1. Fågelsången
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 13:34
    I had a vague idea of initiating a Study Group for Advanced beginners. The idea is to agree on a Title, read it and discuss the chapters according to some schedule. How does that sound? What title would be suitable? A book interesting for curious players in the 1300-1500 region.
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 14:101 edit
    Originally posted by sydsad
    I had a vague idea of initiating a Study Group for Advanced beginners. The idea is to agree on a Title, read it and discuss the chapters according to some schedule. How does that sound? What title would be suitable? A book interesting for curious players in the 1300-1500 region.
    You need to study basic tactics.

For example in this position recently obtained by me in a game vs a 1100-1200 player. What should white play and why?

3. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 16:28
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    You need to study basic tactics.

For example in this position recently obtained by me in a game vs a 1100-1200 player. What should white play and why?

[fen]R1BK1B1R/2P1P1PP/P1N5/1P1PnP1Q/1p2Np2/4p3/pbppb1pp/rn1kq2r[/fen]
    I do not see any spectacular tactical attack for white... Maybe I am blind but I would cowardly retreat my queen to d1 on order to avoid knight fork 😳
  4. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 16:512 edits
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    I do not see any spectacular tactical attack for white... Maybe I am blind but I would cowardly retreat my queen to d1 on order to avoid knight fork 😳
    Obviously! But white played Qa3 missing a fork. A basic tactical error.

There followed Nc2+ Kd1 NxQ

What should white now play and why?
  5. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 16:54
    Obviously! But white played Qa3. A basic tactical error.
    Well I'll admit it was a tricky puzzle, you had me staring at it for a while looking for some brilliant move when there wasn't one. I guess that is a lesson in itself. But it hardly counts as studying tactics I think.
  6. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 16:56
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    Well I'll admit it was a tricky puzzle, you had me staring at it for a while looking for some brilliant move when there wasn't one. I guess that is a lesson in itself. But it hardly counts as studying tactics I think.
    Agreed. The point I wish to make is that newbies miss these very basic tactics and until you master them at this level there is little point in moving on to greater things.
  7. Joined
    01 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 16:58
    I really like this idea!! Perhaps what we need is a "chat room" with a chess board accessible to all that are in the chat room.

I'm trying to mentor a beginner at present on this site and doing it really badly!! 🙁
  8. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 17:02
    Obviously! But white played Qa3 missing a fork. [b]A basic tactical error.

[fen]R1B1KB1R/2P1P1PP/P1N4n/1P1P1P2/1p2Np2/4p3/pbppb1pp/rn1kq2r[/fen]

What should white now play and why?[/b]
    White should press the resign button 🙂
  9. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 17:062 edits
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    White should press the resign button 🙂
    I'd go on the assumption that maybe black will screw up and hand the game back. The knight isn't going anywhere, no need to take it now. I'd grab the g pawn, hopefully unsticking the kingside a little and maybe attacking if he doesn't drive me back like he should. I don't like advancing the e pawn right now, at least at first glance, but that might be an option too, free up to eventually take the knight maybe.

Regardless, taking the knight loses the rook, so it needs to hold off until you can make it work.
  10. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 17:292 edits
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    I'd go on the assumption that maybe black will screw up and hand the game back. The knight isn't going anywhere, no need to take it now. I'd grab the g pawn, hopefully unsticking the kingside a little and maybe attacking if he doesn't drive me back like he should. I don't like advancing the e pawn right now, at least at first glance, but that might ...[text shortened]... less, taking the knight loses the rook, so it needs to hold off until you can make it work.
    Of course there is another tactic here. The pin - the b pawn cannot take the Knight because it is pinned in front of the Rook. That is exactly what my opponent did so I played BXR and am now a whole Queen up.

Thats 2 basic tactical errors in 2 moves, a fork and a pin.

Now if as Umbrage suggests if Nxg5 what about e7 for a 3rd tactical motif, the double attack!
  11. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 17:55
    Of course there is another tactic here. The pin - the b pawn cannot take the Knight because it is pinned in front of the Rook. That is exactly what my opponent did so I played BXR and am now a whole Queen up.

Thats 2 basic tactical errors in 2 moves, a fork and a pin.

Now if as Umbrage suggests if Nxg5 what about e7 for a 3rd tactical motif, the double attack!
    Good point on Nxg5, I'll admit I didn't really think it out, just picked a half-decent looking move that didn't lose the rook.

I did point out the pin though.

I'll agree, advancing the e pawn either e3 or e4 is probably the way to go.
  12. Fågelsången
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 06:01
    Originally posted by pinn
    I really like this idea!! Perhaps what we need is a "chat room" with a chess board accessible to all that are in the chat room.

I'm trying to mentor a beginner at present on this site and doing it really badly!! 🙁
    Yep, that sounds very usefull. A main problem is to pick a suitable book. I totally agree that Tactics is very, very important but tactical problems can be solved alone. My gut feel is that they seldom offer much of an discussion.

Perhaps Euwes "Master vs Amatuer" would be interesting to discuss and to use lessons learned from such a book to analyze games of our own?

Suggestions?
  13. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 09:36
    Euwe's "Master vs Amatuer" is a great book, and I am glad to see some interest in it in this forum. I have worked my way through about a third of the book and found it extremely instructive. Good choice. I am 1600+, but have to admit to some interest in your study group, nonetheless. Keep me posted. --basso
  14. Fågelsången
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 10:03
    Basso> I will keep you posted! Thank you for your interest in my tiny project. I might start a "Study Group Clan" for the project.
  15. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 12:281 edit
    Obviously! But white played Qa3 missing a fork. [b]A basic tactical error.

[fen]R1B1KB1R/2P1P1PP/P1N4n/1P1P1P2/1p2Np2/4p3/pbppb1pp/rn1kq2r[/fen]

What should white now play and why?[/b]
    King-90 degrees!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree