1. Joined
    17 Dec '02
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 11:131 edit
    Generally, 1.d4 leads to a strategical game for White (unlike the tactical games 1.e4 leads to). If I like playing strategical games, (opposed to sharp, tactical ones) then what is a good defense when I play Black? What are good, strategical defenses for both 1.e4 (if it exists) and 1.d4? Are they sound/considered good? Thanks.

Edit: Or are all games opened by 1.d4 considered to be strategical and all games by 1.e4 tactical? I assume not. Do I have a way to make the game strategical as Black, regardless?
  2. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 11:541 edit
    and what is the difference between "tactical" and "Strategical" games???

better yest can you provide examples??

as by my understanding Stratgedy is trading Knights and Bishops to get colour advantages, etc......Making trades giving your oppanant double/tripple/ isoloated pawns/ backward, etc keeping the gambited pawn and go to the endgame with it... -- did i miss anything?? am i right/wrong??

once more how does this happen by simply making a different first move?? --- does this priciple still apply if black decides to make obscure and odd replies?? (i.e A4)
  3. Joined
    17 Dec '02
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 12:171 edit
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    ...how does this happen by simply making a different first move??...
    I'd like to use your question to help clarify what I mean (and hopefully give you some help). I know, for example, that playing 1...c5 to 1.e4 (the Sicilian) leads to a very sharp, tactical game. As Black, I'd like to find an opening that doesn't--generally--lead to a game where tactical play is predominiant like the Sicilian does. I *think* an example of a strategical defense for Black would be 1...e6 (the French defense) where "you lack mobility in exchange for resilience and solidarity" (To quote Yasser Seirawan). My opening knowledge has a lot of room for improvement. I know a few of them, but I'm hoping all the wizzes here can help answer my question.

Edit: I prefer leisurely play vs. quick, sharp games.
  4. Joined
    28 Sep '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 14:15
    Originally posted by magnublm
    I'd like to use your question to help clarify what I mean (and hopefully give you some help). I know, for example, that playing 1...c5 to 1.e4 (the Sicilian) leads to a very sharp, tactical game. As Black, I'd like to find an opening that doesn't--generally--lead to a game where tactical play is predominiant like the Sicilian does. I *think* an example of a ...[text shortened]... here can help answer my question.

Edit: I prefer leisurely play vs. quick, sharp games.
    Against 1.e4 the Caro-Kann is, um, solid, but I like the French. Unless White bottles out with the Exchange Variation you go into strategically very interesting positions where the plans are relatively clear, the difficulty being actually carrying them out. One great benefit of the French is that you immediately go into positions you'll be more familiar with than your opponent.
    Against 1.d4 I have just started to play the QGD a bit which certainly leads to a less tactical game than the KID which I played in the past, but I'm new to it so reluctant to give any sort of recommendation.
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 14:33
    Kings indian>??

the two opening i play the most (by far) is the ruy lopez and the sicillian -- although i often go "against the book" 2,3 or 4 moves later.

but I'm not sure it leads to "sharp tactics" to me, the sicillian is rather straight foward and simple - its not like the blackmar gambit which is full of traps
  6. Joined
    28 Sep '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 16:16
    Kings indian>??

the two opening i play the most (by far) is the ruy lopez and the sicillian -- although i often go "against the book" 2,3 or 4 moves later.

but I'm not sure it leads to "sharp tactics" to me, the sicillian is rather straight foward and simple - its not like the blackmar gambit which is full of traps
    All very well to say the King's Indian deserves a ?? but it still gets played at GM level and below 2000 the relative strengths of different openings are negligible, their only function being to steer the game towards a certain style you are (hopefully) comfortable in.
    Above all play the openings you find fun to play.
  7. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 16:20
    Kings indian>??

The sicillian can be quiet, but is usually a wide open game where one tempo is can be the differnce between life and death. Just because an opening doesn't have tons of traps doesn't make it non-tactical. The fact that they tend to be open games leads to the possiblity of tactics (usually just implicit threats that the other side defends against..
  8. At Home
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 16:44
    Be gentle to one other!

There are no bad openings, unless you have a 2400 FIDE rating then you dont play a bad opening ! But .....

if the grandmasters with 2200 + FIDE rating play the damian defence, in every opening book (except the damian defence) you will find a line stating "this is not recommended or this is a bad 2nd move for black", but even grandmasters play 1. e4-e5 2. Nf3 f6. And it tells alot 2. think about the psychology OTB, the whiteplayers think (what ?!, did he find something that improves this line) time thinking starts at move 3 for white !

Its all about what kind of opening fits your personal style, someone like KI,some QA, some QD etc etc. everyone's personal choice. I prefer to play all, so my opponent 'never expects what i play and he has to choose before he begins.

Tactics and Strategy are completely different items. the Best way is to adopt the Steinitz Theory form 1920 (or so), it's still (and will be) valid and sound. For every beginner at chess a way to improve your skills by an easy study and easy to adopt.

grtz.
  9. Joined
    17 Dec '02
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 17:23
    So, against 1.e4, leisurely systems would be the Caro-Kann or the French; any others?

What about against 1.d4, or is everything after 1.d4 considered leisurely?

I'm trying to find a system I like. I've tried quick, tactical systems (KI and Sicilian), now I'd like to try some slower, more leisurely systems where strategy is more important.
  10. Dublin
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 18:17
    Originally posted by DoJoCleaning
    grandmasters play 1. e4-e5 2. Nf3 f6.
    Any examples?
  11. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 10:36
    Originally posted by Schumi
    Any examples?
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/explorer?node=1622421&move=3&moves=e4.e5.Nf3.f6&nodes=21720.21721.21722.1622421

thats all i found.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree