1. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 19:021 edit
    Hey All Others,
    I want to know what I should do in the following case. I am playing against "alexsprod" and we have started a game with 1. e4 e5 2. Bc4 Nc6 3. c3 Nf6 4. d3

I want to know if I should resign our game because of keeping an RHP rule or RHP rules?

The reason why I ask this is because ,at least, possibly after I started our game and after move 1 from my opponent, I may have used an electronic chess machine to play out Ruy Lopez games with 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 and multiple continuations from there with more than 1 game of move variations.

Although my opponent has not started the Ruy Lopez, am I required to resign our game so that I do not cheat in our game?

I could have waited to see first what my opponent played and only after seeing that my opponent did not play the Ruy Lopez opening, used the electronic game machine to see Ruy Lopez opening variations.

For all I know, such variations may have included 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5

3... a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5. O-O Nxe4 and further continuations
    3... a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5. O-O Be7 and further continuations
    and
    possibly other variations

The game id is Game 11466429

#1) Did I cheat?
    #2) Do I need to resign my game with alexsprod?

I have already resigned games with byedidia and bigerjim because of electronic chess game machine occurrences. I wish that I did not have to wait multiple days to use the electronic chess game machine to see opening variations that I am interested in. I suppose, however, if I view Queen's pawn openings, English Openings, and other non-1. e4 and non-1. Nf3 or non-2. Nf3 openings after my opponent plays 1. e4, I am safe to do so without cheating.

What are all peoples' opinions, including RUSS, about my game with "alexsprod?"

Lastly, is this a drawback to anyone else on RHP?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 22:37
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    Hey All Others,
    I want to know what I should do in the following case. I am playing against "alexsprod" and we have started a game with 1. e4 e5 2. Bc4 Nc6 3. c3 Nf6 4. d3

I want to know if I should resign our game because of keeping an RHP rule or RHP rules?

The reason why I ask this is because ,at least, possibly after I started our game and af ...[text shortened]... uding RUSS, about my game with "alexsprod?"

It doesn't look to me like you were pursuing a continuation played on the board to get advantage. Looks to me like you just doing a search of variations which you could have just as easily gotten by looking at any opening book and besides you are way away from a Lopez anyway. I look up opening lines online and I have a few opening books but that is not using an engine to analyse specific positions played and it doesn't look to me like that is what is going on with you. You are free to look up opening books because this is more like a corr. site.

Opening books don't usually help me that much anyway🙂 After 10 or 15 moves in one of us will slide off the opening line and you are on your own after that.
  3. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 00:13
    I wouldn't bother. If you're really worried about it raise a Fair Play ticket accusing yourself of cheating and send yourself a strongly worded PM.
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 14:22
    Hey All Others,

The reason why I ask this is because ,at least, possibly after I started our game and af ...[text shortened]... uding RUSS, about my game with "alexsprod?"

There's nothing in the rhp rules which says you can't follow book openings.
    Why bother even checking the moves of one?
    It's ridiculous to resign a game just because it is the same as thousands of other games for the first few moves
  5. Joined
    28 Dec '09
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 14:59
    Hey All Others,

You've missed the point here:
    It is strictly forbidden to comment on a game in progress.
    Or is this post an attempt at a (poor) wind-up?
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 18:34
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    I wouldn't bother. If you're really worried about it raise a Fair Play ticket accusing yourself of cheating and send yourself a strongly worded PM.
    He tried, but he blocked himself.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    12 Dec '15 14:29
    Hey All Others,

I don't understand what you are asking. There is no site rule telling you that it is cheating to play games against a chess computer just in case it produces a continuation that you have in a game here. You were playing out Spanish lines against the machine before you knew whether you'd be playing the Spanish in your game, so what? At move 3 the machine will still be in its database and choosing moves from grandmaster praxis anyway. Were you to feed a current position into an engine and play out positions from there then that would be cheating.

Suppose you had a game in progress here and played a GM in a simul and the same line came up in your simul. game as in the rhp game - you'd hardly resign the rhp game just because you'd played a line out against a GM.

The rule is one of advice. If one were to play against the machine in order to gain advice on what to do in a specific current game then that is cheating, if one is just playing a machine to gain general experience in an opening it is not cheating.
  8. SubscriberZorroTheFox
    MAP since 090214!
    Round Rock, TX
    Moves
    15 Dec '15 04:52
    In my opinion, I recommend you stop using anything such as books, electronics, etc. Since the game is still too early, I just recommend you continue playing but stop using any means to take advantage of your opponent. I would not worry about it. I am glad that you caught yourself early.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree