Standard Chess Openings

Standard Chess Openings

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Philadelphia

Moves
25 Jul 06

Is this book any good? :
"Standard Chess Openings" by Eric Schiller, 1998Cardoza
Publishing, English Algebraic Notation, Softcover, 756pp., $24.95

T

Moves
25 Jul 06

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/standco.txt

SS

Moves
25 Jul 06

SS

Moves
25 Jul 06

T

Philadelphia

Moves
25 Jul 06

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
Hmm,by Eric Schiller.. I havn't read the book or even laid eyes on it but I don't like anything I've read by Eric Schiller. There's far better chess authors.
who would you recommend?

SS

Moves
25 Jul 06

G

Moves
25 Jul 06

Originally posted by TainoBrotha
Is this book any good? :
OH NOES!Put the book down and slowly back away!
Sadly I own that book,I use it to keep my door from slamming shut.Was gonna sell it on ebay but couldn't bring myself to do something so terrible to another human being.

SS

Moves
25 Jul 06

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
25 Jul 06

I think Schiller got busted once for engine use on ICC. That guy is a jackass.

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
25 Jul 06

OMG horrible.

G

Moves
25 Jul 06

Meh,Judith Polgar got caught using an engine as well.Can't remember what site it was....

a

Moves
26 Jul 06

I am also ashamed to admit I am the sad owner of this book. It claims "More than 3,000 Opening Strategies Inside!". When I was finished with this book, I had made over 3,000 corrections (written in the book by myself, some of which I had to add extra sheets of paper to compensate for the lack of open space where I could correct the thousands of mistakes!) and I am simply disgusted with this trash. There are a few cases in which Schiller misses mates in 1!!! Some diagrams show the wrong positions, there are mistakes in the notation (ie. Bg4 when there is a piece on d7 and the bishop is on c8), and the annotations are sloppy and obviously just thrown together in order to try and lure beginners into buying the book as a reference because of it's mammoth size. If there ever was a patzer, Eric Schiller is it.

MR

Moves
26 Jul 06

Originally posted by aenrko
If there ever was a patzer, Eric Schiller is it.
I don't think you can justifiably call someone a patzer who's rated 2200 FIDE. That's about the same as Dan Heisman's rating. But the difference between these two people is that Heisman puts a lot of effort into his writings, while Schiller doesn't. Schiller just cranks out potboilers and datadumps and calls them books.

But I agree with everyone here that, as a general guideline, you're best to stay away from anything with Schiller's name on it.

BTW, on a different note, various sources on the internet report that Schiller recently had a stroke. I do hope that he has a speedy recovery.

c

USA

Moves
26 Jul 06

Originally posted by TainoBrotha
Is this book any good? :
Winning Chess Openings is a great book if you need to learn about openings.

It shows the major openings and the major lines to them as well as variations.

T

Philadelphia

Moves
26 Jul 06

Originally posted by Gorgar
Meh,Judith Polgar got caught using an engine as well.Can't remember what site it was....
I "googled" Judith Polgar and didn't find anything on her using a chess engine. Where did you get this info?