1. Joined
    12 Mar '07
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 06:18
    How is Stalemate recognized, or claimed, in the play at redhotpawn? I find no instruction, no FAQ, nor Forum thread. Thanks, Garybear
  2. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 06:20
    yea, it's recognized
  3. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 06:51
    Originally posted by Garybear
    How is Stalemate recognized, or claimed, in the play at redhotpawn? I find no instruction, no FAQ, nor Forum thread. Thanks, Garybear
    what's stalemate?
  4. Joined
    12 Mar '07
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 07:59
    Originally posted by GinoJ
    what's stalemate?
    A Stalemate is when a player has no other piece to move other than the King and while the King is not presently in check, all available moves would be moving into check. The game ends there without a winner.
  5. Joined
    24 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 08:33
    Originally posted by Garybear
    A Stalemate is when a player has no other piece to move other than the King and while the King is not presently in check, all available moves would be moving into check. The game ends there without a winner.
    Sorry to be pedantic, but that's not quite the whole picture. It's stalemate whenever the player to move, though not in check, has no legal moves. This can happen in several different ways, of which yours is just one example, though it is the most common.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I think RHP recognises it automatically, it doesn't have to be claimed. When you make a move which stalemates your opponent the computer declares a draw and the games ends without further input.
  6. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 13:23
    Originally posted by d36366
    Sorry to be pedantic, but that's not quite the whole picture. It's stalemate whenever the player to move, though not in check, has no legal moves. This can happen in several different ways, of which yours is just one example, though it is the most common.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I think RHP recognises it automatically, it doesn't have to be cla ...[text shortened]... alemates your opponent the computer declares a draw and the games ends without further input.
    This is correct.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 15:352 edits
    Originally posted by d36366

Anyway, in answer to your question, I think RHP recognises it automatically, it doesn't have to be cla ...[text shortened]... alemates your opponent the computer declares a draw and the games ends without further input.

Black to move.

Although in fairness to GaryBear he says "has no pieces to move other than the king" not "has no pieces other than the king".
  8. Joined
    24 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 21:14
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    [fen]kn5R/br6/8/8/8/8/6Q1/R6K[/fen]

Black to move.

Although in fairness to GaryBear he says "has no pieces to move other than the king" not "has no pieces other than the king".
    True, but he also says that stalemate means that "all available moves would be moving into check". It's also stalemate if there are no available moves, moving into check or otherwise. Admittedly this rarely if ever occurs in practice, but it is possible, as someone demonstrated to me on another thread recently.

I did say I was being pedantic, didn't I?
  9. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 00:441 edit

Black to move.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 01:43
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    [fen]8/3Q1Q2/2QRBRQ1/3BkB2/2QR1RQ1/3QKQ2/8/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]

Black to move.
    Well yes, but that position can never be reached because you'd need to promote 10 pawns.
  11. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 01:591 edit
    looks like 11 pawns to me

7 Queens
    2 Bishops
    2 Rooks
  12. SubscriberHelder Octavio Borges
    Luso-brasileiro
    Cajamar, SP
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 12:38
    The RHP robot recognizes and announces the stalemate automatically
    after the last move.

See Game 2780984 and Game 2780985.
  13. Joined
    12 Mar '07
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 02:06
    Originally posted by Helder Octavio
    The RHP robot recognizes and announces the stalemate automatically
    after the last move.

See Game 2780984 and Game 2780985.
    Thank you so kindly for answering the question directly and providing examples.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree