Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    24 Feb '06 22:15
    Does either player have an advantage here? (the position come from an OTB game played last week)

    White to move (Does this matter?)

  2. 24 Feb '06 23:10
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Does either player have an advantage here? (the position come from an OTB game played last week)

    White to move (Does this matter?)

    [fen]r4k2/4npp1/p2Rp2p/1p6/8/4P3/PP1N1PPP/5K2 w - - 0 29[/fen]
    I think white has an advantage over here. His king can come into the game very easily, compared to black's king who is blocked from the e-file. The white rook also pressures the a pawn for now and the black rook is stuck defending.

    It doesn't really matter which side moves first. If black moves first then I would say play a5 and try to exchange off the queenside pawns and make the rook active.

    But since it's white to move, bring the king in.

    Is your tourney over? How are you doing so far?
  3. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    24 Feb '06 23:15
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Is your tourney over? How are you doing so far?
    I lost this game as well as my game last night. Finished with an even score and my rating went up 5 points.


    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    Is this a test or are you just asking for opinions?

    I'm asking for opinions backed up with analysis, and I'll post my own views in due time. It's as much a test for me as for anyone else.
  4. 25 Feb '06 00:59
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I lost this game as well as my game last night. Finished with an even score and my rating went up 5 points.


    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    [b]Is this a test or are you just asking for opinions?


    I'm asking for opinions backed up with analysis, and I'll post my own views in due time. It's as much a test for me as for anyone else.[/b]
    2.5/5?

    Well at least your rating went up.

    Which color did you have in this position? I'm guessing Black?

    I just really really think that the Black king not being able to come into the game because of the white's rooks position controlling the e-file should give white a big advantage here. By the time the Black's king get through, the white king could be very advanced.
  5. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    25 Feb '06 01:04
    Originally posted by RahimK
    2.5/5?
    It was the draw that hurt, as I am rated much higher. The two losses were against the top two players, 396 and 347 higher than me in rating.

    I was black and my opponent was the top seed, and eventual winner.
  6. Standard member Kirwan
    Mel Kirwan
    25 Feb '06 08:40
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    It was the draw that hurt, as I am rated much higher. The two losses were against the top two players, 396 and 347 higher than me in rating.

    I was black and my opponent was the top seed, and eventual winner.
    I would concur white is marginally better. But should be drawn with best play.
  7. 25 Feb '06 08:52
    Originally posted by Kirwan
    I would concur white is marginally better. But should be drawn with best play.
    yes the important question isn't if White is better - but if the advantage is significant enough to claim a win (assuming neither player makes n00b errors)


    I dont think it is - mind you, I play Endgames like a Complete moron.....I have to settle for draws in K+B+K vs K endings........luckily though, thats only ever happened twice.
  8. 25 Feb '06 09:05 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I lost this game as well as my game last night. Finished with an even score and my rating went up 5 points.


    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    [b]Is this a test or are you just asking for opinions?


    I'm asking for opinions backed up with analysis, and I'll post my own views in due time. It's as much a test for me as for anyone else.[/b]
    Hm...I'm not so sure now. Ke2 Nc8! Nc8 looks like a great move to me, after that the rook has to go somewhere, and Black can get his king into the game if the rook moves along the rank to keep the pressure on the a pawn and if he moves down the file prevent the king from crossing the e file, then there is no pressure on the a pawn and the black rook is free to come into the game.

    I'm going to change my mind and say it's a draw.
  9. Standard member Kirwan
    Mel Kirwan
    25 Feb '06 09:13
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Hm...I'm not so sure now. Ke2 Nc8! Nc8 looks like a great move to me, after that the rook has to go somewhere, and Black can get his king into the game if the rook moves along the rank to keep the pressure on the a pawn and if he moves down the file prevent the king from crossing the e file, then there is no pressure on the a pawn and the black rook is free to come into the game.

    I'm going to change my mind and say it's a draw.
    Nc8. Then even Rd8+ and Rg8 to follow don't seem to go anywhere.

    Still a draw
  10. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    25 Feb '06 14:57
    White's pieces (rook, king, and knight) are all more active than their black counterparts. White, thus, has a slight but substantial edge.

    In the game, white maneuvered his knight over to the queenside, exchanged a set of pawns there (inducing another slight weakness in black's position), and then brought the knight into the center, where in combination with the rook, it put black's king and pawns in danger.
  11. 25 Feb '06 16:42
    I think Ne4 Nc7 Rd7 Ke8 Rc7 is slightly better for white.
  12. Standard member Kirwan
    Mel Kirwan
    25 Feb '06 18:59
    I dont think it is - mind you, I play Endgames like a Complete moron.....I have to settle for draws in K+B+K vs K endings........luckily though, thats only ever happened twice.[/b]
    How do you end up with K+B+K v K - or am I misreading your post?
    Sorry if I'm being a bit dim
  13. Standard member Kirwan
    Mel Kirwan
    25 Feb '06 19:03
    Originally posted by Testrider
    I think Ne4 Nc7 Rd7 Ke8 Rc7 is slightly better for white.
    After Ne4 isn't Nd5 a better reply for black?
  14. Standard member buffalobill
    Major Bone
    25 Feb '06 19:26
    It looks pretty dead even from here. 1. Ke2 is the most logical and 1. ... Nd5 the next. The Black king then centralises and chases the white rook which has to retreat. If anything, I'd suggest that black has marginally the better game, but I'd say a draw would be fair.
  15. 25 Feb '06 20:39
    Originally posted by Kirwan
    Nc8. Then even Rd8+ and Rg8 to follow don't seem to go anywhere.

    Still a draw
    Man, I should stop posting past midnight. Your right agian.

    Ke2 Ke8 and then Nc8 prevents that stuff. But ya Nc8 isn't a great move and Ke8 and then Ke7 wastes a move.

    So Ke2 knight move for black then Ke7.