1. Standard memberTimmyBx
    TacticsTime.com
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Moves
    16 Jul '12 21:29
    http://tacticstime.com/chess-improvement/stephen-coveys-teachings-applied-to-chess/
  2. Standard memberPureRWandB
    CCC Club Leader
    Denver, CO
    Moves
    17 Jul '12 02:441 edit
    R.I.P. Mr Covey - Nice article Tim.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    17 Jul '12 02:50
    Good job Timmy 🙂
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    17 Jul '12 11:49
    The big rocks/little rocks paradigm fits me perfectly, unfortunately. I have an incredibly diverse collection of little rocks in my chess repertoire, and I have neglected to add the big rocks (tactics) into my chess bucket ahead of time.

Nice work on this!
  5. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    17 Jul '12 21:37
    Thumbs up. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the article and read the comparison of chess and Playboy magazine. 😲
  6. London
    Moves
    17 Jul '12 22:54
    I don't think I've used the word lame before in reply to any internet post but this article is .... lame.

The rocks thing is an interesting visual lesson on the importance of order - in certain situations - but it can't be applied to all walks of life even if it is included as one of the 7 Habits.

And the analogy break down with chess, a player could spend some time on tactics, then positional play then endgame techniques, then a lot more on tactics without lossing out or damaging their overall potential.

The saw thing is dubious too, if players enjoy chopping down trees then let them get on with it (I enjoy playing and trying to improve that isn't for everyone).

Finally that playboy thing is pure marketing dross.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 15:25
    Originally posted by The Swine Down Hope
    I don't think I've used the word lame before in reply to any internet post but this article is .... lame.
    Ssshh... you're not allowed to say that about Saint Covey!

He's a Guru (official!) and a Genius (the whole Wall Street hanger-on crowd knows this... now!) and he Made Money and therefore his every word is sacred and his every trite, simplistic lessonlet is applicable to all walks of human life, including chess. It must be - if it weren't where would the USA be!?!?!?

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree