:43
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    You ever been tempted to say this?
    My solution is to take the longest, most painful road to victory possible. I will promote all my pawns to minor pieces, being careful not to allow a stalemate, well most of the time. 😞
    I agree, however....it is within one's right to bleed a game to death if they wish.
  15. Joined
    19 Feb '09
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 23:43
    I am UNMATEABLE when I play internet (not real) chess. When I play internet chess, I play EXCLUSIVELY computer aided chess, and therefore do not lose, EVER.

I'm 42 years old remember. I have played chess for over 32 of those years. What do you think, I never played an OTB game in my life? AHHHHHH, I see now. The average age of users here is like what I thought in the first place......19!!! You people have never NOT known what a computer is or what life was like without chessmaster or a cell phone or a microwave. I now feel old.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree