tactic tactic

tactic tactic

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
18 May 07

Originally posted by zebano
Which I consider to be quite helpful.
I tried going through them with fritz to get answers, but there's just a lot of problems with no tactics. I gave up after a few dozen problems because of that. incredibly frustrating and unmotivating.

not that analyzing a position without a tactic wouldn't be beneficial, it's just not what solving a tactical puzzle should teach you, in my opinion.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
18 May 07

Originally posted by wakchessdragon
I know! It is too approximative question, but if you would make an research with 100 cantidates trying it, you would get some average result I guess.. Nevermind, I will try it anyway!
don't get us wrong, it's a very good idea, but nobody can tell you how much it'll help you. it completely depends on how much you put effort into it.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
18 May 07

Originally posted by ivan2908
Take an average 1500 OTB player, with average chess talent, IQ more then average (if this correlates at all with chess abilities), give him good tactical puzzle books and very good strategy book like Silman Amateurs mind . He solves at least 15 tactics daily, plays two OTB games daily and reads strategy book 30 minutes all that EVERY they. How far could he go in a year?
I've done a lot of hardcore chess studying in my past.

3+ hours everyday of studying chess - Reading books, going over games, tactics etc... This doesn't include playing chess.

Then playing chess, so more like 4+ hours a day, everyday for 2 years.

But I cannot see someone playing 2 full timer OTB games each day. Meaning Game in 120 min. Those games take 4 hours to complete most of time and are very draining.

So what kind of OTB games are you talking about? 30 min chess?

You need to get some longer time control OTB games in every month.

RK

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
18 May 07

It could potentially bring someone at 1500 up to around 1700 I would think... but this is hard to say.

I've never done any serious training and I'm at 1550. I'd like to think that if I did serious training I could reach 1700. Its a matter of commitment really.

c

USA

Moves
18 May 07

Take an average 1500 OTB player, with average chess talent, IQ more then average (if this correlates at all with chess abilities), give him good tactical puzzle books and very good strategy book like Silman Amateurs mind . He solves at least 15 tactics daily, plays two OTB games daily and reads strategy book 30 minutes all that EVERY they. How far could he go in a year?
You have more or less described me and my plan over the summer, though I do have endgames in their also. My goal; 1750 within a year.

c

USA

Moves
18 May 07

Originally posted by RahimK
I've done a lot of hardcore chess studying in my past.

3+ hours everyday of studying chess - Reading books, going over games, tactics etc... This doesn't include playing chess.

Then playing chess, so more like 4+ hours a day, everyday for 2 years.

But I cannot see someone playing 2 full timer OTB games each day. Meaning Game in 120 min. Those games t ...[text shortened]... t? 30 min chess?

You need to get some longer time control OTB games in every month.

RK
When I say OTB, I guess that most people interpret as G/30 or G/45 games, though I agree with your point about the importance of long games. That's why I usually try to play one long tournament a month

FL

over there

Moves
18 May 07

That plan could do much for your game, but wouldn't it be hard to keep up with? Also, wouldn't it be hard to find 2OTB games a day to play?

w

Happy village

Moves
19 May 07

30 minutes per player, I do not have someone to play two full length OTB games. I even don't want to spend that much time. Girlfriend, faculty, friends. I gotta keep my life 🙂