1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 May '09 04:26
    does anyone know how many moves the lone king can make before the game is a draw?
  2. Joined
    28 Feb '09
    Moves
    29 May '09 04:54
    there is no limit except where repetition, last pawn move, last peice captured come into play
  3. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    29 May '09 04:54
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    does anyone know how many moves the lone king can make before the game is a draw?
    no rule i am aware of
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 May '09 05:05
    I thought the 50 move rule apply?
    If a lone king have moved 50 moves, and no pawns have been moved, or no pieces have been taken, then it's 50 moves.

And of course the 3 fold repetition rule: If the same position appears thrice, then you can claim draw.
  5. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    29 May '09 05:41
    a draw can result from a stale mate,from a 3 time repetition of position,perpetual check,or by agreement
  6. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    29 May '09 05:48
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    a draw can result from a stale mate,from a 3 time repetition of position,perpetual check,or by agreement
    Ive seen it happen over insufficient material as well, such as king, knight vs king automatically in online blitz. i imagine in otb that would be by agreement. never heard of this 50 move rule though outside of agreeing to it before a friendly game starts
  7. Lagos
    Moves
    29 May '09 06:00
    How come this is such an issue. I remember a thread like this. If you have a lone king it is best u resign except if ur opponent doesn't have enough material to mate you with.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 May '09 06:05
    never heard of this 50 move rule though outside of agreeing to it before a friendly game starts
    Oh, it's a FIDE rule 5.2 (e):
    "The game may be drawn if each player has made at least the last 50 consecutive moves without the movement of any pawn and without any capture."

This rule makes it possible to claim draw, not only offer draw, at RHP.
  9. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    29 May '09 06:22
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Oh, it's a FIDE rule 5.2 (e):
    "The game may be drawn if each player has made at least the last 50 consecutive moves without the movement of any pawn and without any capture."

This rule makes it possible to claim draw, not only offer draw, at RHP.
    ok well I learned something new. appreciate itπŸ™‚
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 May '09 06:321 edit
    ok well I learned something new. appreciate itπŸ™‚
    De nada. πŸ™‚
    Actually I've never had a game when this rule apply. However, the threat of it alone makes it easier for either part to accept an offered draw.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 May '09 08:44
    so even if there are other pieces a draw can still be claimed if no other pieces are moved and the king moves 50 times?
  12. Joined
    22 Sep '06
    Moves
    29 May '09 09:312 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    so even if there are other pieces a draw can still be claimed if no other pieces are moved and the king moves 50 times?
    No a draw is claimed if no pawn moves are made and no captures are made. Given that a lone king doesn't own pieces this means that if the mater doesn't have pawns he has to successfully mate in 50 moves or ironically sacrifice material back to restart the counter (which I don't think ever happens).
  13. Planet Earth , Mwy
    Moves
    30 May '09 02:02
    correct of course,material may be sacrificed if desired in order to prevent the opponent player from claiming a draw under the 50 move rule=no pawns moved or captures made by either side for 50 move each player .This process may be repeated as many times as desired until all possible pawn moves and captures have been made,however the 50 move rule remains in place throughout this possible process. The original purpose of this 50 move rule was to allow either player to force an end to a chess game in a situation where the only possible result is a draw,due to insufficent material.However it is not compulsory to claim or agree a draw in such circumstances,and only common sense by one or both players can force such a draw.---------😴

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree