Skeeter & greenpawn vs world

Skeeter & greenpawn vs world

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
16 Jan 12

Ooops, I goofed up the quote. What I meant to write was:

Please pardon my ignorance. What sort of "...activities whilst on the site..." indicate machine usage?

Z

Moves
16 Jan 12

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Is 30 seconds with 12 min /16 max depth the standard?
I've always used 30 seconds, max depth 20 ply with Batch Analyzer, both for the benchmark testing & also for suspect analysis.

Z

Moves
16 Jan 12

Originally posted by SmittyTime
Ooops, I goofed up the quote. What I meant to write was:

Please pardon my ignorance. What sort of "...activities whilst on the site..." indicate machine usage?
The order & times people view various pages.
TBH I'm amazed that Russ doesn't have a Page View Log facility. It makes making the final decision to hit the "ban" button that little bit easier.

V

Moves
16 Jan 12

Originally posted by Zygalski
for the benchmark testing
Do you know how many of Kasparov's games were analysed? And what his top 20 matching games were (consecutive and meeting criteria for being eligible)?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Jan 12

Originally posted by Varenka
Do you know how many of Kasparov's games were analysed? And what his top 20 matching games were (consecutive and meeting criteria for being eligible)?
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I did analyze Kramnik-Kasparov and both players were below the 85% threshold for the top 3 matchups (though Kramnik barely so if I remember correctly).

V

Moves
16 Jan 12

Originally posted by no1marauder
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I did analyze Kramnik-Kasparov and both players were below the 85% threshold for the top 3 matchups (though Kramnik barely so if I remember correctly).
To know that Kasparov is incapable of achieving a certain match up rate, don't we need to analyse most/all of his games and look at the figures for every possible consecutive, eligible batch of 20?

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
16 Jan 12
1 edit

To know that Kasparov is incapable of achieving a certain match up rate, don't we need to analyse most/all of his games and look at the figures for every possible consecutive, eligible batch of 20?
The game mods never said "This user is not a cheat". If they ran a batch and it came out borederline, they kept that person in mind and moved on to another player. After some time they would go back and pull another eligible batch of 20 games and check that.

Think of it as a 55 gallon drum of black and white marbles that you can't look inside of. You reach in and pull out a big handful. If about half are white and half are black you've probably got an even mix.

If you reach in and pull out all black marbles you may have a problem. You shake the drum up a bit and reach in again. If they are still all black... you can rest assured something is wrong and there are not enough white marbles in the drum.

You don't need to pull out every marble to know this... but you also have to be careful to check more than once in case you got a fluke batch.

I'm sure you could stumble on 20 games that make Kasparov's numbers seem outrageous... that is why 20 games are pulled and not 3 or 5.

P-

V

Moves
16 Jan 12

You don't need to pull out every marble to know this... but you also have to be careful to check more than once in case you got a fluke batch.

I'm sure you could stumble on 20 games that make Kasparov's numbers seem outrageous... that is why 20 games are pulled and not 3 or 5.
I'm not sure pulling out a few batches of 20 is enough. Suppose we said it wasn't humanly possible for a top GM to win 20 consecutive games against other top GMs, how many batches would you have to pull out of Fischer's hundreds of games to prove that it *is* possible?

Remember, we're not trying to figure out Kasparov's typical or average match up rate. We're trying to find out what is humanly possible at the extreme.

(By-the-way, I've yet to read of an RHP banning that I didn't agree with, so I'm not trying to defend anyone here.)

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
16 Jan 12

I'm not sure pulling out a few batches of 20 is enough. Suppose we said it wasn't humanly possible for a top GM to win 20 consecutive games against other top GMs, how many batches would you have to pull out of Fischer's hundreds of games to prove that it *is* possible?

Remember, we're not trying to figure out Kasparov's typical or average match up rate. ...[text shortened]... d of an RHP banning that I didn't agree with, so I'm not trying to defend anyone here.)
Than yes, you need to run them all if you are trying to prove Kasparov couldn't do it. I was thinking backwards where when we ran a batch and the numbers were crazy high we ran another batch to be sure it wasn't a fluke.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Jan 12
1 edit

Remember, we're not trying to figure out Kasparov's typical or average match up rate. d of an RHP banning that I didn't agree with, so I'm not trying to defend anyone here.)
There's no certainties in life. Saying we shouldn't do something because there is an extremely remote possibility that the action might be wrong leads to paralysis.

It's called "beyond reasonable" doubt - not "beyond any and all, taking into account infinitesimal possibilities" doubt.

V

Moves
16 Jan 12

It's called "beyond [b]reasonable" doubt[/b]
I'm realistic about what's possible. Just clarifying the limitations.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
16 Jan 12

I'm realistic about what's possible. Just clarifying the limitations.
It's possible there is a zebra in my parking lot right now... but hardly worth checking.

Moves
16 Jan 12

There's no certainties in life.
Yes there is. Would you like a list?

Moves
16 Jan 12

It's possible there is a zebra in my parking lot right now... but hardly worth checking.
I bet you checked after typing that 😛

V

Moves
16 Jan 12

Originally posted by Trev33
I bet you checked after typing that 😛
After seeing some of the players who get to the top on here, I've started checking my parking lot for zebras.