1. 19th tee
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 12:32
    Just thought you might be interested in an anecdote taken from Bronstein's '200 open games' published by B.T. Batsford Ltd (London). In this book Bronstein describes his meeting with Dus-Chotimirsky in the Moscow match 'Locomotive' against 'Dynamo,' as follows:
    'It is commonly thought that chess is a game for silent people.
    As soon as my opponent had played 2 P-KB4 (after 1 P-K4 P-K4) I suddenly heard an angry, "And I'm having no refusal! Accept the sacrifice! If you don't take the pawn I won't continue the game."
    There was nothing I could do. I accepted the old maestro's gambit.
    Several moves later Dus-Chotimirsky played a hurried move, and whilst I was considering my reply, decided . . . to change his move!
    The spectators gasped, the judges wanted to stop the clocks, but Fedor Ivanovich suddenly shouted at everyone, "What on earth is this? Look, I made a bad move, and now I'm changing it for a good one. Rules, you say? To hell with your rules, this is chess! Besides, you don't object?" said my opponent, turning to me.
    "Please, it's my pleasure!"
    And the game went on as if nothing had happened.'
    (p.s. Bronstein won his game against Dus-Chotimirsky, the Giant-killer who had defeated the two men kwho tied for first at the great St. Petersbury 1909 Tournament, World Champion Lasker and Russian Champion Rubinstein).
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 19:07
    Originally posted by Dudley
    Just thought you might be interested in an anecdote taken from Bronstein's '200 open games' published by B.T. Batsford Ltd (London). In this book Bronstein describes his meeting with Dus-Chotimirsky in the Moscow match 'Locomotive' against 'Dynamo,' as follows:
    'It is commonly thought that chess is a game for silent people.
    As soon as my opponent had pl ...[text shortened]... y 1909 Tournament, World Champion Lasker and Russian Champion Rubinstein).
    Ah, it's so refreshing to know that we have touch move in place to avoid such situations.
  3. Standard memberShanshu311
    Vox Populi
    38.9265 N, 94.6372 W
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 19:20
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Ah, it's so refreshing to know that we have touch move in place to avoid such situations.
    Amen to that.

While I have done as many players have, and made a bad move...and even though I have wished I could take it back, I have never considered the option of allowing this to take place, in serious games.

If taking back moves was allowed, it would be chaos in here. I'm glad it's the way it is.

Though the anecdote was humorous to read.
  4. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 20:10
    Once in a OTB tmt. I wasn’t sure which of two moves my opponent would play in reply to my intended move. After I made it, he started thinking, so I got up and walked around. I kept checking my board from across the room to see if he had moved. After about 15 min. he moved, got up and started walking around. When I got back to my board, he had made BOTH moves.
  5. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 20:34
    Thats pretty funny masscat. Did he correct it or did you have to get the TD involved?

Also the original story is amusing, and shows Bronstein (one of my favorites) in a good light.
  6. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 20:361 edit
    Bronstein was one of the great players that seems to be a nice guy. Akiba Rubinstein was polish. Who is this Russian Rubinstein? Could a non Russian play for the Russian championship?
  7. Standard membercelticcountry
    Copyright ©2001-2006
    Eastbourne
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 20:44
    the man was a bully
  8. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 20:57
    Originally posted by zebano
    Thats pretty funny masscat. Did he correct it or did you have to get the TD involved?

Also the original story is amusing, and shows Bronstein (one of my favorites) in a good light.
    I knew something didn't look right & it took me a couple of min. to figure it out. By then they guy was back at the board and took back one of the moves.
  9. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 21:50
    Originally posted by masscat
    I knew something didn't look right & it took me a couple of min. to figure it out. By then they guy was back at the board and took back one of the moves.
    He should get thrown out for that unless if it was a friendly game and he was just messing around with you but from the way you said you guys were walking around it sounds like it was a serious game.

Call the TD over and give him the boot. No need to play any longer then you have to. Get your points and head home early 🙂

Did you guys heard about this guy name, Sam Lipwoski or something like that. He was a 2000 player I think and he was losing to this lower player and played this illegal move thingi and got busted?
  10. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    01 Mar '06 00:00
    200 Open games is one of the all time classics-it's practically a textbook on how to play 1.e4 e5. If you don't have it,get a copy,it's also highly entertaining,like all of Bronstein's books

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree