Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 02 Nov '06 15:52 / 2 edits
    While playing here, I noticed one of my opponent playing Marshall Counterattack as black. I was pretty disturbed with that variation as my research showed that this variation gave black a great increase in his position and development so i messed up the opening.

    Can anyone please tell me how can i defend and attack against it.

    Thanks
  2. 02 Nov '06 16:16 / 2 edits
    Against RECUVIC, the GM, who won basically because i played 13. Bg5 instead of 13. h3, driving the bishop away. That lost it for me

    Game 2614913

    Edit: is this even the marshall?
  3. Standard member thesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    02 Nov '06 16:35
    Go with a closed anti-marshall as white, like Mr. Tebb did here in Game 2571573
  4. 02 Nov '06 16:43
    Originally posted by mazziewag
    Against RECUVIC, the GM, who won basically because i played 13. Bg5 instead of 13. h3, driving the bishop away. That lost it for me

    Game 2614913

    Edit: is this even the marshall?
    Nope.
    The Marshall
    1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.O-O Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 O-O 8.c3 d5

    You didn't play 8.. d5.
  5. Standard member thesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    02 Nov '06 16:45
    Originally posted by mazziewag
    Against RECUVIC, the GM, who won basically because i played 13. Bg5 instead of 13. h3, driving the bishop away. That lost it for me

    Game 2614913

    Edit: is this even the marshall?
    No, it is not. The Marshall Attack goes 7...0-0 8.c3 d5 instead of your d6. It continues 9.exd5 Nxd5 10.Nxe5 Nxe5 11.Rxe5 and white is up a pawn, but black has great attacking chances. The main line goes 11...c6 12.d4 Bd6 13.Re1 Qh4 14.g3 Qh3 15.Be3 Bh4 16.Qd3 et cetera. It's a fun line, but there are too many ways for white to avoid it. Anyway, the main line has been all but refuted anyway and the sidelines have a habit of becoming drawish.
  6. 02 Nov '06 16:46 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    Go with a closed anti-marshall as white
    That's what I do, unless I'm feeling like a fight - just avoid it completely. There are a few options for sidestepping it - common ones are 8.a4, 8.h3 and 8.d3.
  7. 02 Nov '06 16:49
    that's the closed variation when black plays 7...d6.
    Thanks the sonofsoul for the gamelink.
  8. Standard member Wiabj
    The Black Swan
    02 Nov '06 17:22
    Originally posted by Khan
    that's the closed variation when black plays 7...d6.
    Thanks the sonofsoul for the gamelink.
    Another example of the Marshall Attack, Spassky variation, with d5 see Game 2496162. Typical classical setup with the black rooks on the e file. With precise play black has nothing more than a draw.
    Originaly Frank Marshall played instead of d5, Nf6 and lost to Capablanca.
    When played nowadays by GM's, d3 (instead of d4) is more in fashion (see for example the classical world champion match between P/Leko-V.Kramnik). Or course most GM played the anti-marshall at move 8.
  9. 02 Nov '06 17:40
    Originally posted by mazziewag
    Against RECUVIC, the GM, who won basically because i played 13. Bg5 instead of 13. h3, driving the bishop away. That lost it for me

    Game 2614913

    Edit: is this even the marshall?
    but b4 one move earlier didn't seem very good. I think maybe c6 was a bad move by your opponent and you should have played dxc. But I'm not sure if d6 is a weakness though, maybe someone who knows could tell me. I would be surprised if a 2000 player playd c6 if it was a bad move Also as you pointed out yourself you should have played h3 some time before Bg5.
  10. 02 Nov '06 17:45
    Originally posted by sorrymate
    but b4 one move earlier didn't seem very good. I think maybe c6 was a bad move by your opponent and you should have played dxc. But I'm not sure if d6 is a weakness though, maybe someone who knows could tell me. I would be surprised if a 2000 player playd c6 if it was a bad move Also as you pointed out yourself you should have played h3 some time before Bg5.
    c6 is the black move which immediately challenges whites centre!! it is the 'big black move' as RECUVIC put it himself. (we discuss games as we go)
  11. 02 Nov '06 19:15
    Then maybe white should wait with d5 a little until he is forced to play it. If c5 is played black can't challenge whites centre with c6 anymore (if c6 is a good move that is). Exactly what does d5 do for white right after d4?
  12. 02 Nov '06 21:14
    Originally posted by mazziewag
    c6 is the black move which immediately challenges whites centre!! it is the 'big black move' as RECUVIC put it himself. (we discuss games as we go)
    Do you still honestly believe that guy's a GM? His profile proves he's full of it.
  13. 02 Nov '06 21:28 / 2 edits
    haha, nice profile. He's got humour
  14. 02 Nov '06 22:51
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Do you still honestly believe that guy's a GM? His profile proves he's full of it.
    Yes i do, he isnt full of it. the way he talks is full of exclamation marks, he will say "good morning to you to!!!!" its just the way he types, it may be a little weird but it doesnt mean he isnt a GM. He loses games here, which proves he isnt using an engine, i doubt someone who easily beats 2000+ players who isnt a GM would pretend to be one. he knows people doubt him but he doesnt come and try and prove himself as he doesnt care what other people think! if he was faking it, wouldnt he try and persuade people to believe him?
  15. 02 Nov '06 22:55
    Originally posted by mazziewag
    Yes i do, he isnt full of it. the way he talks is full of exclamation marks, he will say "good morning to you to!!!!" its just the way he types, it may be a little weird but it doesnt mean he isnt a GM. He loses games here, which proves he isnt using an engine, i doubt someone who easily beats 2000+ players who isnt a GM would pretend to be one. he knows p ...[text shortened]... at other people think! if he was faking it, wouldnt he try and persuade people to believe him?
    He probably wouldn't post something idiotic about being a GM and comparing himself to an engine in his profile. Engines lose all the time.