24 Oct '07 01:243 edits
    Fingers slipped...

Supposed to read "Tactics books/software/websites for *beginners*"

What do you recommend?
  2. Joined
    17 Dec '02
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 01:28
    I'm really looking for recommended tactics books for beginners, but if you know of tactics websites (other than the emerald server or the adaptive tactics server) or software, feel free to list them.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 01:31
    Originally posted by magnublm
    I'm really looking for recommended tactics books for beginners, but if you know of tactics websites (other than the emerald server or the adaptive tactics server) or software, feel free to list them.
    how about flipping through some of my games on this site?
    they're 99% brilliant (that is, brilliant until the last move. and in those cases, I was being possessed by Canadian Bacon covered with syrup)
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 01:33
    "303 Tricky Chess Tactics" and "303 More Tricky Chess Tactics", both the Wilson and Albertson.

"Sharpen Your Tactics", by Lein, et. al. Contains over 1000 tactics problems graded by difficulty.

"1001 Brilliant Ways to Checkmate" and "1001 Winning Chess Combinations and Sacrifices", both by Fred Reinfeld. These two books are available for free in pdf format. Do a Google search to find out where.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 10:45
    Fingers slipped...

What do you recommend?
    the software called "personal chess trainer" is just excellent for beginners.
  6. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 10:47
    Fingers slipped...

What do you recommend?
    Predator at the chess board is a good site. They explain the most tactical themes thoroughly and very well.
  7. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 12:02
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    "303 Tricky Chess Tactics" and "303 More Tricky Chess Tactics", both the Wilson and Albertson.
    Second this selection.

Also, for beginners, I would recommend reading Seirawan's Winning Chess series. Not the deepest books in the world, but written very well for those at the novice level.
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 13:54
    Fingers slipped...

What do you recommend?
    Start with "The Chess Kid's Book of Tactics", then Seirawan's Winning Chess Tactics, then Understanding Chess Tactics (for when the reader is fairly advanced).

Invaluable, free online reading can be found at chesstactics.org.

All the whilem the reader should be doing puzzles on sites like chess tactics server, or from books like Reinfeld's (recced above).

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree