Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 07 Dec '06 23:20
    Most chess books are so damn dry, I can't get thru them, does anyone have any suggestions on something a touch more upbeat?
  2. 07 Dec '06 23:25
    Originally posted by kwjoe
    Most chess books are so damn dry, I can't get thru them, does anyone have any suggestions on something a touch more upbeat?
    Entertaining and instructional chess books:

"Chess for Dummies" -Eade
    "Guide to Good Chess" - Purdy
    "Chess the Easy Way"- Fine
    "Mastering Chess" - Kopec, et. al.
  3. 07 Dec '06 23:36
    How to cheat at chess by Bill Hartston is great.

Chess for Tigers by the late Simon Webb is also well worth getting.
  4. Subscriber Marinkatombonline
    wotagr8game
    07 Dec '06 23:37
    I enjoyed 'How to play the middle game in chess' by Paul Keres. It is good as it uses whole games, rather than just jumping in at a specific position. Do a game at a time, it's entertaining and educational.
  5. 07 Dec '06 23:46 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Entertaining and instructional chess books:

"Chess for Dummies" -Eade
    "Guide to Good Chess" - Purdy
    "Chess the Easy Way"- Fine
    "Mastering Chess" - Kopec, et. al.
    I forgot to mention Irving Chernev's classic, "Logical Chess: Move by Move."
  6. 07 Dec '06 23:51
    I found that too but then I started to think of chess books to "study" rather than to read. That way it bothers me less that I'm still on the first chapter after a month.
  7. 08 Dec '06 01:59
    "Analysis of the Game of Chess"

by F.A.D. Philidor, 1790 edition

Best of all, it's free.

http://books.google.com/books?vid=OCLC20429368&id=d2jnqeVdIdQC&pg=RA1-PR9&lpg=RA1-PR9&dq=analysis+game+of+chess#PPP6,M1
  8. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    08 Dec '06 02:24
    you might want to try dvds. for me they work a lot better.
  9. 08 Dec '06 02:26
    Improve Your Chess Now, by Tisdall.
  10. Donation briancron
    nunquam perdo
    08 Dec '06 02:28
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    Improve Your Chess Now, by Tisdall.
    I just got that book. Is there a PGN companion for that it?

All I need to buy now is time to read it.
  11. 08 Dec '06 02:38
    Originally posted by briancron
    I just got that book. Is there a PGN companion for that it?

All I need to buy now is time to read it.
    I havent seen a pgn for it. One of the best chess books iv ever read though
  12. 08 Dec '06 13:11 / 3 edits
    Yeah just reading people explainging stuff can get kinda boring, sometimes. Maybe if you tried a puzzle book. that way you'd be actively engaged in it; trying to solve it's puzzles and stuff. This also really helps in learning tactics.
    Reinfeld's "One Thousand and One Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations" & "1001 Brilliant ways to checkmate" are good.
    If you want a reading book too, though. I like Silman's "How to Reassess your chess" & "The Amateur's Mind".
    Good luck!

-- Paul (Pavlo87)
  13. 08 Dec '06 21:23
    Chess books? All Seven Books of GM Lev ALburt's and GM Sam Palatnik's Comprehensive Chess Course Series. Great reading and you can make master with full dedication.
  14. 08 Dec '06 21:45
    I would recommend Garry Kasparov's My Great Predecessors series. I have many other books but these are probably the best and easiest to follow in my opinion.