1. Joined
    28 Jun '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '10 20:20
    Howdy....am back from a 5 year RHP sabbatical....and so glad i did...

but there are one or two games where I am left with just a king and a pawn or two (usually games where i have made a seriously stupid error) and I feel like resigning, but what is the etiquette on this site - better to play it out and give the player the satisfaction of getting that checkmate? Or just resigning and running away?
  2. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    08 Oct '10 21:11
    Its a conundrum.

Everyone likes giving checkmate, but really, there's no point in continuing if its hopeless.

I usually resign so I can start another game where I have a chance.
  3. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    08 Oct '10 21:56
    Originally posted by igirisunohito
    Howdy....am back from a 5 year RHP sabbatical....and so glad i did...

but there are one or two games where I am left with just a king and a pawn or two (usually games where i have made a seriously stupid error) and I feel like resigning, but what is the etiquette on this site - better to play it out and give the player the satisfaction of getting that checkmate? Or just resigning and running away?
    I think you should play out every game to the bitter end, always delaying your next move until near the end of the time control. You should ignore the threads of indignant protest in the forums created by opponents impatient for their victory. Maybe you could satisfy your alter ego by creating an account with the name "Resign Fool".

However I would read the terms of service first!
  4. Standard memberPariah325
    Knife Wielder
    In the shadows...
    Moves
    09 Oct '10 00:35
    Ragwort is saying don't talk about games in progress. It's a serious no-no.
  5. e4
    Moves
    09 Oct '10 01:42
    Hi

What have you been doing whilst you were away.
    Re-writing Chess theory?

Your Queen play in Game 7804331 which you won.

She captured both Rooks, one Knight, one Bishop and five pawns.

Meanwhile after 24 movers you have an King uncastled
    and 4 pieces undeveloped still sitting on their home square.

So much for the law of development and the rule about
    not bringing your Queen too early.

The final positon in that game.

That is an acceptable resignable postion on RHP. 😉
  6. Joined
    11 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '10 01:47
    Personally, I always resign when I feel my position is lost. Howerver I don't mind when my opponent plays it out, as long as they stay consistant with their move frequency. I get a bit mad if my opponent intentionally drags the game out to aviod a loss.
    If he's moving at a consistant pace(say 1 move a day) then suddenly slows down to 1 move every 3 days when his position is lost, I feel it's disrespectful, allthough its within the rules, so I don't say anything.
  7. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    09 Oct '10 02:21
    Originally posted by Bostonsux81
    If he's moving at a consistant pace(say 1 move a day) then suddenly slows down to 1 move every 3 days when his position is lost, I feel it's disrespectful, allthough its within the rules, so I don't say anything.
    You just have said something lol
  8. Joined
    11 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '10 02:44
    Originally posted by adramforall
    You just have said something lol
    not really, i'd never call out anyone, and it doesnt even apply to any of my current games. it was just a general statement.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '10 07:25
    I remember the tiem when I wasn't a subscriber. As a non-sub I had sex games, and six games only. I hated the situation when several of the games was a clear win for me, and he wanted to play it out to a mate. I just wanted him to resign, so I could start another game.

Now, as a subscriber, I don't mind. I can start hundreds and hundreds of games, and anyone wanting to play a game to his ultimate mate, well, I let him.

The problem is not about what my opponents do or not do. The problem is if you are a non-sub, and have limited amount of games to play in.
  10. Joined
    07 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Oct '10 07:311 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I remember the tiem when I wasn't a subscriber. As a non-sub I had sex games.
    I've looked and haven't found that option. where is it?
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Oct '10 08:25
    Originally posted by Darax The Good
    It should be under "open invites"
  12. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    09 Oct '10 09:17
    I remember the tiem when I wasn't a subscriber. As a non-sub I had sex games
    I'd always play those out to a mate
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '10 11:38
    Originally posted by Darax The Good
    Sorry, I spelled wrong. Sex is Swedish for six, not an abbreviation for some other word.

Englishmen to a Swedish salesgirl: "I'll have half a dozen, please."
    She answered: "You want sex?"
    "Yes, thank you, but I want half a dozen first."
  14. c6
    Moves
    09 Oct '10 14:28
    I've never thought to myself, "Dang, I wish that jerk hadn't resigned just now!" Once I can see the win in hand, the satisfaction is already there, and I don't need to see it played out on the board.

As someone mentioned, us cheapo non-subscribers really like to free up our game slots, too.

When someone pulls a Dead Man's Defense on me, it really impacts my ability to use and enjoy this website.
  15. Joined
    07 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Oct '10 19:15
    Sorry, I spelled wrong. Sex is Swedish for six, not an abbreviation for some other word.

Englishmen to a Swedish salesgirl: "I'll have half a dozen, please."
    She answered: "You want sex?"
    "Yes, thank you, but I want half a dozen first."
    The Swedes get hotter the more I learn about them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree