Show me something Sneaky

Show me something Sneaky

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

The Ghost Bishop

Moves
03 Feb 12
2 edits

I ended up drawing this endgame as black. There was a bit of venom left because my opponent had very little time to think. (30 sec. left with 2 sec. incr.). It wasn't until I went back and analyzed my game (which you should do too!) that I realized I had missed a good shot. So in the following position, Show me how you'd play on as black.
(black to move)

Q

t

Moves
03 Feb 12
12 edits

Originally posted by PhySiQ
I ended up drawing this endgame as black. There was a bit of venom left because my opponent had very little time to think. (30 sec. left with 2 sec. incr.). It wasn't until I went back and analyzed my game (which you should do too!) that I realized I had missed a good shot. So in the following position, [b]Show me how you'd play on as black.
(black to move)

[fen]8/r5k1/5p1p/3p1p1K/p1pP1P2/R1P1r1P1/2P2R1P/8 b - - 8 1 [/fen]

Q[/b]
Aha.

I'll pm you my solution and leave a hint here.

As the king you must help even your lowest subjects even if it means traveling far to the west

P

The Ghost Bishop

Moves
03 Feb 12

Originally posted by tomtom232
Aha.

I'll pm you my solution and leave a hint here.

[hidden]As the king you must help even your lowest subjects even if it means traveling far to the west[/hidden]
I like your general idea here. Its more or less what I was thinking although, in the PM I sent you - you'll notice that one tinsy intsy detail may not be 100%.

I'd still do it that way anyway, against time trouble I think white could easily fall.

Q

t

Moves
03 Feb 12
6 edits

I like your general idea here. Its more or less what I was thinking although, in the PM I sent you - you'll notice that one tinsy intsy detail may not be 100%.

I'd still do it that way anyway, against time trouble I think white could easily fall.

Q
You said there is no mate on after the black king leaves f7 but if your king is on e6, e7 or e8 and white takes the h pawn then you move Kf7 and white looks like he can avoid mate but at the cost of a rook.

P

The Ghost Bishop

Moves
03 Feb 12

You said there is no mate on after the black king leaves f7 but if your king is on e6, e7 or e8 and white takes the h pawn then you move Kf7 and white looks like he can avoid mate but at the cost of a rook.

[pgn][FEN "8/r5k1/5p1p/3p1p1K/p1pP1P2/R1P1r1P1/2P2R1P/8 b - - 8 1"]1.Kf7 Rg2 2.Ke7 Rf2 {2...Kxh6 3.Kf7 Kh7 4.Re8-g8 followed by Kf8+} 3.Kd8 {this is ...[text shortened]... hould lose from here... For instance.} Re2+ 7.Kf7 Kh7 8.Kf8+ Kh6 9.Rg7 Re8+ 10.Kxe8 Rxa4[/pgn]
Well done. I'd say that counts as sneaky. 🙂 Its too bad that I missed this opportunity in the game. I accepted the draw as I couldn't find a way out immediately and I didn't think he'd ever take h7. I think there might have been a way to sneak that king over to a5 but I didn't find it. Its an interesting position though none-the-less.

My opponent was in time trouble, so I think I probably could have scraped something off the bottom of the barrel if I was a bit wiser.

Good job Mr. TomTom

Q

t

Moves
03 Feb 12

Well done. I'd say that counts as sneaky. 🙂 Its too bad that I missed this opportunity in the game. I accepted the draw as I couldn't find a way out immediately and I didn't think he'd ever take h7. I think there might have been a way to sneak that king over to a5 but I didn't find it. Its an interesting position though none-the-less.

My opponent wa ...[text shortened]... ed something off the bottom of the barrel if I was a bit wiser.

Good job Mr. TomTom

Q
I'm not sure if you can get to a5 with best play as you said because if white just waits for your king to move one file further then he can safely take the pawn, I think, since if you ever move your rook off of the e file he can grab it and cut your king off from the kingside.

P

The Ghost Bishop

Moves
03 Feb 12

I'm not sure if you can get to a5 with best play as you said because if white just waits for your king to move one file further then he can safely take the pawn, I think, since if you ever move your rook off of the e file he can grab it and cut your king off from the kingside.
That was my thinking in game. That I couldn't cross the e file (even though I controlled it). My later analysis was that threatening h2 might have been able to break something loose, even if I did give up the e file. I think alot has to happen for black to lose here - but a win is only a small error (of whites) away I think.

My opponent played well in our other games, it may very well have been wise to have accepted the draw.

Q

t

Moves
03 Feb 12
2 edits

That was my thinking in game. That I couldn't cross the e file (even though I controlled it). My later analysis was that threatening h2 might have been able to break something loose, even if I did give up the e file. I think alot has to happen for black to lose here - but a win is only a small error (of whites) away I think.

My opponent played well in our other games, it may very well have been wise to have accepted the draw.

Q
I think we can fall back on a platitude. All rook endgames are drawn.

P

The Ghost Bishop

Moves
03 Feb 12

I think we can fall back on a platitude. All rook endgames are drawn.
Rook pawn endings are the prettiest in chess - as far as I am concerned. That sentiment you share for rook endgames is quite a fiery subject. I'm in the Tartakower camp 🙂

I don't think there is any study worth more to a player than rook pawn endings. It teaches so much with so very little. Furthermore these endings may be the lessons which a player may never escape (they are of every degree of complexity).

Q