1. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    02 Jan '14 21:12
    The're pretty rare. I've musta played 1000's of games and only ever got it once.

Forgive me, I've probably posted this game a dozon times. I cant help myself 😳
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    03 Jan '14 16:29
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Coach.

The losing player always determines the right when the game will end.
    At least let your opponent have that right.
    He actually put up quite a show after losing for his Queen.

I knew I recognised that name.
    I used one of your games in the test postions from RHP games in the re-write of [b[Mastering Chess

http://www.redhotpawn.com ...[text shortened]... Kh7 23.Nf8+ etc etc...
    so being a piece down he was happy with the draw. White missed?[/center][/b]
    It's kind of neat to see a vertical smothered mate- it always seems the samples always use g8, and this is a nice alternative. As my friend kingocean64 says, "Devices repeat themselves".
  3. e4
    Moves
    04 Jan '14 03:12
    Hi Paul.

"It's kind of neat to see a vertical smothered mate."

Except in this case we did not see it, the lad missed it.
    That was the main reasons why I chose it for the book.
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 16:46
    Originally posted by Coach David
    I have Q v Kt and equal pawns yet my opponent plays on. How can I politely urge him/her to resign and stop disrespecting me?
    Tell him/her you will block them and not give them a chance to rematch!!!
  5. Joined
    03 Aug '12
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 19:53
    Notice that coach david is a knight down in game 10371834. Obviously he should resign without hesitation !!!!!!
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 10:29
    I'm with the Coach here. Players who continue playing when their only reasonable chance of avoiding a loss is to drag the game out in the hope of achieving a timeout when their opponent goes on holiday are very disrespectful imo.
  7. Joined
    03 Aug '12
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 12:15
    Hi Marin. The thing is define reasonable. Have you ever been stalemated or given a stalemate?

In a recent game of mine I sacked a rook for position but was by no means home and dry. Then my opponent made an error and moved so I could deliver a family fork.

Anything can happen in the heat of battle and quite often mistakes are made when someone thinks they have the game won.

I recall seeing a GM or IM match which was a king V 2 or 3 pieces which ended in stalemate. If Green Pawn reads this he will probably be able to find the match.
  8. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 12:31
    Originally posted by eltricky
    Hi Marin. The thing is define reasonable. Have you ever been stalemated or given a stalemate?

In a recent game of mine I sacked a rook for position but was by no means home and dry. Then my opponent made an error and moved so I could deliver a family fork.

Anything can happen in the heat of battle and quite often mistakes are made when someone thinks ...[text shortened]... s which ended in stalemate. If Green Pawn reads this he will probably be able to find the match.
    It depends on the position, i accept that. I'm talking about people who play on in completely lost positions. There are very few positions with NvQ where the Knight wins. It can take months to capture your opponents pawns, advance one of your own, Queen, corner your opponents King and deliver mate. If you put your mind to it, you can drag out a lost position for years! Most players can see when they are completely lost, it is unsporting to try and snatch a win on time from a completely lost position.
  9. e4
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 14:37
    I must have said this a thousand times.

You cannot force anyone to resign.

There are players on here who will consider resiging as bad manners.
    They play on till they are mated because that (to them) is the sporting thing to do.

Leave them alone.

And if some experienced player is playing on and on because he is in the huff.
    Then getting you riled was all part of his plan and it is working.
    Repeat the postion a few times to lure him into thinking he may get three-fold rep,
    then move something else. 🙂

Don't block him. If he is that angry at you (for what ever reason) that he
    is dragging out a game, the next time you play him he will do something
    rash to get you back.
  10. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 17:38
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    It depends on the position, i accept that. I'm talking about people who play on in completely lost positions. There are very few positions with NvQ where the Knight wins. It can take months to capture your opponents pawns, advance one of your own, Queen, corner your opponents King and deliver mate. If you put your mind to it, you can drag out a lost posi ...[text shortened]... mpletely lost, it is unsporting to try and snatch a win on time from a completely lost position.
    I disagree, if the position is totally lost, then demonstrating the win should be an easy task. It is your opponent's "right" to see the demonstration. You owe it to the game to play it out until such a time as mate or resignation occurs. If the side with the easy win times out or muffs it and loses, then that's the breaks.
  11. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 18:161 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I disagree, if the position is totally lost, then demonstrating the win should be an easy task. It is your opponent's "right" to see the demonstration. You owe it to the game to play it out until such a time as mate or resignation occurs. If the side with the easy win times out or muffs it and loses, then that's the breaks.
    Well i'm not especially interested talking this out indefinitely, but i will just say that correspondence is different from otb chess. You get days, sometimes weeks added to your clock every time you move. Time is not really an issue unless you are called away for something that prevents you from making a move. These things crop up for everyone sooner or later. If you are in, say, this position..

This could take months to finish if black plays it out.

White is not going to mess this up, it is such a basic win white can make 20 or 30 inaccuracies and still win. Playing on in this position would mean you are playing in the hope of receiving a gift from God, like your opponent dropping dead or suffering a brain hemorrhage. I personally find that a bit unsporting. Some people don't agree, fair enough, but there you go..
  12. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 18:241 edit
    Well i'm not especially interested talking this out indefinitely, but i will just say that correspondence is different from otb chess. You get days, sometimes weeks added to your clock every time you move. Time is not really an issue unless you are called away for something that prevents you from making a move. These things crop up for everyone so ...[text shortened]... personally find that a bit unsporting. Some people don't agree, fair enough, but there you go..
    Marinkatomb, That looks like a draw to me. White cannot win the pawn and then get out of the way of his own pawn.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 18:432 edits
    Well i'm not especially interested talking this out indefinitely, but i will just say that correspondence is different from otb chess. You get days, sometimes weeks added to your clock every time you move. Time is not really an issue unless you are called away for something that prevents you from making a move.
    Let's stop here.

I am incredulous when people are so afraid of losing on time that they are not comfortable even when they have some god-awfully slow time control like 7 days per move. Really? You can't even check the site once in a whole week? You can't avail yourself of any vacation days to prevent timeout?

Sheesh, most people at least have time to check on their smartphone when they are taking a dump. Unless you have a strange medical condition, that's something that goes on no matter what you are doing, and where you are. 😕

The final straw is that you could be in a 100-move unclear endgame that gives you the exact same 'risk' of timeout. It's not the opponent's problem if you can't show up to move. Same goes for the situation when you're completely winning.
  14. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 19:44
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Let's stop here.

I am incredulous when people are so afraid of losing on time that they are not comfortable even when they have some god-awfully slow time control like 7 days per move. Really? You can't even check the site once in a whole week? You can't avail yourself of any vacation days to prevent timeout?

Sheesh, most people at least have time ...[text shortened]... roblem if you can't show up to move. Same goes for the situation when you're completely winning.
    Yes, like i said, not everyone is going to agree with me, but that's the way i feel about it. No one is breaking any rules, i just don't feel it's in the spirit of the game. There is no shame in resigning a lost position.
  15. Joined
    07 Jul '12
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 20:041 edit
    Well i'm not especially interested talking this out indefinitely, but i will just say that correspondence is different from otb chess. You get days, sometimes weeks added to your clock every time you move. Time is not really an issue unless you are called away for something that prevents you from making a move. These things crop up for everyone so ...[text shortened]... personally find that a bit unsporting. Some people don't agree, fair enough, but there you go..
    This position is a draw irregardless of whose move.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree