Secrets of Pawns

Secrets of Pawns

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
19 Jul 09

I am looking for recommendations for websites or books that explain the secrets of pawn strategy. A few months ago, Kneecaps made this insightful reply, and it is material like this that I am searching for:

Originally posted by KneeCaps

"The rule of thumb for doubled Pawns is that if there are two united blocks of Pawns opposing each other and on the same files but separated from other Pawn blocks, the doubled Pawn does not count. But as soon as one has a Pawn on a file where the opponent has no Pawn, then the doubled Pawn does count when it is a question of forcing a passed Pawn." - Euwe

In the diagram below, the pawns are all on the same files. Here black's extra pawn is of no use. No matter how black advances he cannot force a passed pawn.

But in this diagram, where the pawn blocks are offset, black can advance and obtain a passed pawn. Play out both positions to see for yourself.

As a patzer, I enjoy finding small advantages and then simplifying the position to increase their relative value. And so it seems I am routinely confronted by all-out pawn wars - which are nearly always unclear to me.

I would like to find a treatise on pawn secrets and using pawns in combination with pieces other than the King. If such a source exists, or if there are particularly instructive games, please direct me to them.

Disclaimer, I am in the middle of a bout between Rooks and pawns; I am not asking for ideas or suggestions on the position. I am interested in learning more about different pawn situations.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
19 Jul 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Tigerhouse
I am looking for recommendations for websites or books that explain the secrets of pawn strategy. A few months ago, Kneecaps made this insightful reply, and it is material like this that I am searching for:

Originally posted by KneeCaps

"The rule of thumb for doubled Pawns is that if there are two united blocks of Pawns opposing each othe uggestions on the position. I am interested in learning more about different pawn situations.
You don't need the doubled Pawns to force a Passed Pawn when the Pawn blocks are offset. I am not sure the doubling makes any difference at all in that case.

I suppose if the doubled Pawns are not side by side it might help a little bit.

Check out Nimzowich's My System. It's an amusing read with quite a bit about Pawn strategy in it.

T

Moves
19 Jul 09

I will look into that, thank you.

Other suggestions?

WS

Moves
19 Jul 09

Other suggestions?
Secrets of pawn endings by Müller and Lamprecht.

Understanding pawn play in chess by Drazen Marovic.

s

Moves
19 Jul 09

Other suggestions?
Rueben Fine: Basic Chess endings

K

Moves
19 Jul 09

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
You don't need the doubled Pawns to force a Passed Pawn when the Pawn blocks are offset. I am not sure the doubling makes any difference at all in that case.

I suppose if the doubled Pawns are not side by side it might help a little bit.

Check out Nimzowich's My System. It's an amusing read with quite a bit about Pawn strategy in it.
Actually my post was not in response to the problem of forcing a passed pawn but rather what to do if you have the choice of which pawns to double.

The advice came from Euwe's Chess Master vs Chess Amateur. A good book that shows common mistakes that amateurs make and how the master takes advantage of those mistakes.

e

Moves
19 Jul 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Winston Smith
Secrets of pawn endings by Müller and Lamprecht.

This one gets my vote, I mean just look at the title of the thread and book.

BUt, really if pawn endings are what you are after imop this is the book