1. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Nov '07 22:27
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Ok, it bothers me how you form past tense, you've done this since you've been on here and it's always bothered me...

It's not "you did mention," it's "you mentioned" the word did is incorrect, simply throw the ed on. That's generally how you form the past tense forms.
    Is there really any point. I'm sure his English is a whole lot better than your Lettish.
  2. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    28 Nov '07 23:35
    Originally posted by Korch
    After 9.exf5 white has extra pawn and I dont see real compensation
    for black. All three moves you mentioned gives white better play.
    I strongly disagree with you. I have played this line many times as black (including against strong opposition) and have rarely failed to obtain good counterplay in practice. I have to admit I rather doubt your judgment in view of your passionate defence of the Latvian, which I think most people would agree is much inferior to the Schliemann.
  3. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 01:201 edit
    Originally posted by Northern Lad
    I strongly disagree with you. I have played this line many times as black (including against strong opposition) and have rarely failed to obtain good counterplay in practice. I have to admit I rather doubt your judgment in view of your passionate defence of the Latvian, which I think most people would agree is much inferior to the Schliemann.
    If your opponents was not prepared against Schliemann then no wonder that they could not find the best moves over the board. I agree that Schliemann is playable opening in which you can get practical chances, but (like in Latvian gambit) if white know how to play they may get some plus with safe position. We may play some thematic games in this line and then lets see.....

Yes I know that we have different opinions in many points about openings including Latvian gambit. And I`m still thinkng that Latvian gambit is not so bad as you consider.
  4. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 01:24
    I played a good ruy lopez tonight in a league match against somebody rated 2035 which went like this.

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 d6 5.h3 g6 6.c3 Bg7 7.d4 Bb7
    It was round this point I thought there were lots of options for black - he decided to castle on the kingside but I managed to get my b knight round to h3 (via d2 and f1, as is quite usual in the lopez) whih prevented him playing f5 and he never got a pawn break and I eventually ended up coming through on the kingside for a win.

Is this a real line or did we just make it up on the spot?
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 01:31
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    I played a good ruy lopez tonight in a league match against somebody rated 2035 which went like this.

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 d6 5.h3 g6 6.c3 Bg7 7.d4 Bb7
    It was round this point I thought there were lots of options for black - he decided to castle on the kingside but I managed to get my b knight round to h3 (via d2 and f1, as is quit ...[text shortened]... through on the kingside for a win.

Is this a real line or did we just make it up on the spot?
    the move h3 deviated from any line I know in the Ruy...
  6. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 01:57
    h3 gets played in some lines by top grand masters - it is especially useful in closed sort of positions like this one to restrict blacks light square bishop and stop it going to g4 which can be quite annoying.
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 02:02
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    h3 gets played in some lines by top grand masters - it is especially useful in closed sort of positions like this one to restrict blacks light square bishop and stop it going to g4 which can be quite annoying.
    but not at move 5 right?
  8. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 02:27
    As soon as black plays d6 you play h3, so it can be anywhere between move 5 and move 15.
  9. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 12:08
    If your opponents was not prepared against Schliemann then no wonder that they could not find the best moves over the board. I agree that Schliemann is playable opening in which you can get practical chances, but (like in Latvian gambit) if white know how to play they may get some plus with safe position. We may play some thematic games in this line and then ...[text shortened]... luding Latvian gambit. And I`m still thinkng that Latvian gambit is not so bad as you consider.
    It is well known that I often play the Schliemann OTB, so one must assume that many of my opponents will have prepared against it; indeed I know that to be a fact.
  10. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 12:37
    It is well known that I often play the Schliemann OTB, so one must assume that many of my opponents will have prepared against it; indeed I know that to be a fact.
    What about some thematic games started (from position after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 f5 4.d3 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Nc3 0-0 7.Bc4+ Kh8 8.Ng5 Qe8 9.exf5) ?
  11. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 13:38
    What about some thematic games started (from position after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 f5 4.d3 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Nc3 0-0 7.Bc4+ Kh8 8.Ng5 Qe8 9.exf5) ?
    I have more than enough games on RHP at the moment, but when we next play a normal tournament or clan game (and we seem to have played a lot of games together), I'm happy to play the Schliemann if you play Spanish (Lopez) against me. (And I'll be more than happy to take on the Latvian again despite my normal preference for the King's Gambit!)
  12. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 13:451 edit
    I have more than enough games on RHP at the moment, but when we next play a normal tournament or clan game (and we seem to have played a lot of games together), I'm happy to play the Schliemann if you play Spanish (Lopez) against me. (And I'll be more than happy to take on the Latvian again despite my normal preference for the King's Gambit!)
    OK. When we will meet in tournament (or clan match) then I`ll be glad to play Schliemann and Latvian games with you 🙂
  13. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 20:20
    OK. When we will meet in tournament (or clan match) then I`ll be glad to play Schliemann and Latvian games with you 🙂
    Very interesting, especially because you two have the exact same rating right now.
  14. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 23:05
    Stop talking about schlieman gambits - we dont want a sudden spate of players chucking that at me. Especially when I am trying to learn the a6 Ba4 lines!
  15. Tionesta
    Moves
    01 Dec '07 02:11
    Have any of you tried the (Worrall) ? It is characterized by Q-E2, usually the 5th move.

play the Ruy Lopez Andrew Greet with intro by Nigel Short. I would be interested in hearing any comments.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree