stalemate

stalemate

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
25 Oct 06

Originally posted by typen
Actually after rxb7 and white moves his rook away to whichever square he chooses, taking the h7 pawn would result in a checkmate. I think the better second move for black would be rg7+.
Yep.

The game concluded:

54...Rxb7 (draw offer) 55.Rd6 Rg7+ 56.Kh6 Rxh7+ 57.Kg6 (draw offer accepted)

White was down to three minutes on the clock, black had 55 minutes left.

White had a crushing advantage, but blundered in time pressure.

Here white played 54.h7??

s

Moves
25 Oct 06

Originally posted by tiggr
i don't understand why the site calls it a stalemate when i have 2 queens and his king boxed in. he had no square to move to that i didn't have covered. it was the 58th move. i had him on the ropes.
I had some trouble copping on to the stalemate rule for a while and finally managed to come up with the following to explain it to myself -

There are two conditions to checkmate, First that the threatened king has no legal moves and Second that if given one more move, the attacking side would capture the king.

So if you block the opposing king in, but wouldn't capture on the next move, its a stalemate.

P.S. - if this is wrong, will someone correct me please?

O

Moves
25 Oct 06

Originally posted by st00p1dfac3
So if you block the opposing king in, but wouldn't capture on the next move, its a stalemate.

Essentially correct, but again as a reminder - it's not just blocking the opposing king in, the opposing player must have 0 legal moves (i.e. you can have the opposing king trapped with no moves if the other player can move another piece).

p

Moves
25 Oct 06

I think you have the right idea on stalemate. It is stalemate if a person cannot make a legal move and they are not in check. It is checkmate if you cannot get out of check.

Moves
25 Oct 06

Originally posted by st00p1dfac3
I had some trouble copping on to the stalemate rule for a while and finally managed to come up with the following to explain it to myself -

There are two conditions to checkmate, First that the threatened king has no legal moves and Second that if given one more move, the attacking side would capture the king.

So if you block the opposing king in, ...[text shortened]... on the next move, its a stalemate.

Stalemate is when one side has no moves at all, normally when all the pawns are blocked and all the king flight squares are cut off. Since the king cant move into check the game is a stalemate.

s

Moves
25 Oct 06

Originally posted by Bedlam
Stalemate is when one side has no moves at all, normally when all the pawns are blocked and all the king flight squares are cut off. Since the king cant move into check the game is a stalemate.
right, sorry. I was thinking in terms of endgame problems where there is xxxx vs. king (so if the king has no legal moves, there are no legal moves.) thanks to you all though for the responses.

i think (for me) it was just necessary to remember that on the theoretical next move i would have to be able to capture the king.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
25 Oct 06

This problem, composed by J. Berger in 1890, is a terrific study. Perhaps posting it in this thread makes the solution easier to find.

White to move and draw.

E3

Moves
25 Oct 06

Originally posted by ChessJester
57...Qh5# was the right move there...
Better still 55. ... either Qe5 Mate.