1. Sandwich Land
    Moves
    04 Apr '06 23:57
    Ok I am going for some new books off amazon and I cant decide on what to get! Some people say a book is classic and then some say its a hard read. Well for a 1300ish player trying to beat 1500, what should i pick? I have Serawins endgame book, his opening book, Silmans Reassess your Chess and some tactical books.

Im assuming it should be middle game books I need so can people please recommend some to me?
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 00:57
    Tal's account of his World Championship match with Botvinnik is worth getting. Think about a book on the endgame as an alternative to another book on tactics - one really is enough.
  3. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 03:57
    Check out the thread, "must have chess books."
  4. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 12:18
    my 2c:
    A good endgame reference is invaluable (I've never seen the one you have so I have no idea of it's quality). After that I would pick up Zurich 1953 by Bronstein and play through the games (I hope you like the kings indian).

Other books may be better, but I have not read them...
  5. Joined
    31 Mar '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 14:02
  6. The sky
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 14:10
    Originally posted by Caro Kann
    I have Serawins endgame book, his opening book, Silmans Reassess your Chess and some tactical books.
    Sounds like you have enough work for a while... Or have you worked through all of those already?
  7. Sandwich Land
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 14:42
    Ive done them already
  8. Joined
    14 Jun '05
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 15:29
    Ok I am going for some new books off amazon and I cant decide on what to get! Some people say a book is classic and then some say its a hard read. Well for a 1300ish player trying to beat 1500, what should i pick? I have Serawins endgame book, his opening book, Silmans Reassess your Chess and some tactical books.

Im assuming it should be middle game books I need so can people please recommend some to me?
    why do you say you're 1300ish when your rhp rating is 1600ish? i've found a couple good books just recently but they're for juniors so i can't help you. just wondering about the ratings stuff; what it all means ..
  9. Sandwich Land
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 15:47
    Originally posted by Famous G
    why do you say you're 1300ish when your rhp rating is 1600ish? i've found a couple good books just recently but they're for juniors so i can't help you. just wondering about the ratings stuff; what it all means ..
    because 1300 is my OTB grade
  10. Joined
    14 Jun '05
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 15:50
    because 1300 is my OTB grade
    what's OTB ?
  11. Sandwich Land
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 16:01
    Originally posted by Famous G
    what's OTB ?
    Over the board, real chess
  12. Standard memberActius
    Bad Looser
    Here
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 16:12
    Schiller, Eric; "Complete Defense to King Pawn Openings"; a must have for Carro Kahn players. Analyzes the C-K and proposes sound methods for black against all white attacking methods: Classical, Panov-Botvinik, etc.

Polgar, Laslo; "5334 Problems Comginations and Games"; teaches mating patterns and endgames too. Very useful. A huge collection of 1, 2, and 3 move mates; designed to improve your OTB vision.

Mueller and Lamprecht; "Fundamental Chess Endings"; a very well organized easy to use endgame book.
  13. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 16:15
    Originally posted by Actius
    Schiller, Eric; "Complete Defense to King Pawn Openings"; a must have for Carro Kahn players. Analyzes the C-K and proposes sound methods for black against all white attacking methods: Classical, Panov-Botvinik, etc.

Polgar, Laslo; "5334 Problems Comginations and Games"; teaches mating patterns and endgames too. Very useful. A huge collection of 1, 2, ...[text shortened]... nd Lamprecht; "Fundamental Chess Endings"; a very well organized easy to use endgame book.
    Mate isn't everything. Skip the Polgar book and get a real tactics book which has both mates and win material combinations.

P.S. There is no defense to the Panov attack =)
  14. Standard memberActius
    Bad Looser
    Here
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 16:41
    Originally posted by zebano
    [b]Mate isn't everything. Skip the Polgar book and get a real tactics book which has both mates and win material combinations.
    Must disagree! Mate is everything 😉

But your point is well taken, for mixed combinations I like a computer program called CT-Art 3.0. Has about 1200 graduated combinations. Starts with two-three movers and goes up from there.

Cheers!
  15. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 18:30
    Originally posted by Actius

Polgar, Laslo; "5334 Problems Comginations and Games"; teaches mating patterns and endgames too. Very useful. A huge collection of 1, 2, ...[text shortened]... nd Lamprecht; "Fundamental Chess Endings"; a very well organized easy to use endgame book.
    Polgar's book is good, but something like Reinfeld's 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations will prove more practical.

Avoid anything by Schiller.

Muller and Lamprecht is an excellent endgame book. One of the best published in the past few years. While struggling through Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual I often turn to it and find the explanations useful. Dvoretsky has better problems and exercises, but Muller and Lamprecht's explanations are sometimes helpful supplements.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree