Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 02 Jan '14 02:43
    I have Q v Kt and equal pawns yet my opponent plays on. How can I politely urge him/her to resign and stop disrespecting me?
  2. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    02 Jan '14 02:59
    Originally posted by Coach David
    I have Q v Kt and equal pawns yet my opponent plays on. How can I politely urge him/her to resign and stop disrespecting me?
    Quit yer whining and just checkmate him already.
  3. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    02 Jan '14 03:48
    As long as your opponent has a legal move he can make, he has the right to play it. As far as disrespect goes, starting a thread whining about an opponent's refusal to resign is disrespectful. I can only hope he sees this and starts moving as slowly as possible, and start sacing pieces to prolong the game. 😛
  4. 02 Jan '14 03:53
    Coach David,
    Use your time to be as efficient and as destructive as possible. Just consider it practice.
  5. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    02 Jan '14 10:52
    You are impolite and deserve full disrespect.
  6. 02 Jan '14 11:45
    Is anyone else choking on the irony?
  7. Subscriber thaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    02 Jan '14 12:24 / 1 edit
    You're playing on in this position ? Game 10368925

Time to get back on the coach, David
  8. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    02 Jan '14 12:26
    Who was the Grandmaster who said: You can give up a Parcel but not a game of chess?
    (Maybe original German: "Du kannst ein Postpaket aufgeben, aber keine Schachpartie."😉
  9. 02 Jan '14 16:11 / 2 edits
    Hi Coach.

The losing player always determines the right when the game will end.
    At least let your opponent have that right.
    He actually put up quite a show after losing for his Queen.

I knew I recognised that name.
    I used one of your games in the test postions from RHP games in the re-write of [b[Mastering Chess[/b]

http://www.redhotpawn.com/blog/blogread.php?blogpostid=146

The sales BTW are going very well, Lessons 5- 9 on Opening Principles and Ideas
    by Ian Harris is actually very good (not as good as my bit, but good none the less.) 🙂

Come to think of it Coach, why did you not resign? You were faced with a forced mate in two. Game 3584815 😉

batjuchin - Coach David RHP 2007

White only saw the continuation 21...Kh8 22.Ng6+ Kh7 23.Nf8+ etc etc...
    so being a piece down he was happy with the draw. White missed?
  10. 02 Jan '14 17:28
    If I missed a mate like that I would tear up my ECF Certificate of Excellence and throw it in the bin.
  11. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    02 Jan '14 18:12
    That's the kind of position chess players live for. 😞
  12. 02 Jan '14 18:48
    Ouch. I'm sure I've missed a few smothered mates in my time, they're never there when I'm looking for them, hopefully now after a couple of years playing and attempting to improve my spidey senses will tingle when there's something like that on.
  13. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    02 Jan '14 19:15
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    You're playing on in this position ? Game 10368925

Time to get back on the coach, David
    I think the guy resigned.
  14. Standard member hedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    02 Jan '14 19:16
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You are impolite and deserve full disrespect.
    What a brilliant comment. Hope you haven't copyrighted it as I intend to store it to memory and use it like an opening trap during an argument. 😀
  15. 02 Jan '14 19:42
    I once, and only once, did a queen sac followed by a smothered mate. Having done it once, I think I would be much better at spotting them in the future, as I am sure I will never forget that finish.