1. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 00:01
    No, even I could draw that position, probably while drunk.
    The point that everybody seems to be missing is that this was a 1 minute blitz game where mistakes come thick and fast - anybody can drop a pawn or even a piece without thinking and black was already two pawns up so why would he assume that it going to be the last of whites mistakes - much better to check and be sure, what did he have to lose?
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 04:261 edit
    Originally posted by Korch
    I had bullet game with time increasment (1 min + 1 sec per move) against Bulgarian GM Petar Genov. At the beginning it was quite interesting games in which I evaluation changed quite often (in one moment i missed win - in other moment the same was done by my opponent) but finally I had to save in endgame. and in dead draw endgame even without possibility to dr Be4 Kh4 144. Ba8 Kg5 145. Be4 Kf6 146. Kc2 Ke5 147. Kb3 1/2-1/2
    [/pgn]
    It's BULLET chess!!! He didn't break any rule, he didn't harrass you, he's a pawn up, and he probably out-rates you at blitz. If I was as good as you are, I'd probably be annoyed to, but I don't think I'd start a thread about it. I don't think your opponent was being a jerk. I agree with Tyrannosauruschex on this one. (Hmmm, I don't think I've ever agreed with him before now. 🙂)
  3. washington
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 05:13
    with a deadlocked position and only blacks king moving and whites bishop its hard to see where a mistake was going to come from. Hes complaining because it was obvious that neither side was going to win in any case. it was 1/1 so time will not run out.
  4. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 06:14
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    So if it is YOU offering multiple draws in a game then your opponent is the one in the wrong?
    Actually I did offer draw only once. So your remark is absurd.
  5. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 06:163 edits
    Yeah but 1/1 blitz is all about timing people out - there should never be a complaint of an opponent trying to do that.

Plus, being two pawns up is still a big advantage, even if white was able to hold the line it would have only taken a small slip somewhere for black to win.
    If decent bullet player has pre-move option (like in Playchess) and elementar moves to make then move can be made in less than second - its impossible to time out. And actually it was my opponent who had less time.
  6. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 06:181 edit
    It is not forced though - there is still a chance of a win if white does not defend accurately, the draw needs to be proven- and at a very high speed where mistakes can be made.

If somebody were to make a claim under the less then two minutes rule they would have to hope the arbiter was feeling in a good mood, cause it could still go 50:50 even then.
    Its not forced, but as you can see in 1/1 time control it was not possible to overplay or time out any more or less decent player.
  7. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 06:59
    Originally posted by kmac27
    with a deadlocked position and only blacks king moving and whites bishop its hard to see where a mistake was going to come from. Hes complaining because it was obvious that neither side was going to win in any case. it was 1/1 so time will not run out.
    Exactly.
  8. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 07:001 edit
    I dont need your questions - who do you think you are? Jeremy Paxman on newsnight?
    There were obviously draw offers made in the game, it is implied by the way Korch is so upset about it.
    You failed (again).
  9. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 07:061 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I'm not to sure about this one Korch.

The GM's and IM's I know hate losing/drawing even at blitz.

If I skin one game out of ten against them they are furious
    and the pieces are re-set before you can say 'well played'.

It's part of a GM's make up to keep squeezing and squeezing and
    squeezing till there is absolutely nothing left in the position ...[text shortened]... 's why they are GM's.

Looks like you held your nerve and passed the test. Well done.
    That`s the reason why I lack respect to most titled players I know.
  10. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 08:031 edit
    I agree that this is not fair play, but I also think that he cannot be called jerk as long he is in the rules, in the boundaries...
    it is the player right to play on and as long you want to play that way and the rules allow you it is fine to play on...maybe you hope that your opponent will lose patience, or faint, or die, or go crazy and move something wrong...

All titled players have a very strong will to win, this is what it brought them at their level, you can't study and work so much on chess without this strong desire...
  11. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 08:10
    Originally posted by vipiu
    I agree that this is not fair play, but I also think that he cannot be called jerk as long he is in the rules, in the boundaries...
    it is the player right to play on and as long you want to play that way and the rules allow you it is fine to play on...maybe you hope that your opponent will lose patience, or faint, or die, or go crazy and move something wrong. ...[text shortened]... ht them at their level, you can't study and work so much on chess without this strong desire...
    I tend to agree that "Jerk" was too strong, but this thread was created in emotions - few minutes after game was finished.
  12. e4
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 11:54
    I tend to agree that "Jerk" was too strong, but this thread was created in emotions - few minutes after game was finished.
    Ahh the emotional thread...

I've been there both here and on other forums.

Count to 10. No count to 20, slowly.

I bet everyone on here has posted something they wish hadn't.

If your opponent does not want to stop playing and can legally
    continue. Then there is nothing you can do but continue.

It's a ploy used by the sneaky one's to upset players in clear drawn positions.
    It someitmes works when one player feels offended and does
    something rash just '..to show him it's a draw.'

I got caught with it once OTB (I'll post exact position later).

As I said, although you were fuming inside you passed the test.
  13. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 12:11
    Its not forced, but as you can see in 1/1 time control it was not possible to overplay or time out any more or less decent player.
    I dont know, what if he had managed some sort of sneaky check and you had the pre move set to move your bishop - it would cost you seconds to realise you couldnt move that piece and move your hand accross to get the king.
    Also, he could have moved one of those pawns forward while you were making pre moves and you would not have been able to stop it after you let the piece go.

These are juse a couple of little tricks that I have come accross in high speed chess.
  14. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 12:144 edits
    I dont know, what if he had managed some sort of sneaky check and you had the pre move set to move your bishop - it would cost you seconds to realise you couldnt move that piece and move your hand accross to get the king.
    Also, he could have moved one of those pawns forward while you were making pre moves and you would not have been able to stop ...[text shortened]... e go.

These are juse a couple of little tricks that I have come accross in high speed chess.
    I know these pre-move tricks - that`s the reason why my bishop and king pre-moves were useful independently of my opponents move.
    for example moving my bishop to g4-h5 white my king was on b3 and opponents king was on opposed side of board (opposed to my bishop).
  15. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 13:59
    I had bullet game with time increasment (1 min + 1 sec per move) against Bulgarian GM Petar Genov. At the beginning it was quite interesting games in which I evaluation changed quite often (in one moment i missed win - in other moment the same was done by my opponent) but finally I had to save in endgame. and in dead draw endgame even without possibility to dr ...[text shortened]... Be4 Kh4 144. Ba8 Kg5 145. Be4 Kf6 146. Kc2 Ke5 147. Kb3 1/2-1/2
    [/pgn]
    Does this make you the new Wizard Of Riga?
    😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree