1. Philadelphia
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 02:00
    Hi everyone,

Quick question - are there any general principles or theories about how to capitalize on a space advantage? I find in a few of my games that I get a space advantage, my opponent's position is really cramped, but i can't work out how to force a win and I either run out of steam and settle for a draw or my position implodes with a stupid mistake. Are there any games worth looking at that illustrate how to win with a big space advantage?
  2. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 02:13
    Often if you've got a space advantage you will have more room to manoeuvre. So it will be easier to switch the point of attack from one side to another.

Try not to exchange pieces off unless you get a tangible advantage from is as this aides the cramped player
  3. e4
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 02:59
    Hi Double G

Best to post an example of where you think you had a space advantage
    and could not use it or failed to use it.

Then one of the lads will advise of a different way to play it and may come up
    with a game with a similiar position to show how it should done.

If it can. Sometimes space is not enough. You need a weakness. Ideally two.

The advice about avoiding exchanging is absolutely correct.
    However it's not set in concrete. You may have to chop a key defensive piece
    or pieces to get your remaining men to work on or create a weakness.
  4. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 10:461 edit
    Try not to exchange pieces off unless you get a tangible advantage from is as this aides the cramped player[/b]
    Maybe I should not post when I'm drunk:-

Try not to exchange pieces off unless you get a tangible advantage from **IT** as this aides the cramped player. As GP states sometimes you have to exchange to create the weaknesses which you will exploit.
  5. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 11:09
    "i can't work out how to force a win and I either run out of steam and settle for a draw or my position implodes with a stupid mistake"

I think patience is the key. Also, please try to avoid "stupid mistake". Another peice of advice (IMHO) is to be very careful of making pawn moves that you wish you could take back - manuver with pieces - from one side to another probing for weaknesses. If you think it is difficult trying to win a position where you have a spacial advantage just remind yourself that it is much, much better than defending such a position. Also, it is a lot harder to defend such a position in OTB chess.
    I have an ongoing game (please no comments) where I am defending such a position - made a slight mistake (overestimated my defensive possibilities) and therefore I must suffer - feels like I'm in purgatory! There is also another glaring weakness in said game but it would not be as bad if I had some counterplay.
  6. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 16:22
    Originally posted by kbear1k
    "i can't work out how to force a win and I either run out of steam and settle for a draw or my position implodes with a stupid mistake"

I think patience is the key. Also, please try to avoid "stupid mistake". Another peice of advice (IMHO) is to be very careful of making pawn moves that you wish you could take back - manuver with pieces - from one side to ...[text shortened]... nother glaring weakness in said game but it would not be as bad if I had some counterplay.
    Maybe WHEN YOU'VE FINISHED the said game you could post it here with some analysis to illustrate the points
  7. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 01:32
    Originally posted by kingshill
    Maybe WHEN YOU'VE FINISHED the said game you could post it here with some analysis to illustrate the points
    OK - will do it would be fun - I'd hope my opponent could also contribute. I'm not sure how long I can hold on. I'd also like to add a bit about trusting "book" evaluations without first really studying the line to see if it suits your style. I've known of errors in the origional ECOs but have found out that newer books also contain - let's say not so stellar evals. The problem is I don't have the time to truly eval opening positions like I used to and one needs to trust some sources. So far the game is a nice positional study. Positional play, defense and endgames were my main strength in high school/college but I made an error by overs etimating my position in this game. My main problem is that I like reading/collecting chess books and in doing so I support the local club.
  8. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 01:45
    Originally posted by kbear1k
    I'd also like to add a bit about trusting "book" evaluations without first really studying the line to see if it suits your style.
    I know all about trusting evaluation as I'm sure many others on here do. Many years ago I'd learnt a line against the Slav and I was blindly following the analysis in the book (which was favourable for me). I was quite pleased as this was my first outing and I knew I could expect an advantage at the end of the line.

To cut a long story short we played the first 17 moves quite quickly and suddenly in response to a check black plays his king to f7 and I was completely bust. It was new move in the position that the author of the book had not considered. I can safely say my opponent was VERY happy
  9. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 02:05
    Been there on both sides. There was a strong expert in the area who used to always play the Latvian (we all know the other name :>😉 ). Well, as a young 1890 player I tried the Bc4 line - heck it was agressive and complicated. Needless to same after getting crushed OTB in the complications a few times I studied the more "positional" lines and always defeated him thereafter. Granted by then my rating was a lot higher (more than his). I remeber a rated game at the club where I had previously seen Papp vs. Vargha - a game in Informat #29. I rattled off most of the opening in about 10-15 minutes It was a beautiful game. To bad I could not really take credit for it aside from knowing the position. BTW - I informed the clubplayers that the game was not original on my part.
  10. Philadelphia
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 03:23
    It's alright. I got it sussed now. Thanks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree