So Who Taught Morphy?

So Who Taught Morphy?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STS

Moves
27 May 09

Originally posted by Goshen
He was a failure as a lawyer cos everyone knew him as a chessplayer. analogy with kasparov trying to be prez
From the Oxford Chess Companion:

"Morphy attemped twice to set up a law practice, but his unpopular decision not to side with the Confederacy during the civil war, the shattered economy of the south afterwards, and his general laziness all doomed any chance of his success at law."

j

Moves
27 May 09

Ok ill let u all in on a secret. I am the one who taught Morphy how to play extraordinary chess.
If you dont believe me check it out in wikipedia.

IC

Moves
28 May 09

I thought I read somewhere that he was taught by an uncle, who was a decent player.
But don't quote me on that please.

t

Moves
28 May 09

Originally posted by jman566
Ok ill let u all in on a secret. I am the one who taught Morphy how to play extraordinary chess.
If you dont believe me check it out in wikipedia.
Linx please. 😛

G

Lagos

Moves
28 May 09

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
From the Oxford Chess Companion:

"Morphy attemped twice to set up a law practice, but his unpopular decision not to side with the Confederacy during the civil war, the shattered economy of the south afterwards, and his general laziness all doomed any chance of his success at law."
But I also read somewhere it was bcos he was too well known as a chessplayer. Maybe in Reinfeilds Treasury of Chess Lore

j

Moves
28 May 09

Originally posted by Ice Cold
I thought I read somewhere that he was taught by an uncle, who was a decent player.
But don't quote me on that please.
i am his uncle

STS

Moves
28 May 09

Originally posted by Goshen
But I also read somewhere it was bcos he was too well known as a chessplayer. Maybe in Reinfeilds Treasury of Chess Lore
Yeah Morphy's uncle was a strong chessplayer, seems like I read that he developed the Morphy Gambit, which later came to be called the Morra Gambit, but I could be wrong.

IC

Moves
28 May 09

i am his uncle
I asked you not to quote me, I even said please, asshat.

R

Moves
28 May 09
1 edit

In part Morphy learned from previous generations.

de La Bourdonnais-McDonnell,London Match-1,game 2,1834
Black to move:

McDonnel played 5....,d3 a move which Morphy praised in the New York Ledger on Saturday,August 13,1859: "It effectually prevents the formation of centre pawns by his adversary,and in a measure restrains the action of the White pieces on the queen's side." - Morphy.

Note the similarity between the next two games.

McDonnell-de La Bourdonnais,London Match-1,game 24,1834

Schulten-Morphy,New York,offhand game,1857

Source: Paul Morphy,a modern perspective - Valeri Beim.

As for Morphy's supremacy I would like to refer to Beim once more.From his introduction to the same book: "Thus I found myself reviewing Morphy's most significant games and found,somewhat surprisingly,that they were hard fought battles with chances for both sides.His opponents were not always lambs for the slaughter - not by a long shot!"

e4

Moves
28 May 09

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
Yeah Morphy's uncle was a strong chessplayer, seems like I read that he developed the Morphy Gambit, which later came to be called the Morra Gambit, but I could be wrong.
🙂

That would bea good name for a an opening.

Morphy's Uncle's Gambit.

A lot of my opening ideas I got from Morphy's Dustbin.

j

Moves
28 May 09

Originally posted by Ice Cold
I asked you not to quote me, I even said please, asshat.
You said "I thought I read somewhere that he was taught by an uncle, who was a decent player.
But don't quote me on that please".

Second of all I said I was his uncle. I never once said did i teach him.

Third of all you going to insult me please come up with something better than asshat. A five year old little girl could do better.

R

Moves
28 May 09

You said "I thought I read somewhere that he was taught by an uncle, who was a decent player.
But don't quote me on that please".

Second of all I said I was his uncle. I never once said did i teach him.

Third of all you going to insult me please come up with something better than asshat. A five year old little girl could do better.
Your birth certificate is an apology from the condom factory.

😀

rc

Moves
28 May 09

Originally posted by Romanticus
In part Morphy learned from previous generations.

de La Bourdonnais-McDonnell,London Match-1,game 2,1834
Black to move:
[fen]r1b1kbnr/pppp1ppp/2n2q2/8/2BpP3/2P2N2/PP3PPP/RNBQK2R b[/fen]

McDonnel played 5....,d3 a move which Morphy praised in the New York Ledger on Saturday,August 13,1859: "It effectually prevents the formation of centre pawns by h ...[text shortened]... always lambs for the slaughter - not by a long shot!"
look at the positional and strategic ideas in this game Romanticus, they are way ahead of their time,

6..e3! a beautiful pawn sacrifice, which leads to an advantage in development and an open e file.

11...c6!, undermining the d5 pawn and opening the queens file which will facilitate and magnify his lead in development.

13...Rxe2! the man is a genius!

R

Moves
28 May 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
look at the positional and strategic ideas in this game Romanticus, they are way ahead of their time,

6..e3! a beautiful pawn sacrifice, which leads to an advantage in development and an open e file.

11...c6!, undermining the d5 pawn and opening the queens file which will facilitate and magnify his lead in development.

13...Rxe2! the man is a genius!
I think the point Beim is making is that McDonnell and de La Bourdonnais had these ideas before Morphy.He most likely picked it up from their games.Therefore it's not way ahead of Morphy's time.

It doesn't mean he's any less of a genius though.

rc

Moves
28 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Romanticus
I think the point Beim is making is that McDonnell and de La Bourdonnais had these ideas before Morphy.He most likely picked it up from their games.Therefore it's not way ahead of Morphy's time.

It doesn't mean he's any less of a genius though.
i kind of get the feeling that Morphy's contemporaries were not so fully aware of what they were doing, for while the moves as in ...d3 are similar, they seem to still be attacking simply for attacking sake, and not with any type of positional sense, and certainly not with an overall strategic plan in view. i could be wrong though, for it is of interest and noteworthy that Reti himself states, that Morphy was the first, truly positional player.