1. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 17:20
    Originally posted by Spacetime
    I have to confess, I don't really know what a Socratic Seminar is...
    it's all about dialogue, nude wrestling and loving young boys.
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 18:40
    Originally posted by ckoh1965
    Yes, I've heard of it. My wife read widely on it when she was pursuing her law degree years ago. Said it could help with her jurisprudence papers. Something about philosopher if I'm not wrong. But what has that got to do with this thread?
    Socrates is a character in the fictions of Plato; he invented Socratic dialogue.
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 19:23
    Well, I'm just picking one of my games on here, game ID 2355275. But perhaps this isn't really a good example, because in the end both still had a knight each. But what I'm trying to say is that the bishop in the particular game is a 'bad' bishop because it is blocked in by its own pawns, and therefore of little use. I'll try to find other games (not neccesarily my own game) to illustrate a knight stronger than a bishop.
    Game 2355275
  4. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '06 02:19
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Socrates is a character in the fictions of Plato; he invented Socratic dialogue.
    Oh well, it seems I heard wrongly... hehehehe. Never been an avid reader anyway. But OK, so how's that connected with this thread?
  5. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '06 02:21
    Originally posted by wormwood
    it's all about dialogue, nude wrestling and loving young boys.
    LOL... it seems you are even further away from the correct answer than me. Must have been a wrong book you've read?
  6. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '06 02:23
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Game 2355275
    Thx. cmsMaster. I'm quite new on here and never before tried to paste a link on here. In fact I don't know how to do it. What I've done was to go through my games archive and then copy the Game ID nos. Then came back here and pasted it. Somehow it didn't emerge as a link, I don't know. Well, now that you've helped me do it, I guess there is no need for me to find out huh?.... hehehehe.
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '06 03:161 edit
    Originally posted by whirlpool
    How about, if you are rated less than 1800 there is no difference?
    I don't give a #?!!* what you think and I don't care about learning about bishops over knights I just wanted to here what intelligent people think the subject.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '06 03:25
    Oh well, it seems I heard wrongly... hehehehe. Never been an avid reader anyway. But OK, so how's that connected with this thread?
    because in a socratic seminar everyone gives their thought for a deeper understanding for everyone.
  9. Standard memberwhirlpool
    absolute beginner
    inside
    Moves
    07 Oct '06 03:31
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I don't give a #?!!* what you think and I don't care about learning about bishops over knights I just wanted to here what intelligent people think the subject.
    ¿que?

It was meant as a real thought. The difference is subtle and really presents itself in games of higher rated players.

"I don't give a #?!!* what you think" Then why did you start the thread?

Why be rude? I was just trying to contribute.
  10. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '06 03:57
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    because in a socratic seminar everyone gives their thought for a deeper understanding for everyone.
    Oh I see... OK thx... now I'm happy. English is not my first language, you see. At least I've learned something new today!
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    07 Oct '06 04:37
    Oh I see... OK thx... now I'm happy. English is not my first language, you see. At least I've learned something new today!
    *sigh*

English did not exist in the time of Socrates.

Socrates was a lover of wisdom (philosopher). He taught his students through a questioning process that has come to be known as the Socratic method. It is the dominant teaching technique in law schools, and is used in other places.

Socrates and his students expressed fondness for the nubile bodies of young men.

Plato's dialogues are the most extensive record of his life and teachings. In Plato's record Socrates condemns writing and representation, raising questions about the veracity of Plato as a student of Socrates. Thus, the historic character Socrates is best known through texts than in their content challenge the possibility of truth in such a structure. That's why I called him a fictional character.

Plato's dialogues were written in Greek and have been translated into most major languages.

Socrates own writings, especially those concerning the relative strengths of the bishop and knight, remain undiscovered. Many reasonable people that have examined the evidence dispute that they ever existed.
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '06 01:50
    Originally posted by whirlpool
    ¿que?

It was meant as a real thought. The difference is subtle and really presents itself in games of higher rated players.

"I don't give a #?!!* what you think" Then why did you start the thread?

Why be rude? I was just trying to contribute.
    because I don't like to waste time with people like him ruining a good thread.
  13. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '06 04:05
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    *sigh*

English did not exist in the time of Socrates.

Socrates was a lover of wisdom (philosopher). He taught his students through a questioning process that has come to be known as the Socratic method. It is the dominant teaching technique in law schools, and is used in other places.

Socrates and his students expressed fondness for the nubile bodie ...[text shortened]... ered. Many reasonable people that have examined the evidence dispute that they ever existed.
    I must admit that languages and philosophy are not my strength. I am trained in the property valuation and consultancy profession. The only time that I did read up a bit on socrates was when my wife was reading it. And it was a translated version (into) English. It was some years ago, and I only read that part about how he tried to argue that we were borne with knowledge, but that we have somehow 'forgotten' it... or something like that. He went on to prove his argument with asking some mathematical questions to a lay person.... in fact, I thought common sense questions. I wasn't impressed with his arguments though. That's how little I can remember, and I'm not even sure if the details of my memory are accurate as well. But thanks for the information anyway.
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '06 04:08
    Thx. cmsMaster. I'm quite new on here and never before tried to paste a link on here. In fact I don't know how to do it. What I've done was to go through my games archive and then copy the Game ID nos. Then came back here and pasted it. Somehow it didn't emerge as a link, I don't know. Well, now that you've helped me do it, I guess there is no need for me to find out huh?.... hehehehe.
    Two ways. One, copy the ID like you did, then in the post type in [gid*]*Type the ID here*[/gid*] and exclude the asterisks. And I think at the bottom there's a link that says "Post a link to game" and you can click that and paste the ID in.
  15. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '06 04:15
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Two ways. One, copy the ID like you did, then in the post type in [gid*]*Type the ID here*[/gid*] and exclude the asterisks. And I think at the bottom there's a link that says "Post a link to game" and you can click that and paste the ID in.
    thx cmsMaster, the next time I need to post a game on here, I'll try it out that way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree