1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 20:09
    Originally posted by Sebastian Yap
    This position is a draw irregardless of whose move.
    Yes fine, insert any position where white wins but it takes 30 odd moves to convert a forced win...
  2. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 20:15
    I think the non-resignation of "lost" positions in "correspondence" chess is a feature of the internet age. Each move no longer comes at the cost of a stamp or the effort involved in writing it out. Back then the complaints were about abuse of time controls, moves going missing, lose one game resign the rest, silent withdrawals. Play on servers has ruled most of this out but has brought forth other etiquette issues. I've had opponents who take a whole 21 days for their moves in Long Hauls yet clearly "blitz" the move when they get to it ignoring very basic one move threats. Are they trying to antagonize or just maintain a game load that more or less guarantees a half hour or hour simultaneous blitzing every night? What about people who take on a large number of games then allow many of them to time out? Is that disrespectful to an opponent who puts significant time into finding replies to the first 20 moves or is it lack of planning, failing to handle an internet addiction or the unexpected intervention of real life?

Resignation is very personal. I have played on some games beyond what I would call polite just so the finishing position is a bland looking rook endgame or something rather than the debacle that preceded it. I don't take three days each move to do it mind, but it would be hypocritical not to afford an opponent the same privilege.
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 20:28
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Yes, like i said, not everyone is going to agree with me, but that's the way i feel about it. No one is breaking any rules, i just don't feel it's in the spirit of the game. There is no shame in resigning a lost position.
    I agree that there is no shame in resigning. I just think it is entirely for the losing player's benefit.
  4. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 20:30

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 21:00
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I agree that there is no shame in resigning. I just think it is entirely for the losing player's benefit.
    Exactly. I hate to look at a board after I've done something stupid and see only but futility. Resigning is an easy way to relieve the pain and suffering 😀
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Jan '14 00:07
    Originally posted by Coach David
    I have Q v Kt and equal pawns yet my opponent plays on. How can I politely urge him/her to resign and stop disrespecting me?
    "How DARE he not see I am his superior and that he should give the game to me AS IS MY DUE!!!"

Yeah, that's respectful.
  7. e4
    Moves
    07 Jan '14 01:321 edit
    Forget OTB play and good manners.

Playing on in a lost position on RHP hoping for a stalemate is the norm.
    It's not bad manners or disrespectful, some of the lads on here think it's OK
    to chase a stalemate. It's part of the game.

Between 1st Jan 2011 and 31st Dec 2012 there were 4,939 stalemates
    on RHP from 1,354,243 games.
    During that period Bodiea User 202132 has been involved in 15 stalemates.

On my OTB database of 6+ million games between 1900 and 2000 there were 1190 stalemates

So in 2 years on here. 4939 stalemates
    In 100 years of OTB play 1190 stalemates.

It's a totally different world on here. Just accept that the player you
    agreed to play with the agreed time controls....

A) Does not want to resign.
    B) May not know he is losing.
    C) Waiting for you get your grade higher so resigning won't do his grade as much damage.
    D) Hopes you may walk into a stalemate.
    E) Thinks you are actually enjoying the game.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I honestly expect one day to see some lad post:

Thread title: What a Sore Loser!

"I've just put my game into Fritz and it says I am 1.6+ ahead.
    I have PM'd my opponent with this fact and he refuses to resign?"
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 16:28
    At the worry of getting shot down here, for a relative beginner such as myself playing on is part of learning chess, I like to see how players dispatch me and I look over the games when time permits.

I feel that an opportunity to learn something may have been lost if I resigned, I also feel whilst I'm still moving there is always a chance, never happens to me, but its worth thinking about.

Happy new year.

Willy......
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 17:35
    Originally posted by Sirdubalot
    At the worry of getting shot down here, for a relative beginner such as myself playing on is part of learning chess, I like to see how players dispatch me and I look over the games when time permits.

I feel that an opportunity to learn something may have been lost if I resigned, I also feel whilst I'm still moving there is always a chance, never happens to me, but its worth thinking about.

Happy new year.

Willy......
    I totally agree, it is an option to hang in there to learn, good point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree