1. Tutong
    Moves
    05 May '06 09:51
    I'm wondering,what's the idea and theory behind this variation of the sicilian? Can anyone please explain me what sort of advantages black looking for in this position.😕
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    05 May '06 12:17
    From my experience with it, black gives up the d5 square in order to counterattack in the center/kingside.

The e5 push gains a tempo and controls d/f4. From there black play f5 at some point striking against the white pawn which controls d5 (in some lines he can do this twice). Black also has a very easy development

My best schivisnikov game
    Game 1900846
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    05 May '06 13:41
    Black gets active piece play, and excellent counterplay in exchange for some weaknesses in the pawn structure

Current theory goes out to move 22 or so in many lines
  4. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    05 May '06 13:58
    I play it myself, but am considering changing, as I just find it to hard to get anything against stronger players, due to the dreaded 'with compensation' syndrome!

Basically, black gives up a pawn quite often, and I find that the compensation you get is very hard to retain (black has to play accurate moves to keep the initiative, whereas white can play a move that is 'not the best', and still be fine.

This game is an example of why I am considering changing:
    Game 1200193
  5. Tutong
    Moves
    06 May '06 10:56
    Does anyone knows where one can get the complete theory behind it online?
  6. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    06 May '06 12:26
    Originally posted by Azie1809
    I doubt you can, the theory on it is massive.

If you can shell-out for a book, I have Yakovich's book 'The Complete Sveshnikov Sicilian', which is good, but the theory has been improved on in super GM games recently, so you are possibly better getting the newer book that I hear has been released (If anyone can tell me what it is called, so I can get it myself, please let me know!)
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    06 May '06 14:58
    One place to look is www.exeterchessclub.org.uk I don't know if they have anything on the Schvesnikov, but there's stacks of useful stuff there.
  8. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    06 May '06 15:52
    Originally posted by welsharnie
    I doubt you can, the theory on it is massive.

If you can shell-out for a book, I have Yakovich's book 'The Complete Sveshnikov Sicilian', which is good, but the theory has been improved on in super GM games recently, so you are possibly better getting the newer book that I hear has been released (If anyone can tell me what it is called, so I can get it myself, please let me know!)
    The latest book that I know of is 'The Sveshnikov Reloaded' by Dorian Rogozenko (published by Quality Chess) which came out last year. I have it and it's superb.
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    06 May '06 19:17
    Download all the games from The Week in Chess. Study them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree