1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 04:201 edit
    Originally posted by hamltnblue
    It's not fair to lower rated players for you to resign all of your games. Think about it. If you resign all 50 games you have current your rating will drop significantly. People that are much lower rated than you will accept challenges or challenge you thinking that the new rating is your real one. Sure you'll win most of the games but it will be becaus er, but sandbagging.
    It's better to just not take any more games on until you finish some.
    If I resigned a significant number of games simoltaneously, and then I got to the point where I wanted additional games, I wouldn't accept games from lower-rated players; I would only accept invites from players around my rating before I resigned. By playing significantly lower rated players, you (usually) don't learn anything, anyway.
  2. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 05:072 edits
    Originally posted by pkerpk
    What's the point of that?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I mean why forfeit because your'e bored?!?! While youv'e got a life make good use of it!
    Read my post again, I never said I resigned because I was bored! As I said I resigned because I wanted to change my style (this is on gameknot not here) to more of an otb approach (ie no databases in friendlies, far far less use of the analyze board feature and less time per move in general. The point was that I was actually spending far too much time on each move in a total of about 50 games (over both sites), ok some players here play 100's, but thats what they prefer, I don't and I wanted my life back! and to make good use of it (using your words). Doing things like playing badminton with my wife, walking my dog in the woods, jogging around the local pitch (with my dog) and cycling off road in the nearby common (again with my dog) and playing otb games with fellow members of my chess club. All these activities were being sqeezed because I was spending far too much time in front of my pc playing chess. So I changed my playing style at gameknot (in friendlies) and cut back on the number of games because I simply wasn't enjoying it any more mainly due to the fact that I was spending far too much time here (and gameknot) and actually beating people that were much better than me otb, not because I was better at cc than them but simply because I was putting a lot more time in. I actually enjoy otb a lot more, but am very grateful to the way cc has helped me otb particularly in openings (if only I would stop blundering won games away!).
  3. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 05:29
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    If I have too many games to cope with I just blitz them until the number drops. That means a few blunders and a few lost games but better that than conceding without a fight.
    That's probably what I should have done on gameknot rather than just resigned a load of games, at teh time however I was totally fed up with spending so much time on cc chess and not actually enjoying it anymore, which clouded my judgement.
  4. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 11:492 edits
    Originally posted by anthias
    Have you ever done it?
    User 283809 I suppose if they wanted to close their account like that, they could cancel their subscription or do something like make another account, use a chess engine or harass someone. Then again, jprezzano might come back.
  5. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 13:31
    Originally posted by hamltnblue
    It's not fair to lower rated players for you to resign all of your games. Think about it. If you resign all 50 games you have current your rating will drop significantly. ....most of the games but it will be because you're playing lower rated players, not because you got any better. They'll lose, not because they were up against a similar player, but be ...[text shortened]... her, but sandbagging.
    It's better to just not take any more games on until you finish some.
    I agree, I've been sandbagged a number of times, and while I usually learn something from those games, If you get a couple of those together, it lowers your rating, making it harder to get a good match.

Plus it just plane stinks to lose a game to someone whom you might not have played knowing their true elo!
  6. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 13:40
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    If I have too many games to cope with I just blitz them until the number drops. That means a few blunders and a few lost games but better that than conceding without a fight.
    This is what I do. Only once have I dropped below 1500 since I crossed that threshold initially even when I blitz.
  7. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 13:42
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    If I resigned a significant number of games simoltaneously, and then I got to the point where I wanted additional games, I wouldn't accept games from lower-rated players; I would only accept invites from players around my rating before I resigned. By playing significantly lower rated players, you (usually) don't learn anything, anyway.
    I did that when I got my highest rating of the last 100 days (1589), then it dropped to 1275! 😳 The funny thing about it is, I've never been timed-out here or in OTB games in my life! 😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree