1. USA
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 23:07
    I think so. Chess is like music. It helps in school and lowers teenage pregnancy, crime, etc. It also helps in the development of many outside of classroom skills. If chess had the financial backing music did, then the entire nation would benefit. And, compared to music, chess is low cost. Now masters wouldn't have to scrounge in washington square to make a few bucks. They could become teachers in schools, just like there are music teachers in schools.
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 23:23
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    lowers teenage pregnancy, crime, etc.
    Prove it.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 23:32
    I would like that, but I doubt it would happen.
  4. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 23:39
    Forget it. Chess is a mental disorder.
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 00:08
    Originally posted by Regicidal
    Forget it. Chess is a mental disorder.
    ?
  6. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 00:20
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    ?
    You don't want your children winding up doing this.
    Game 1545832

(still in progress)
  7. Joined
    11 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 00:20
    Chess lowers teen pregnancies...I guess it's because teens who play chess all the time aren't as "socially active"...
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 00:54
    I read somewhere that in lots of elemetaries in the states, chess is one of those subject you have to take, similar to how music used to be when I was in school.

I think it will be mandatory in all schools eventually.
  9. Joined
    15 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 02:38
    Chess doesn't lower teen pregnancy - chess players are less likely to become pregnant because they are unattractive.

And no, the government should not support chess, nor music. Governments ruin everything they touch. Why would chess or music be any different?
  10. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 02:48
    Originally posted by acedwards
    Chess doesn't lower teen pregnancy - chess players are less likely to become pregnant because they are unattractive.
    Finally, a guy with guts telling it like it is!
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 02:521 edit
    I don't know about that. I've seen many beautiful girls play chess and as a bonus, they tend to be smart too. Nice combination 🙂
  12. Under Cover
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 04:23
    More time playing, less learning math, history, science etc... Just what American kids need.
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 05:59
    Actually, it's been shown in various schools to boost academic excellence.
  14. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 06:14
    I think so. Chess is like music. It helps in school and lowers teenage pregnancy, crime, etc. It also helps in the development of many outside of classroom skills. If chess had the financial backing music did, then the entire nation would benefit. And, compared to music, chess is low cost. Now masters wouldn't have to scrounge in washington square to mak ...[text shortened]... ew bucks. They could become teachers in schools, just like there are music teachers in schools.
    Im all for government regulating our activities. Sounds like a great idea, comrade.
  15. Joined
    17 Jun '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 18:27
    I think so. Chess is like music. It helps in school and lowers teenage pregnancy, crime, etc. It also helps in the development of many outside of classroom skills. If chess had the financial backing music did, then the entire nation would benefit. And, compared to music, chess is low cost. Now masters wouldn't have to scrounge in washington square to mak ...[text shortened]... ew bucks. They could become teachers in schools, just like there are music teachers in schools.
    "Lowers teenage pregnancy" I'm sure so does mandatory castration doesn't mean it’s a good thing.

"Chess is like music" Not quite sure why you think this so is your meaning music lowers crime? What about rap?

Also Music can bring enjoyment to many whereas personally I wouldn't be as interested in watching people play chess. I say that as a chess enthusiast and I think people who don't like chess would be less keen.

If one gain of getting chess taught in schools is it gives chess players jobs then you could argue that about any career.

Lastly I would rather play chess in my free time at school rather then in lessons its like the difference between getting told read a book and picking out a book and reading it because it interests you.(I must add I am at sixth form and this involves spending a lot of time at school with no lessons so quite different from normal school)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree