1. e4: owningthecenter
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 13:45
    I stumbled upon www.beginnersgame.com a while back. This guy claims to have found an opening system that can be played no matter what your opponent does. I did a search on google to get some other’s thoughts and all I got was bashing. I have tried this opening and had about the same success as any other opening. I am not sure why everyone is against this opening. From what I read, people hate it, but no one is showing how it is refuted. I’m not advocating it for the World Championship, but for someone who only plays once in a blue moon and doesn’t have the time to study all the different opening lines, it seems pretty good. I enjoy the games I get out of it. I just wanted to know what RHP has to say about it.
    The author is a loon, but he may be onto something for people what never plan on being above 1800. Besides, from the arguments I’ve seen, no one has shown how it is any weaker than say a Caro-Kahn. I have only seen posts that call it crap, but never say where it is wrong. There is also the one guy saying it is the greatest thing ever and challenging everyone. The post died about 2 years ago. I was curious as to what happened to it and if there is any hard conclusions on it yet.
  2. Joined
    01 Feb '06
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 13:55
    so, what is the opening, given the link just goes to a site advertising the book in that 'miracle cure' format that immediately screams to me 'complete bull'.
  3. e4: owningthecenter
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 14:00
    Basically, it is move b,d,e,g pawns up one space. Fianchetto bishops and put Knights behind d and e pawns. That is the structure in any real move order. The site is hoaky and screams of bull. I'm looking at the opening from the perspective that I don't have the time or desire to read book after book on openings and just want to get a solid foundation where I can play a good, interesting middle game.
  4. Joined
    01 Feb '06
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 14:031 edit
    i don't blame you, i want the same thing 😀. Ah, i noticed that you can read the first 5 chapters for free and they have some example games, will take a closer look

edit:
    here's a link on gameknot where this was 'discussed' with the author:
    http://gameknot.com/fmsg/chess/2400.shtml
  5. e4: owningthecenter
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 14:21
    I read all those "discussions" and they really didn't give me much other than, people call it "crap". Nothing really factual or objective.
  6. London
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 14:35
    Originally posted by Gammastyle
    Basically, it is move b,d,e,g pawns up one space. Fianchetto bishops and put Knights behind d and e pawns. That is the structure in any real move order. The site is hoaky and screams of bull. I'm looking at the opening from the perspective that I don't have the time or desire to read book after book on openings and just want to get a solid foundation where I can play a good, interesting middle game.
    This is the Hippopotamaus then. It's alright. But if you only occupy three rows of the four in your half, you can barely expect to have an advantage or fight for the initiative. Also you leave central pawn structure up to your opponent, whom might therefore be able to cancel out one of your bishops (eg the b2 one if you are white, by c5, e5, d5-d4, etc.) Then that part of the opening is just a waste of time, as the bishop will have to be rellocated via its original square.

I think there is no opening system for black that can be played irresepctive of the opponent's moves - especially against 1.e4. As white, you can pretty much play the Colle against anything (d4, e3, c3, Bd3, Nf3, O-O, Nbd2) etc, or variations upon that theme. The "Boring Systems" they are sometimes known as.
  7. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 14:39

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 14:52
    AS black i think the counter centre you play simply against e4 if that intrests you.

What openings do you play at the moment?
  9. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 14:55
    I've seen it before.Double fianchetto and lots of pawnmoves make for a very slow game.I reckon it's playable but it certainly isn't what Pafu claims it to be.Yet,if you like prophylaxis and passive positions,handing over the initiative and speculating on counter attacks *shiver* this might be the one for you.

Btw,this is no Hippo.The Hippo starts with 1....,Nh6 yet,to my knowledge,in the B-game there is no such move.
  10. e4: owningthecenter
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 15:11
    Originally posted by Gorgar
    I've seen it before.Double fianchetto and lots of pawnmoves make for a very slow game.I reckon it's playable but it certainly isn't what Pafu claims it to be.Yet,if you like prophylaxis and passive positions,handing over the initiative and speculating on counter attacks *shiver* this might be the one for you.

Btw,this is no Hippo.The Hippo starts with 1....,Nh6 yet,to my knowledge,in the B-game there is no such move.
    I don't think it's what Pafu claims either. I just want to know if it will allow someone to get a good game. It is passive, but it does allow for some counterplay. There are some strong breaks also. I don't want to become a master or anything. I just want something I can be comfortable with and not get into too much trouble. My biggest problem is playing openings I don't know. That is why I started with the Caro and QGD openings where I can make very similar moves without getting into trouble. For white I was using d4 into a Torre or Trompowski. I wanted opening that would just get equality because at my level I think that I have an advantage in the middle game. It is getting there that messed me up.
  11. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 15:191 edit
    Originally posted by Gammastyle
    I don't think it's what Pafu claims either. I just want to know if it will allow someone to get a good game. It is passive, but it does allow for some counterplay. There are some strong breaks also. I don't want to become a master or anything. I just want something I can be comfortable with and not get into too much trouble. My biggest problem is pl I think that I have an advantage in the middle game. It is getting there that messed me up.
    Yes I think it will allow you to get a good game.Provided the style of play suits you of course.
    Why don't you simply try it for a month or so?You'll know soon enough 🙂

edit: I do think it's more suited for OTB since you'd pull your oppo into unkown territory and have the element of surprise working for you.In corr chess that is of little value.
  12. Joined
    29 Jun '05
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 15:23
    By playing so many single square pawn moves, either side is almost reverting to chess in it's original form. Also did anyone notice, the messages in http://gameknot.com/fmsg/chess/2400.shtml, date from 2003, and the author was claiming, ”Within 1 year, the system will come to the attention of most serious chess players … , within 2 years chess programs will be playing the system and prove better than any previous generation programs … , within 3 years most players, including some of the world’s best, will be using the system regularly or exclusively ..”. As we are now over half way through 2006, is any further comment needed?
  13. London
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 15:24
    Originally posted by Gorgar
    A case of two different openings called by the same name I believe. Here's an example of the one I'm talkiing about also being called the hippo: http://www.chessville.com/instruction/Openings/Martin/Jan04b.htm
  14. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 15:30
    Originally posted by TommyC
    A case of two different openings called by the same name I believe. Here's an example of the one I'm talkiing about also being called the hippo: http://www.chessville.com/instruction/Openings/Martin/Jan04b.htm
    Hehe,that's funny.I always thought the Hippo was defined by 1...,Nh6.Guess there's more ways to play it,my mistake 🙂

*drowns in the openingnames swamp*
  15. e4: owningthecenter
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 17:332 edits
    Game 2255766
    I think I've solved chess! 😀 I mean c'mon he played perfectly and couldn't stop me!

*EDIT* How do you link games in your posts?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree