1. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Nov '07 02:55
    A billion variations of the ruy. What moves do you prefer?
  2. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    09 Nov '07 02:58
    The exchange variation cuts down alot of learning for white so is one of my favourites.

Although, I wouldnt use it repeatedly against the same opponent as they will be likely to find improvements - I remember a few years ago I played a guy over the board and beat him after quite a tough battle and then analysed the position with him telling him where he went wrong.
    A week later I played a tournament and got drawn against him, with him knowing the best moves against me and getting a winning position but having to bail out and offer a draw due to running low on time.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Nov '07 02:59
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    The exchange variation cuts down alot of learning for white so is one of my favourites.

Although, I wouldnt use it repeatedly against the same opponent as they will be likely to find improvements - I remember a few years ago I played a guy over the board and beat him after quite a tough battle and then analysed the position with him telling him ...[text shortened]... d getting a winning position but having to bail out and offer a draw due to running low on time.
    moral of the story, never tell anyone ANYTHING 😛.. explaining why my traxler secret is still a secret 😛..

if we get the right line you'll see it in the finals of the traxler thematic tourney.
  4. Joined
    03 Mar '07
    Moves
    09 Nov '07 10:49
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    I typically play the Marshall gambit from the black side, and then from the white side, I typically play the main line, unless I suspect the Marshall, if that is the case I skip c3 and play d4 immediately
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '07 18:02
    As black I like the Berlin Defense.
  6. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    26 Nov '07 11:02
    I like playng 1...e5 in response to 1.e4
    But I have been searching for a good line against the Ruy. I absolutely HATE playing against the Exchange variation, which I find I get about 50% of the time OTB. So I have been endevouring to try and play something other than 3...a6.

Narrowed it down to 3

1. Schliemann
    2. Classical (with Cordel Gambit)
    3. Birds

Opinions Please!?

Especially Dragon Fire, you play 1...e5 and are an aggressive player what do you play against the Ruy OTB? If 3...a6 how do you find the Exchange?
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Nov '07 00:041 edit
    Originally posted by najdorfslayer
    But I have been searching for a good line against the Ruy. I absolutely HATE playing against the Exchange variation, which I find I get about 50% of the time OTB. So I have been endevouring to try and play something other than 3...a6.

Narrowed it down to 3

1. Schliemann
    2. Classical (with Cordel Gambit) ...[text shortened]... aggressive player what do you play against the Ruy OTB? If 3...a6 how do you find the Exchange?
    have you tried the Berlin defense I have a game against Recuvic with it?

Game 4223240
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Nov '07 02:44
    I've decided to try to learn Ruy, so that I can maybe start playing 1. e4 again. I like this:
    1. e4 e5
    2. Nf3 Nc6
    3. Bb5 a6!
    4. Ba4 Nf6
    5. c3

and the rest has a few more possibilities, but 5. c3 is the one I like best.
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Nov '07 03:272 edits

Narrowed it down to 3

1. Schliemann
    2. Classical (with Cordel Gambit) ...[text shortened]... aggressive player what do you play against the Ruy OTB? If 3...a6 how do you find the Exchange?
    the Schliemann is no good I have tried It and analyzed it and it is basically black just giving up in the opening.

EDIT:never mind I was thinking that the Schliemann is a different opening than it is. 😳
  10. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    27 Nov '07 11:29
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    the Schliemann is no good I have tried It and analyzed it and it is basically black just giving up in the opening.

EDIT:never mind I was thinking that the Schliemann is a different opening than it is. 😳
    As someone who has played the Schliemann OTB successfully against strong players (including GMs), I can't agree with this assessment. It may not be perfect objectively but is lively enough to give white players something to think about. I would say though that what is considered by many to be the main line (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 f5 4.Nc3 fxe4 5.Nxe4 d5 6.Nxe5 dxe4 7.Nxc6) is looking very good for white and may no longer be salvageable for black. However, there is plenty of scope for improvements for both sides in other lines. Maybe a Schliemann theme tourney might be an idea?

I've also long played the Marshall Attack for black. The main problem here is that hardly anyone seems to allow it. Granted, none of the various Anti Marshall lines are particularly frightening. However, there is just so much theory on the Marshall that you really have to know, which, in view of the infrequency of being allowed to play it, is somewhat offputting.
  11. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    27 Nov '07 13:00
    Originally posted by Northern Lad
    As someone who has played the Schliemann OTB successfully against strong players (including GMs), I can't agree with this assessment. It may not be perfect objectively but is lively enough to give white players something to think about. I would say though that what is considered by many to be the main line (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 f5 4.Nc3 fxe4 5.Nxe4 d ...[text shortened]... o know, which, in view of the infrequency of being allowed to play it, is somewhat offputting.
    Whats your opinion about 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 f5 4.d3!? (which in my opinion gives comfortable advantage for white) ?
  12. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    27 Nov '07 13:13
    I dont believe d3 is all that good at all for white, I always seem to end up in a fairly passive position where black has far greater potential for attack with the open f file and greater central dominance with his pawns.
  13. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    27 Nov '07 13:35
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    I dont believe d3 is all that good at all for white, I always seem to end up in a fairly passive position where black has far greater potential for attack with the open f file and greater central dominance with his pawns.
    I`m pretty sure that your evaluation of d3 is inadequate'- d3 is weak against the Latvian gambit when white bishop is undeveloped and passive, but not in Ruy. Some strong guys in forum of crestbook.com (site of GM Shipov in Russian) gives 4.d3 as refutation of Schliemann.
  14. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '07 14:52

Narrowed it down to 3

1. Schliemann
    I would not recommend playing the bird variation (1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Nd4?!). I doubt any strong player will fall for the 4. Nxe5? trap, and will probably play 4. Nxd4 exd4 5. O-O with a very pleasant position for white.
  15. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    27 Nov '07 17:31
    Originally posted by Korch
    Whats your opinion about 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 f5 4.d3!? (which in my opinion gives comfortable advantage for white) ?
    I think that the main line 4.d3 fxe4 5.dxe4 Nf6 6.0-0 does give white a reasonable prospect of a small positional advantage. However, I've had considerable success with 4...Nf6!?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree